Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Thorns and Claws
Default Being sucked into financial issues   #1  
So for most of my life I have worried over money, it's mainly my mother's fault because she's never been one to handle money well.. AT ALL. Lucky for me I was raised during my younger years under the eye of my grandparents so I got my save your extra money at the end of the week from my grandfather. (also if it weren't for them i'd probably still have the same outfit from back in the 1st grade until.... )

But anyway so back on topic here.. My mother has no clue how to save money. Granted she's not at a high paying job but she's not the lowest pay either. But instead of saving money she'll find stuff on sale or buy stuff from yard sales and bring it home. Her bad habit of smoking isn't helping either we all know that they cost a arm and a leg.

Needless to say the house is a mess and stays in that condition because she continues to bring things home that we'll probably never use. ~sighs~ But to top all of this off she can't keep up with her bills no matter what she does even though my grandfather recently paid the trailer off we've lived in now for the past five or so years. I don't understand why she bothered to buy this trailer and rent the land we're on if she couldn't afford the bills ...

Then I get suckered into helping her (well she goes into my purse and takes any money i leave in it every so often). I honestly don't mind paying rent, but on top of the rent we pay for the internet/phone bill and whenever the car insurance is due I help pay on that as well. Then whenever i get some form of money coming in my mom's all like "oh im not trying to take all of your money" or some similar line... it hurts really i mean deep down i want to believe her but it seems like it's her fault im even this bad off on funds.

A few years back I had 4 or 5 saving bonds and the cd that me and my grandfather had worked hard on over the years. But all of that money (over 5000 easily) was turned into paying for the rent and anything else.. i was buying my own food at tat time i even had a bloody job! All of that money was suppose to help me in college.. well seeing as I just did start college it hardly managed to help me there.

In more recent events my car's acting up so it needs to be worked on.. before i get into a wreck or something from it being stupid. So i told her when I get the check from the college of funds that i have left over then i need to get my car fixed.. it's dangerous to drive in it's current condition.. Her first reply was we need to work out something for the rent cause we can't just give her nothing =/

If it were my kid sure i'd expect a little rent but seeing as only Kano has a job and they have drastically cut hours.. we hardly have any spare money. Shoot im sitting here wishing i had a few spare dollars so i could go get something to eat D< Also if it were my kid i'd be more worried about their well being on the road.. it's already not the safest place to be let alone if your cars acting up with the accelerator.

~sighs~ ok i really needed to vent all of that out .. so the point of this thread now whats your thoughts or comments on this situation? :) before you ask yes i am still looking for a job though my mom is against it because she thinks they'll take away the grant money.. but i highly doubt it cause i doubt it..
Old Posted 09-12-2011, 08:52 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
i think any means of breaking money ties with your mother would be worth it, even if she is not pleased or throws a fit. at this rate you will remain below poverty level and she will learn nothing
Old Posted 09-12-2011, 08:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Default   #3  
Oh, Rose. I can relate. I have no sound advice because I don't know what to do with my own mother. Same story, she doesn't know how to manage her money and leeched off of me until I moved out only flash forward a few years and she's moved in with me. She doesn't pitch in on bills and wants to quit her job. It puts a strain on me and my husband's relationship - and I don't know what to do. I can't kick her out, she my MOM but something's going to have to change.

Sorry there's no advice here, just commiseration.
. .

Old Posted 09-12-2011, 08:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Thorns and Claws

well i know what i should do but each time i try she pulls the whole your living here for almost nothing deal.. and its true we dont pay most of the bills but we do cover at least half of them .__. and in truth we couldn't afford this place if it were just me and kano but then again we wouldn't have bought the place either.. D;

Old Posted 09-12-2011, 09:25 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #5  
They will take grant money away from you. The grant money all depends on the family's income. If your combined income goes above a certain level it means less grants for you, but probably...you won't get above that from what I read.

In my family, I'm living with my mother still, in my final year of college, I buy my body wash, pads and other shit at the beginning of semester (And some things I don't need....other than it keeps me sane). But I live rent free. We own the place and the cost of living is probably cheaper here. But your mother stealing your own money? After the first time....I'd never leave my money unattended. It isn't that hard to ask for money. I'll either say yes...or I'll say no.

I would say move out, but I don't think that is too much of a choice right now. How much is your lot rent? Around here it might be a max of 120 a month....and includes the water bill....at least in some places.
Old Posted 09-12-2011, 09:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Thorns and Claws

around here a one bedroom at the cheapest is 658 a month not including electric bill and internet.. let alone our phone bill =/ plus food costs

and yeah i dont leave money in my purse anymore .. D; i just keep it on my card so i play with my 20$ to my name atm .__.;

with Kano's current job and if i got something we'd still struggle with getting our own place .__.; if i last out two more years then maybe i can get a job in what my major is and we'll be ok then..

Old Posted 09-12-2011, 10:04 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #7  
Damn...my aunt was paying 400 a month for a three bedroom. Now, she had to pay all bills...but still....damn .-.

Well, I'm glad you don't because the first time people steal from me...(at least if it is something worth money or is money) that's the last time I trust them.

Considering theprice you just told me....yeah ya'll would struggle...and I bet your projects wherever you are, are way more dangerous than they are here .-.
Old Posted 09-14-2011, 12:03 PM Reply With Quote  
CHEEZBURGER?!
I've been there myself. Currently my only form of income is EBT and I bum off my two best friends for housing.
Old Posted 09-16-2011, 01:21 PM Reply With Quote  
Thorns and Claws
Default   #9  

well there is good news to this story my friend is going to get a 5 bedroom 4 bath house thats closer to the college and we're going to have (or our plan is) we're going to have four couples living in it.. and we'll each at max be paying 150 a month for our share we'll pay our own food and stuff and we'll probably split the internet bill four ways but still D;

Old Posted 09-18-2011, 11:04 AM Reply With Quote