Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Lazy
Default Easter   #1  
Whats your plans for Easter?

Earlier today my kids and I colored eggs and I will get up early and hide them for them to find. They are going to bed soon, in like a half hour. Once they are sleeping, Janna and I are gonna put together their easter baskets. Maria doesnt get one anymore, since she's fifteen but she still gets chocolates and a gift. So, we have to make baskets for Tony, Wyatt, Diana, Cian, Koji, Hinata and Gareth. : ) I like putting together their easter baskets.
Then later in the day, my mammy and her fiance are going to come over for dinner.

Also, in Ireland, Easter holds a special meaning. On Easter Monday in 1916 the rebels took over the GPO (general post office) and several other buildings in the city center of Dublin and held an insurrection. In the end they surrendered and the leaders were executed but had this insurrection had not happened, who knows if we would be free today. So, this is a hugely important day in history for my country and in Ireland, they celebrate it on Easter rather than the day it actually happened (April 24th). So, we will be celebrating that in my house as well and having a moment of silence for the fallen men and women and leaders who died so we could be free.

So, what about your plans?
Shamus / 39 yo Irish Male / In an open marriage / 11 Blood suckers Children / 1 Grandson

My late wife's birthday was Valentine's Day. Please pardon me if I seem stressed, moody or out of it. I'm an emotional train wreck right now.

Old Posted 04-15-2017, 07:19 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Wow, that's amazing--I never thought of Easter as anything other than an interesting holiday where some families decorated eggs/hid eggs/bit off the heads of chocolate rabbits/ate chocolate eggs/ate chicken marshmallows.

I don't have any plans because my family doesn't celebrate Easter.

Old Posted 04-15-2017, 07:26 PM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
Default   #3  
Easter Sunday was the original date but plans fell through and they had to wait until Easter Monday (because its a two day thing there). I guess Easter was chosen for the insurrection for religious purposes. Padraig (Irish Gaelic for Patrick) Pearse was the leader. He was sort of a romantacist and dreamer. He knew a rising would not stand a chance of victory against the Bristish but he thought that it would be enough to sacrifice blood for your people and since Easter is about when Jesus was resurrected after being sacrificed for man kind, he figured it would be a perfect symbolic day. Or, so what people say.

Ah I see. Well, I hope you have a nice relaxing sunday then.
Shamus / 39 yo Irish Male / In an open marriage / 11 Blood suckers Children / 1 Grandson

My late wife's birthday was Valentine's Day. Please pardon me if I seem stressed, moody or out of it. I'm an emotional train wreck right now.

Old Posted 04-15-2017, 07:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
I'm going to dye eggs for my grandpa. He wanted to do them with Winter but he got a cold. Then I'm going to take her over to my other folks house so they an all see her for the day and then be home ouuo

Old Posted 04-15-2017, 07:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Default   #5  
Stare out the window and wonder which bird will be turned into a rabbit >w>

>w> ish why the cadbury bunny clucks like a bird (and prolly why the easter bunny always has eggs)

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 04-15-2017, 08:05 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Nothing fancy here. I'm working on schoolwork while others are cooking, We're having the usual ham for dinner (not sure why it's always ham). Tomorrow I'm going to a cousin's for buffet and egg-hunting with the cousins from that wing of the family.

None of us are especially religious, expect for my my aunt and one cousin who got to mass. I mostly just like to decorate eggs and eat chocolate the day after when it's on for cheap.
Old Posted 04-15-2017, 08:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Default   #7  
Not likely to celebrate much, but there's always the Easter vs. Aostre thing in mind. (where a Roman-imported hares - a pest that appeared to come and go out of the grass like magic, and as the hares were in the same environment as some species of bird eggs...)

That sort of was retconned in more recent times as a marketing thing for Easter.
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Old Posted 04-15-2017, 09:36 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I've heard a couple potential origins for the Easter bunny and such, like rabbits being a symbol of fertility for a god that the Romans would have known about (can't remember which) and may have adopted into their own culture, or an interpretation of a statue of Artemis/Diane as being covered in eggs.

EDIT: Goddess was Ishtar, apparently pronounced "Easter" and was something of the usual Christian usurping of details.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 04-17-2017 at 02:18 AM.
Old Posted 04-15-2017, 10:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
Default   #9  
Glitch: Aww, well I hope he feels better soon and has a good easter. The fun thing about having a baby or a very little kid is that everyone is dying to see them, so you get to parade them around like some prized award winning show dog at a dog show lol.

Demonskid: Sounds like a very...quiet day.

Quiet Man Cometh: Nice! Enjoy the egg hunt. And the fertility symbol and goddess was the origin I always knew as well.

Lawtan: Wow, thats interesting. Like Quiet Man Cometh, I always heard the story of them being fertility symbols.

Old Posted 04-15-2017, 11:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Io, Jupiter
I don't celebrate any holidays, and since I'm not a Christian I especially don't celebrate Easter, Christmas, or any other.
Old Posted 04-16-2017, 12:01 AM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
Default   #11  
I am not Christian either and neither is Janna. Neither of us believe in any sort of deity. I celebrate because I always have and my family (Mammy, Da, brother and his family) do.

Old Posted 04-16-2017, 12:34 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
I don't really celebrate holidays in general, except Christmas and that's mainly because I live too close to my dad so he insists on getting everyone together, so I will probably just re-watch movies/tv shows that I own and work on making stuffed animals and washing my laundry mountain.
Old Posted 04-16-2017, 02:12 AM Reply With Quote  
-
Default   #13  
We used to have easter dinner when grandma was alive. I sure am not making easter dinner this year though. We did buy some ham and pineapple that was on sale though.
.___.
Buying: NATM
Questing: Event Items 13/19
Miniature Fairy Wings, Immortal Worlds, Eye Sore Current Funds:0 Au.
Updated: 12/16/16 08:55 PM
Old Posted 04-16-2017, 07:48 AM Reply With Quote