Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Posty McPostsALot
Default Writing!   #1  

I've been writing a lot this week. My work cut my hours so I decided that I was going to focus and make myself flesh out the stories that I've been working on.

I have three; a sci-fi, a fantasy and one set during a zombie apocalypse! Right now I'm mostly focusing on the fantasy story. ^^ I started making religions, historic events, demons, gods and goddesses, etc. It's really fun!

Some characters resemble people that I know in person, all who consented to being included in my stories. They're all super excited to see where I place them and I can't wait for them to see the final product! I'm aiming to make a web comic series after I'm done fleshing it out then later a video game. I had a friend offer her programming skills and she also produces really great music so she's going to do the OST. I'm super excited guys!

Do you write? If not, what is something that you enjoy doing?

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 05-16-2017, 10:04 AM Reply With Quote  
C'mere
i like to write, but i don't really do much of it due to lack of time, motivation, and inspiration.
no ongoing projects at the moment unless you count the one my friend and i have been working on for years, but it's not strictly based in writing. more like a bunch of RPs, notebook drawings, and pooled notes and ideas. we'd really like to do something with it one day, whether that's a show of some kind or just a webcomic or whatever.

but as for just writing, all i really do now is the occasional short standalone scene--usually just smut tbqfh.
i used to make poems, but i started feeling like poetry was pretentious and have yet to be able to shake that feeling enough to get back into it.
Old Posted 05-16-2017, 10:22 AM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #3  

Oh, cool! Would you ever be willing to share any of your writing or do you keep it to yourself? If you want we can chat about our characters and all. ^^

Some of the characters in my fantasy were created specifically for a RP with a former long-term RP partner of mine. We haven't written anything together for a while now, but a few years ago she gave me permission to continue using a few characters for my story so I did. I miss RPing but it's really difficult to find someone that I connect with tbh.

I go on Tapas to read web comics, you can create an account to upload your own content. They also have a "tipping" system, subscribers can help fund your content! Also if you use Patron you can get monthly subscribers and charge them a fee ( not sure if it's a set fee or if you set it, never looked into it much ). Usually people will subscribe to you for monthly updates, sneak peeks, contests, etc. I heard that it's a good way to get funding.

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 05-16-2017, 10:32 AM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
I used to write a lot, until about 15 years ago when I sort of felt like life was slipping away from me, so I let it go to focus on other things. However, the itch to write has returned and along with drawing I decided to write a story that I started 15 years ago, and write it in webcomic form.

Now that I think about it, I also did some writing here with a roleplay group about 4 years ago, that I regret dropping out of. But I also try not to focus much on that since I can't change the past XD It was a very fun experience and one of the things that helped me to reawaken creatively, so to speak.

Nyreen, I didn't realize Tapas had functionality like that! I might take a look into it. As for Patreon, funding tiers are set by the creator, but it's always the customer's choice on how much to spend in the end.

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 05-16-2017, 10:52 AM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serra Britt View Post
I used to write a lot, until about 15 years ago when I sort of felt like life was slipping away from me, so I let it go to focus on other things. However, the itch to write has returned and along with drawing I decided to write a story that I started 15 years ago, and write it in webcomic form.

Now that I think about it, I also did some writing here with a roleplay group about 4 years ago, that I regret dropping out of. But I also try not to focus much on that since I can't change the past XD It was a very fun experience and one of the things that helped me to reawaken creatively, so to speak.

Nyreen, I didn't realize Tapas had functionality like that! I might take a look into it. As for Patreon, funding tiers are set by the creator, but it's always the customer's choice on how much to spend in the end.

Woah, that's a long time! But I understand why. Sometimes you need to focus on more important things and so much gets put on the back burner. I've been writing on and off since I was reeeeally little and there was a three, maybe more, year hiatus where I didn't really do much except for the occasional scribble or note.

What's your story about? If I may ask.

Yeah, I discovered Tapas a while back and didn't realize you could easily upload content with seemingly no obstacles. I don't think you need to pay to upload your content or anything, I think you can just do it! That's good to know about Patreon, I'm probably going to set one up when my webcomic starts and I can guarantee content, etc for those subscribed. Thanks for letting me know! ^^

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 05-16-2017, 10:58 AM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
My story is about a detective who find herself in an alternate reality with different physical laws, or at least everyone who lives there seems to think there are, because she doesn't notice any differences. The premise of the story was to make fun of some tropes, but it ended up evolving into something I could work into a full blown story.

