Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

writing machine in bad repair
Default What are your favorites?   #1  
Favorite everything! Favorite books, favorite genres, favorite authors.

I might even turn this into a bit of a collection/resource for people looking for book recommendations to check out. :3

My list of favorite books is so long that I can't quite remember it myself most of the time, but my favorite genres are fantasy, humor, and historical fiction.

Last edited by johnny; 07-22-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old Posted 07-22-2010, 06:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Mythological-Valkyric-Queen of Ace
My MOST favorite book is the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, who happens to be my most favorite writer as well. Her work is really incredible, her story lines and plots are very creative. Once you start reading, it will be hard to stop.
I like fantasy books the most, but I also like romantic novels from time to time.

I am the Typhoon Knight of Chaos
I am the Mythological-Valkyric-Queen of Ace

Announcement// Stay tuned for an up-coming art shop of mines during the summer. A preview will my provided in my signature.
Quest Log// Coming soon...
Current funding's// 623 Aurum
Old Posted 07-22-2010, 06:17 PM Reply With Quote  
Resident ghost caracal
Default   #3  
For the longest time, I didn't have a very favorite book. I had circle of books that I enjoyed more than others, but I couldn't crown the King or Queen of them.

Now, I call "The Last Dragon", "The Last Elf" and "The Last Ogre" by Silvana de Mari my favorite book(s). I don't split them up as such in my mind though, they go under the name of "The Last Elf" for me. XD

We "met" rather strangely - I am part of somesort of children book club, where you must read certain books in about half a year, and then pick 3 favorites. "The Last Elf" was the last for me to read and I was very annoyed that I really HAD to read it. The Latvian cover and description had thrown me off twice before it came up on this book club's list.

But when I opened it, I was immediately drawn into it, finished in about 4 hours. I both cried and laughed reading it. And it has remained my favorite ever since. I love how it is written, the idea behind it, the translation from Italian to Latvian. Everything about it. Sadly, I have seen bits of English translation and it's far from perfection. -sighs-

Now, when I have finished about my MOST favorite book, I can move onto the Special Circle. XD

Much like Johnny, I sometimes forget to mention some books from the Circle, because there are just so many of them, but I will try to list them all (except the ones that are purely creations of Latvian authors, since I would have to try to translate their titles and all that). -nods- (listed in somewhat precise order I read them)

"Anna of Green Gables" by L. M. Montgomery
"The Neverending Story" by Michael Endde
"Zamba" and "Modok" by Ralph Helfer
"Stravaganza" series by Mary Hoffman(Well, when I last picked it up, I didn't enjoy it so much anymore though...)
"Bartimaeus Trilogy” by Jonathan Stroud
"Chronicles of Ancient Darkness" by Michelle Paver
"The Satan's Bible" by Richard Dubell (A historical fiction, with wrong English name, since it's German book and I don't think it's published in USA)
”Jane Eyre” by Charlotte Bronte
"Nightpool" by Shirley Rousseau Murphy (I wish I had got a chance to read the rest of the "Dragonbards" series ._.)
"The Last Elf" by Silvana de Mari
"The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins
"The Martian Chronicles" by Rad Bradbury

Many of them are fantasy or some sort of fiction, I enjoy historical fiction quite a lot, personally. But there are also some real stories told, like Zamba and Modok, amazing stories about an elephant and lion, that I love quite much.

.... I bet I forgot at least 3 or 4, but I suppose this is the current list. x3
~ Hello, I am Sadrain, a ghost Caracal, but you can call me Rainy.
Nice to meet you. =^-^= ~
~Questing: Yearlies, RIGs, Lot of MIs, RUNES (always), Aurum
Shop: Selling MOST EIs | NOT updated buying thread ~

|~ Status:
Questing so much things I don't know where to start ~|

~Manning Crow's Nest on Haunted Galleon under Captain Lawtan's rule ~
Old Posted 07-23-2010, 05:41 AM Reply With Quote  
Confused
Oh gosh, favorites, huh? Goodness gracious. I always have a terrible time picking favorites. :3 I have at least three favorite colors and goodness knows how many favorite foods.

But of all my favorites, the most numerous are my favorite books. It's best I don't even go into them. XP Or I'll keep you here forever. XD So, lets just stick with my favorite genres, shall we?

The whole fiction-section. (Except the romance ones. I don't mind romance in a story but if that's all it's about, well, it's boring. :P) Fantasy, Science-Fiction, Mystery, Horror, Literary, etc. And bits of the Non-fiction section. :3 History is fun and Ethology, oh, and Philosophy. :3 Mostly stuff like that.
Old Posted 07-28-2010, 12:00 AM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Default   #5  
Favorite Books: "The Cat Who" Series, "The Vampire Chronicles", "Cirque Du Freak", "The Black Unicorn (sequels are The Red Unicorn and The Gold Unicorn)", "The Grand Escape (and its sequels)"

Favorite Genres: Murder, Mystery, Adventure, Horror, Fantasy, Mythology.

Favorite Authors: Anne Rice and Lilian Jackson Braun.

There is one book series I cant remember the names of or the author. There was this woman who owned a bakery and she solved murders. The title of the books always had cakes, muffins cookies and such in it.

