Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Forward Thinker
Default Toho's Dev Diary, 3 Dec - Item Tagging   #1  
Hey guys! I skipped last week because Thanksgiving, and, well, been not hugely productive this week, so I don't have any sweet new screenshots for you.

But, of course, there's always stuff to talk about!

I'm planning on putting out this week a page of the Item Viewer that will present you with a random item out of our selection of items, and ask you to tick everything that applies from a list of tags.

Why?

So the avatar editor, and item viewer, will have them available to sort and search by. That, and you'll get some aurum and such for helping. I think a bit of runes for helping out a lot, too. :)

I've mentioned this in past dev diaries, of course, but what I've been doing recently is actually setting up the data for tags.

We have tags (currently 40 of them) for color, type, and theme. An item can have any number of tags. Tags are sorted as well, so that you can find the tags themselves more easily. (and so can I.)

Now, there's lots of tagging I can do on my own just using the data I already have for items, and I'll have all of those sorted out shortly, and then I can concentrate on having the actual interface for users updating tags.

There are, in case you were unaware, 37 different "common color" sets. 36, plus the "flesh tones" of our default bases. But there are only 16 color tags. This is an intentional choice: The various common sets have many varieties, and have some color overlaps, as well. Galla & I went through all our color sets and established what colors should be set for each of those earlier today.

Commons are also already sorted as being tops, bottoms, shoes, etc, so it'll be easy enough to figure out those tags, but things get more complicated when we start looking at event items, RIG items, and donation items, which all get sorted as event, special, and donation no matter what's in them...

...Hence the need for "crowd sourcing" the tagging.

Once item tagging is all set up, and items start getting their tags (past those ones I can mass-do myself), then both Avatar Editor and Item Viewer will be one step closer to being complete.

The next step in the Editor, in case you're curious, is to set up the Closet.
Old Posted 12-03-2016, 07:35 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Let's talk about the Closet feature some.

In the avatar editor, there's going to be a button directly under the save button that opens a "closet." It'll start with a few slots, but can be expanded. Using the closet, you can save whatever you currently have equipped directly into a slot, so that you can pull it back out later.

When you load up something from the closet, you can choose to either replace everything you have equipped with what you've picked, or you can add the closet set on top of what you already have equipped.

Naturally, if you don't have an item anymore, or all of yours are already equipped when adding the closet entry on top, the items won't actually be added, and you'll get a notice that this has happened.

The idea behind treating the closet in this way (letting you add things on top, instead of treating the slots as entire avatars always) is that Trisphee avatars can get complicated. We have lots and lots of items, and you can fiddle with so much layering.

Maybe there's one aspect you like to always keep (like, say, you've figured out the perfect base skin using a series of semi-transparent ones), but want to be able to wipe out your avatar and put that bit back. Now you can!
Old Posted 12-03-2016, 07:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Default   #3  
Toho, you are brilliant! I'm stoked for being able to keep the same skin and facial features without having to go through and make it again!!! I'd love to make new avatars but I get so attached to the ones I've made and taking multiple screenshots of the layering is annoying. It's going to be so much more fun playing with avatars knowing that I'l be able to save them. How many slots will we be able to save in our closets?
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 12-04-2016, 04:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Haven't decided on number of slots yet, but it'll be a passable amount to begin with, and an option to add more.
Old Posted 12-04-2016, 07:45 PM Reply With Quote  
Jellosexual
Default   #5  
/fills each slot with 50 layers
/equips them all at once

BRILLIANT, TOHO, AND DEFINITELY WHAT YOU IMAGINED!!! =D

but seriously, it's gonna be really cool!
Old Posted 12-04-2016, 10:23 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
You can already equip hundreds of items if you really want. :P
Old Posted 12-04-2016, 10:26 PM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
Default   #7  
That closet feature is mhmhmmm mhmhmm good.

Old Posted 12-05-2016, 02:33 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I did the hard work on it years ago. ._. Toho's just getting off his fishy bum and putting an interface on it.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-05-2016, 03:31 AM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Default   #9  
A LIKELY STORY

Old Posted 12-05-2016, 03:35 AM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
I hear your story, I hear it. But it's not a fun story. It needed sharks with lasers on their heads in order to make it believable.

Old Posted 12-05-2016, 03:54 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #11  
Can I mount a laser to Toho's head? That's not TOO far off.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-05-2016, 11:19 AM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
Toho is secretly a shark?! This story is getting interesting.

Old Posted 12-05-2016, 03:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Default   #13  
I am typically viewed as a fish person, for reasons that I surely cannot decipher.
Old Posted 12-05-2016, 03:17 PM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohopekaliga View Post
I am typically viewed as a fish person, for reasons that I surely cannot decipher.
All worn items are made out of fish.

- Superfight

Old Posted 12-06-2016, 12:02 AM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Default   #15  
Maybe that's why I always seem to be missing most of my clothes...too tasty. :P

Also. For those of you on Chrome (which is the majority), I have no idea how I never noticed the display bug before, but the buttons under shop (and item viewer) avatar previews are now properly aligned.
Old Posted 12-06-2016, 11:30 AM Reply With Quote