Heh, I feel like every time I condense it down I leave out more things out because I'm worried it might spoil some plot points I have written out for the future XD

Knowing about Tapas, maybe I'll upload it there as well. I'm starting it in a couple weeks. Took several months to prepare for it XD

As a semi related side note, for anyone planning to start a webcomic, you should draw 20-30 pages in advance before putting anything up. One, it gives you a nice backlog right from the outset. And two, it gives you an idea of how much you're comfortable to draw, so you can choose an appropriate updating schedule. This is some good advice I got from a friend who's an established webcomic author herself ^_^

Serra's Art Gallery

Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 05-16-2017, 11:10 AM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #7  

That sounds really cool! Also I know how you feel haha, I'm currently making an art request thread. I'm trying to put enough details to make the chatterers interesting but also trying to leave stuff out because I don't want to give away massive spoilers...

That's certainly a good thing to keep in mind! I can imagine if you just start up a webcomic, with no backlog, that it'd become quickly overwhelming and stressful. It can also cost you followers right? So that's bad. I figured the weekend would be the best time for me to upload my webcomic as it's when most people are online and free. ^^

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 05-16-2017, 11:15 AM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyreen View Post

That's certainly a good thing to keep in mind! I can imagine if you just start up a webcomic, with no backlog, that it'd become quickly overwhelming and stressful. It can also cost you followers right? So that's bad. I figured the weekend would be the best time for me to upload my webcomic as it's when most people are online and free. ^^
This is pretty much the reasoning yes. I suspect long time readers are far more receptive to a hiatus if you've kept a regular update schedule up until then. And for a new webcomic, you're probably attracting a few new readers who will be looking for a reliable update schedule. From what I understand, it's not the frequency of updates that's important, but the reliability of those updates. Reading a webcomic can be a thing done easily on one's own schedule when they know when to expect a page, but can be unpleasant when you don't know when it will be and end up checking every day with more and more disappointment each day.

Serra's Art Gallery

Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 05-16-2017, 11:31 AM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #9  

Yeah, I can see how that would cause issues for the creator! I actually don't log onto Tapas as often as I use to because a lot of the webcomics I use to read haven't been updating as often. I totally understand that people get busy and life gets in the way but an announcement would be wise... I think so anyways haha. I find the worst is when one hasn't been updating but the creator hasn't made any announcement about a hiatus.

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 05-16-2017, 11:46 AM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Yes definitely. I know I'll likely have to have a hiatus in the future, and my rule of thumb is to announce it, explain why it's being taken, and give a FIRM return date, that you follow up on if for some reason it can't be met. I'm hoping to maintain my backlog to keep the hiatus gremlins away, but I won't know for sure until closer to said time.

Of course there's more to writing that webcomics, so I don't want to take over the whole topic with that just because it's my way to write currently XD

Serra's Art Gallery

Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 05-16-2017, 11:56 AM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #11  

Good luck! I hope it goes well for you. ^^
Let me know when you start uploading your content, I would love to check it out!

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 05-16-2017, 11:58 AM Reply With Quote  
C'mere
Quote:

Oh, cool! Would you ever be willing to share any of your writing or do you keep it to yourself? If you want we can chat about our characters and all. ^^

Some of the characters in my fantasy were created specifically for a RP with a former long-term RP partner of mine. We haven't written anything together for a while now, but a few years ago she gave me permission to continue using a few characters for my story so I did. I miss RPing but it's really difficult to find someone that I connect with tbh.

I go on Tapas to read web comics, you can create an account to upload your own content. They also have a "tipping" system, subscribers can help fund your content! Also if you use Patron you can get monthly subscribers and charge them a fee ( not sure if it's a set fee or if you set it, never looked into it much ). Usually people will subscribe to you for monthly updates, sneak peeks, contests, etc. I heard that it's a good way to get funding.

DON'T GET ME STARTED ABOUT MY BABIES. we'll be here forever.
i don't have much to share except older, mostly outdated stuff and WIPs that will probably never be finished. Maybe a couple of gross things I don't think i can actually post here lol but i'm not opposed if there's any particular kind of thing you wanna see.