The Black Unicorn is a very good Fantasy about a young girl who finds Unicorn bones and fixes them up by using mechanics. The Unicorn comes to life and I forget the rest. Currently looking for the 3 Unicorn Books.

The Grand Escape is about 2 house Cats, Marco and his brother Polo. They want to learn about the great out doors and they are fascinated about what they find. When in 7th grade my school's library had a book sale. They didn't have the first or second book but they had the Third "Carlotta's Kittens". Since Carlotta was one of my favorite Strays in the Grand Escape I bought the book and later did a book report on it. We had to write about the book and make something that would look like it came from the story. I took a think small stick, and glued pet fur onto it *My cat (Tom at the time: RIP Tom Cat)'s fur wasnt long enough so my grandfather cut some fur off of his dog. I took it in as one of the cat tails that a cat ganster hung on a fence to show others not to enter his territory or else. I pretty much grossed out everyone in my class. That was the first time, since Middle school started, i had felt popular. xD

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 07-28-2010, 05:39 AM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee Police Force
I love practically everything by Mercedes Lackey, Garth Nix, Tamora Pierce, Robin McKinley, Meredith Ann Pierce, and most of Anne McCaffrey's works barring a few.
Old Posted 08-14-2010, 07:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Fluffy, smooshy an oh so nommy!
Default   #7  
I love Mercedes Lackey and all her books. I think that between her book series' and the Wicked Series I am well satisfied. ^_^
Old Posted 08-25-2010, 08:11 AM Reply With Quote  
Zombie Platypus
My favourite of all the favourites has GOT to be A Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin, and hopefully soon ill be able to add the sequel The Midnight Mayor to that list :'D
alors on danse.
Old Posted 09-05-2010, 12:13 AM Reply With Quote  
THIS. IS. SPAR -shot- ... *gurgle*
Default   #9  
I'm pretty bad with names, but a few of them stuck. I really adore Garth Nix and pretty much anything he writes. A few of Stephen King's books are in my fav's "Desperation" and "Cell". When I was a teenager my favorite series to read was "Vampire diaries" ooooh~ Damon. <3 Fufufu. (very disappointed in the tv show qq)
Favorite Genre, definitely Fantasy; also horror, thriller, humor, mystery, etc. I love a good Biography. Just about anything really.
Old Posted 09-05-2010, 08:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Capitan Marvelous~!
Oh I love many books but can never remember the authors name but I do remember the books.

I happen to like these books.

Wicked
Son of a Witch
Lion Amongst Men

Nikko's Cosplay's,Nikko's Cosplay Cafe, Dapper Dreams Joint Venture
Cosplaying: N/A
Reyo is my Tropical Mistress ~ <3, Lucid is DELISH and the best nana ever!
Is known as Black Japan - Hetalia

Nikko is a beautiful prince.
Old Posted 09-16-2010, 02:09 PM Reply With Quote  
THIS. IS. SPAR -shot- ... *gurgle*
Default   #11  
Hmm... Too many to name. At the moment my favorite book is Water For Elephants.
Old Posted 09-16-2010, 07:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Woo, Graduated High School
I love Terry Pratchett's Discworld series which are satirical fantasy. I also like Yiddish Policemen's Union and Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus books, both of which are mysteries.
Old Posted 09-19-2010, 03:36 PM Reply With Quote  
The Infernal Knight
Default   #13  
Johnny got his Gun, by Dalton Trumbo.

The story was written shortly after WWI and is about a man named Joe, who after being caught in the blast of a motot impact on the front lines, looses his arms, legs, and majority of his face and is classified as "decerebrated". Believing that his cerebellum is no longer in tact doctors keep him alive; thinking he is beyond brain dead in order to learn from him to help other soldiers. But he isnt brain dead. This Anti-war novel is violent, brutal, and ruthless. Reading from the perspective of Joe as he tries to understand and live in his knew existance, the novel forces the reader to stop and think about war, not from a political perspective, or a historical perspective, but from the human perspective.
Old Posted 09-25-2010, 11:26 PM Reply With Quote  
Jedi Ninja Cookie Sage

Im an old school fantacy readers. I'm a huge fan of Terry Brookes, Salvatore, Robert Jordan and Tolken. My favorite book has been the same thing since I was 10. The Hobbit although Tolken is not my favorite author Brooks is. Which I feel is a bit odd because none of Brooks books comes anywhere near how much I adore The Hobbit. I think The Hobbit is just one of those books that I have a strong emotional attachment to.

Old Posted 09-26-2010, 01:15 AM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Default   #15  
I could no sooner choose a favorite star in the heavens.
I have so many favorites its hard to choose. There is one book that I find myself reading again and again. The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
Old Posted 09-26-2010, 02:42 AM Reply With Quote  
R-Rated Fortune Cookie
I love everything Mercedes Lackey, books and songs.
But the series I'm reading now is the one from Kim Harrison about the Hollows. My guilty pleasure is Christine Feehan novels about the Carpathians and their lifemates. Kind of trashy, but lots of action. ;3

✤The Nova Knight, EXPLOSION WEEKEND✤
-Seme of Poggio-|*Ixtab*|-Coro's Closet-

No one can whistle a symphony. It takes an orchestra to play it.

Old Posted 09-26-2010, 03:58 AM Reply With Quote