Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Can you hear the Angels sing?
Default Horrible person...   #1  
So my birthday was yesterday.... I got to go out to dinner saturday night with my boyfriends father and my boyfriend, then yesterday morning my boyfriend surprised me with my favorite breakfast, then for dinner My brother-in-law too me and my bf out and we had a really nice time, then we came home and had cake and White Russians...

But no one bought me a gift... Not even my bf. I'm calling myself a horrible person because I'm honestly upset about this... Am I that spoiled that I expect a gift even when Christmas is right around the corner? ><
Old Posted 10-08-2012, 09:59 PM Reply With Quote  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Not everyone is like this, but I'm at a point of my life where I would rather have a nice night out for my birthday than a physical, itemized "gift." Similarly, I would probably take somebody out for their birthday rather than getting them something. They may have thought that the dinners and breakfasts and such were gifts.

It's not wrong of you to want a gift, that's just your taste and preference. But I don't think your boyfriend was trying to make you feel bad by not getting you anything. I think there just might not have been a clear understanding of what you might have wanted or expected from your birthday.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 10-08-2012, 11:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Be afraid.
Default   #3  
coming from someone who rarely ever gets presents for christmas/birthday, id much rather i good night out with friends/family. theres nothing wrong with wanting something material though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem View Post
It was Ashy's abs that brought us forth

Gallagher is my eternal nemesis
I have Fen's Boobs
Nexy's Wench
Old Posted 10-09-2012, 12:09 AM Reply With Quote  
I feel like a spoiled brat though. Because I know my Bf planned that dinner with his dad saturday to make me happy.

I'm not saying anything to anyone though, I've been acting completely greatful and happy.
Old Posted 10-09-2012, 01:23 AM Reply With Quote  
Silent Scream
Default   #5  
That does not make you a "horrible" person. It's much better that you get quality time than quantity time, though~ I tell you. :'3

^Toxxic art
art by chocobo & honey
Old Posted 10-09-2012, 11:53 AM Reply With Quote  
Sweetie Boop Pirate
Do you want an honest answer? Rhetorical question.

I'm not going to sugar coat it for you. To me them taking you out to dinner, making you breakfast, and giving you a good time is a wonderful birthday. If you are upset about them not giving you a physical present then yeah you should feel that way about yourself.

When they totally forget about your birthday then you are free to be upset about it.
Join my Roleplay?
~> Espy Wants me for my Eye-patch <~
I am the Lascivious Knight
~Thank You Kaguya, Dawn, Nikko~

Old Posted 10-09-2012, 12:08 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #7  

You sound spoiled to me, sorry.
They took the time to take you out on many occasions, it should not bother you that you didn't get a present. You're being materialistic and overlooking a minor detail, and by doing so you're not appreciating what you got and becoming upset for no good reason.

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 10-09-2012, 12:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
I agree with the last two. I don't want to tell you it's absolutely fine to feel that way, or that different people have difference preferences. They acknowledged your birthday and did something special for you, giving you something no one else could have given you. If you would have rather received something materialistic, I think you should be ashamed. Talk to them, though. Tell them that you'd rather get something you can open than a special day with your loved ones.
I think I fell in love with the eighth world wonder. ♥
Old Posted 10-09-2012, 01:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Default   #9  
I feel horrible now that I wanted a gift. I really did have fun and enjoyed spending time with everyone. I guess I just expected something since my bf and I had just moved into our first house together. Maybe some pans or something?><
It's done and over though, Besides Christmas is two months away, I need to realize that 20 isn't a big birthday and I shouldn't expect anything fancy, need to grow up.
Old Posted 10-09-2012, 06:08 PM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee's Mad Hatter
I'm in my 30's
I got some birthday cards, a lotto ticket (Didn't win) and a trip to Olive Garden. It was nice not having to cook for a change. Then we had cake for my birthday when we got home.
I also got some well wishers from here as well, That was unexpected but hugely appreciated.

I think it depends on the family and to compare it to other families is silly. Some people get presents when they get older and some don't. One of my friends turned 40 and her husband bought her a new laptop. Either way it is nice to be thought of and a heck of a lot better than people forgetting your birthday.

And isn't housewarming presents (pots and pans) for when people get married?
Old Posted 10-09-2012, 07:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Default   #11  
I thought housewarming presents were simply for when you move into your first house lol.
Old Posted 10-09-2012, 07:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee's Mad Hatter
I don't know, I have a very traditional italian family so they always do it when one of the "clan" gets married.
Old Posted 10-09-2012, 10:31 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
Default   #13  
My parents forgot my 19th birthday, so on my 20th birthday they rented a jet and we took an hour trip to have pancakes. Sometimes the experience and the memories are worth more than an item.

But I do understand wanting to have some small token for your birthday. I like getting like a silly teddy bear or something that I can cuddle in the future, so I do understand. You do not need to feel horrible it's just a preference on whether you wanted something to have or something to remember.

Old Posted 10-09-2012, 10:36 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
You can't help what you feel upset over, so don't feel upset for feeling upset. Since you recognize that your family did other things for you than I'd say no, you're not a horrible person. People do what people do, your family took you out for dinner rather than buying you an object, and I think being accepting of that is more important than fretting over what upsets you.
Old Posted 10-10-2012, 12:22 AM Reply With Quote  
Mercury Poisoning!
Default   #15  
Honestly? The outing you had is a gift. I really don't think you should take that for granted. Gifts are meaningless really. If that's the token you need to feel appreciated, you should think on that. Can't people who don't care about you get you a gift then to pacify you? People who genuinely care for your happiness shouldn't need to purchase it.
Old Posted 10-10-2012, 02:09 AM Reply With Quote  
CHEEZBURGER?!
Like others have been saying, I think you should see the nice outing as a gift, and not expect others... But also don't beat yourself up or go calling yourself a horrible person because you were a little disappointed.
Old Posted 10-18-2012, 11:00 PM Reply With Quote