The project my friend and I have has been growing and evolving basically since the day we met; it's the only RP-type thing i've done that has actually stuck around to become something worth keeping. It's kinda to the point that on the rare occasion when I do RP with someone else, i still want to use my existing characters and just make a non-canon story to see how they interact with other people's characters and ideas. i guess if it were easier to find a partner i really connected with for something long-term like that, i'd feel more inclined to make up somebody new, but so far it just hasn't happened. so i feel you on that.

and that webcomic stuff sounds pretty fly; if we ever actually reach that point (we're currently doing our "final reboot" and figuring out/fine-tuning the details of the characters' new designs, the updated version of the plot, filling holes in the story, all that good stuff), it'll be a good thing to look into.
at the very least, i'd like to get some kind of visual storyboard thing made. idk how much interest people would have in that as opposed to a polished comic lol but for our own purposes it would be useful. much as i love to write, this is a project that would do better to rely a lot more on visuals than words.
Old Posted 05-16-2017, 11:59 AM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Default   #13  
Quote:

Good luck! I hope it goes well for you. ^^
Let me know when you start uploading your content, I would love to check it out!
Officially starting June 1st!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledaddy View Post
and that webcomic stuff sounds pretty fly; if we ever actually reach that point (we're currently doing our "final reboot" and figuring out/fine-tuning the details of the characters' new designs, the updated version of the plot, filling holes in the story, all that good stuff), it'll be a good thing to look into.
at the very least, i'd like to get some kind of visual storyboard thing made. idk how much interest people would have in that as opposed to a polished comic lol but for our own purposes it would be useful. much as i love to write, this is a project that would do better to rely a lot more on visuals than words.
I'm an artist so I'm probably biased here, but it feels like a very wonderful way to tell a story ^_^

Serra's Art Gallery

Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 05-16-2017, 12:17 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot

@ uncledaddy: Yeah, most of my RPs would slowly get quiet then replies would stop. Sometimes there was an attempt to start another but that usually fell flat as well after some time. I sometimes have issues with motivation and I also can't focus sometimes. And if I try to write something when I'm not 100% into it then it's absolute trash. >>

I'm basically doing the same thing rn. I have to fill in plot holes, details, smooth everything out and make sure it flows well and makes sense! I'm also creating lore right so... have to do so much. Religions, events, items, locations, themes, styles, languages, races, cultures, traditions, etc etc yikes. It's fun but soooo tedious and also overwhelming at times!

Since I'm planning to make this into a video game later I'm also writing a lot of other stuff. Players can choose to play as nb, male or female, there's three sets of eyes, mouths, noses, face shapes, skin tones and hairstyles to choose from. You can rename your character or change your name. Every character is romanceable, no one is locked out due to the sex of your character. You can also build friendships. I'm going to have to write a script haha. It's a lot of work but I'm super excited.

Honestly if you want to PM me about your characters I'd love to hear about them. You can gush as much as you want and send me art. I'm not offended by NSFW stuff so you can send anything like that too! It would be awesome to have someone else to chat with about stories, characters, etc. I have some reeeeally old art that I got a while back that I could show you!

@ Sera: Personally I think most of my stories would do better as visual novels/graphic novels/web comics yknow or as video games. I mean.. I can write the stories but... yeah!

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 05-16-2017, 12:27 PM Reply With Quote  
C'mere
Default   #15  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serra Britt View Post
I'm an artist so I'm probably biased here, but it feels like a very wonderful way to tell a story ^_^
i am also biased because of my love of cartoons. but well when you put as much work into the physical details as we have, it's just not fair to not have pictures... and if we have a chance to make them moving pictures one day, all the better. and that's definitely not just a lame excuse for being totally incompetent at making comic-style comics.
Old Posted 05-16-2017, 12:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
I used to write a lot and I have way more characters than I'll probably ever need, but I kind of realized that my writing pretty much sucks so I slowly quit.
Once in a while I'll re-read something and edit it or try to add more.
I also used to do poetry, mainly focusing on haiku and tanka. But same thing. I suck ao I quit.
Now one of my friends wants me to work on a series of kids books based on my cats and then wants to find someone else to do art for them. But I just don't feel inspired to write anymore.
Old Posted 05-16-2017, 02:55 PM Reply With Quote