Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Zombie Platypus
Default Any Aquarium Hobbyists?   #1  
Hey guys, I'm getting back into the aquarium hobby and I've had horrible luck with it so far. The 10 gallon setup I got from someone on Craigslist had a crack in it. It holds water but I don't want to risk it. So I went to Petco and got a new 10 gallon tank by itself. It started leaking last night. All of this has happened in the past two weeks. The fish we went with are Mollies. Two Creamsicle Mollies and two Silver Mollies. They're very pleasant fish actually, and this is my first time having them. So far so good! Here's a video from last night. This is their current housing until I can get another new tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF_E42IR10Q

If you have any recommendations on products, or if you would just like to share pictures of your aquariums and fish, I'd really like to see your setups.
Old Posted 04-09-2017, 07:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
I don't have any fish tanks currently, but I've always been partial to salt water tanks. More work, certainly, but reef fish are so pretty.

A little tank with two clownfish and an anemone is a simple, lovely thing.

That's unfortunate about all the leaking, though. :(
Old Posted 04-10-2017, 11:52 AM Reply With Quote  
-
Default   #3  
My brother used to raise fish. A few of them jumped out of the tank and died. And some got eaten by the other fish.
.___.
Buying: NATM
Questing: Event Items 13/19
Miniature Fairy Wings, Immortal Worlds, Eye Sore Current Funds:0 Au.
Updated: 12/16/16 08:55 PM
Old Posted 04-11-2017, 09:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Saltwater tanks are definitely so captivating, and it depends on the lighting of the tank as well. Clownfish are great starter saltwater fish. I don't think I could deal with all of the work that goes into keeping a saltwater aquarium, but everyone has different comfort levels with the time and effort it takes to keep fish.

I got a live plant and this is my first time experiencing that part of aquariums. It seems that most hobbyists veer towards a specialized aspect, or they like to have a huge variety. My dream is to either have a 300 gallon koi aquarium with live plants, or two 125gallon aquariums. One with a beautiful aquascape and a bunch of peaceful community schooling fish, and one to use as a Cichlid aquarium.

Aquariums can be somewhat difficult to propagate, but in the end if you keep up with regular water changes and keep a close eye on your aquatic companions, the tanks will be pretty healthy and sustainable. There are amazing filters you can get, which reduces the overall need for maintenance, but some of them are so expensive.
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 04-12-2017, 01:00 AM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
Default   #5  
I don't do fish, I do reptiles.

A good deal on tanks is when PetCo does their Dollar Per Gallon quarter annual sale. :3 Get a 10g tank for $10 (lid not included, I believe).

If it's leaking water then definitely return it ~
Old Posted 04-12-2017, 01:32 AM Reply With Quote  
It's ALIVE
I grew up with 2 80-gal saltwater tanks filled with all sorts of fish and anemone types.
Currently I have a 10 gal with some catfish and a 200 gal with 2 res turtles and their pet goldfish they didn't eat XD
Our 200-gal started leaking in the middle of the night, we had to put the turtles in the bathtub and all the fish in various buckets(before the turtles ate them all) and we sealed it back up with silicone. Let it cure for a few days, set the tank back up for a week then introduced everyone back in.

{MyAnimeList}{My MAL Graph!}{Read manga? Come here!}

Currently Questing For: Lil Spoops,Puppet Master, Toamna lantern, Cyber Reaper,Braen's Jacket
Have Au and some Runes
Buy runes from me! PM for details!

Old Posted 04-12-2017, 02:07 AM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Default   #7  
Pessimisticat - What kind of reptiles do you have?

The 10 gallon that started leaking was from Petco's dollar per gallon sale. I spraypainted the back and bottom of the tank black, so I can't return it. I ended up purchasing a new one, because the sealant costed $12 so I figured I might as well just go for a new tank during their dollar per gallon sale.

SparX - Lucky you! My family couldn't really afford a saltwater tank, and none of them have really had the time or energy to focus on fish tanks in their adult lives. Do you have any pictures? I would love to see your setups ^^
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 04-12-2017, 04:18 AM Reply With Quote  
It's ALIVE
I don't right now but I will try to make an active attempt to take some this weekend XD
I will need to clean the tank first because there is to be a massacre tonight XD

Currently Questing For: Lil Spoops,Puppet Master, Toamna lantern, Cyber Reaper,Braen's Jacket
Have Au and some Runes

Old Posted 04-12-2017, 08:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Default   #9  
Haha! Do they eat bloodworms? Because they're a very messy food and they cloud the water easily.

Here is an update on the aquarium! It has been officially back up and running since last night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F4gfeWleug
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 04-12-2017, 11:37 PM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
Ginger Did the second one you get not leak?
At least you got it when it was cheap and not like..$40 like they normally are, I believe.

I have two Leopard Geckos and one Crested Gecko.
The Leopard Geckos go in the 20g long fish tanks, while my Crestie is in a terrarium-like-thing.
Old Posted 04-13-2017, 12:14 AM Reply With Quote  
It's ALIVE
Default   #11  
I have not fed them bloodworms yet (mealworms yes, and dried shrimp)
Their live massacre is 19cent goldfish XD

Have Au and some Runes

Old Posted 04-13-2017, 01:19 AM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
Pessimisticat - Well I originally got a used 10 gallon tank with everything on Craigslist, but that tank was cracked. So I bought a new bare 10 gallon tank at Petco during their dollar per gallon sale, which ended up leaking 3 days later. I didn't have the receipt to return it, and their sealant costed more than a new 10 gallon tank. So I bought another new bare 10 gallon tank, which is the one that's set up right now.

Sparx - Poor fishies, about to become digested into turtle poo.
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 04-13-2017, 02:40 AM Reply With Quote  
It's ALIVE
Default   #13  
Most of them. One or two usually survive and become gigantic assholes XD

On a side note I would really like to get into aquascaping too

Have Au and some Runes

Old Posted 04-13-2017, 10:13 AM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
I have spent hours on YouTube looking at Aquascapes. Can you believe there are aquascaping shows? There are also Betta fish shows/contests.

There is an entire realm of aquatic enthusiasts, and inside of that aquatic realm there are "Sub" realms. Aquascapers, breeders, monster fish keepers, cichlid keepers (they deserve their own realm), DIY and "How To" fish keepers, Community/Scooling Tank fish keepers, Pond enthusiasts, Koi pond enthusiasts, and so on. It has all been very fascinating to me.
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 04-13-2017, 01:31 PM Reply With Quote  
It's ALIVE
Default   #15  
SAME
I would love a koi pond, but tbh I hate carp D:
I want to fancy awuascape and put my turtles in but it would take MONTHS of redoing their 200g and I would HATE that so much at the same time XD
I have a spare 30g I am thinking about bringing in this year or next to try my hand at making pretty things with water moss XD

Can you believe the previous owners of the turtles gave them cichlids for the turtle pets? D: They also kept trying to introduce other nice fish (bala sharks, some fancy tailed white fish etc etc) And were getting upset when the turtles would eat the fish XD

I used to be a heavy betta enthusiasts also but my cats kept eating them all .-. freaking assholes. or dumping their tanks out and leaving the fish to dry on the floor while we were at work. . .

Have Au and some Runes

Old Posted 04-14-2017, 10:36 AM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
30 gallon tank that holds water, and it's sitting empty?! THE HORROR! xD

Today I spent an hour watching live ocean cams. It's so relaxing watching all of the fish swim around in their natural environments.

Omg. Are they stupid? Of course the turtles would eat them. Cichlids must have been an expensive fish food.
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 04-15-2017, 03:31 AM Reply With Quote