Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Mother Ship
Default Thinking of getting a new laptop   #1  
And since I am very cheap and only have an Amazon gift card to buy it with...I'm thinking of getting this: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satell...ct_top?ie=UTF8

What do ya'll tech-savvy people think about this one? I shall be using it for things like surfing the internet, writing, netflix, youtube, and playing Diablo 3/Goat Simulator/Dragon Age Origins.
Old Posted 02-20-2016, 11:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
You'll have to turn the graphics settings down for high-end games, because the HD 5500 graphics hardware sucks (I mean, it's good for what it IS, very bang-for-your-buck, but it's low-end), but that seems pretty reasonable. You might be able to hit a lower price point if you shop around more aggressively but there's nothing obviously wrong with that.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-21-2016, 12:34 AM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #3  
Well on Amazon, everything lower priced either has half the ram, or is an i3 processor (which I'm not knocking that, but both of those combined...since I don't care about hard drive space too much, since an external is 50 dollars...are in the lower priced ones...I WANT THE RAM D: ALL THE RAM ARE BELONG TO ME!)
Old Posted 02-21-2016, 12:36 AM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
That's a nice small laptop. Will probably run nicely for a good 3-4 years until you should even consider upgrading it in anyway. As long as your not doing any heavy duty gaming, doing video editing, or running any sort of art program you should be fine.

I own a Toshiba as well and they have okay customer service. But due note that have a ton of bloatware on the computers that you should clean out day one (find a free bloatware cleaner online after downloading a virus protector. I suggest downloading the free Panda Anti-Virus then the bloatware cleaner.)

Other then that you should be golden.

Old Posted 02-21-2016, 08:35 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #5  
If it's running Windows 10, then DON'T install Panda. The built-in virus-protection software in Win10 is better than Panda.

If it's NOT running Windows 10... Consider upgrading it to 10, since that's free. :P
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-21-2016, 09:26 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
It has windows 10 (and I ordered it after debating on it for awhile before even posting it here)

I plan on uninstalling McAffee or whatever comes on it and putting AVG on it. I love AVG (free obviously)
Old Posted 02-21-2016, 11:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #7  
Got the laptop and have been trying to make a recovery USB...hours later and it has failed at least twice. Wry you hate me Windows?

AVG won't install...keep getting this error: Error code: 0xC0070643
Description: Event exec_finished

So any suggestions for good free antivirus that isn't Avast?
Last edited by Yokuutsu; 03-03-2016 at 03:18 AM.
Old Posted 03-02-2016, 06:48 PM Reply With Quote