Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

A*DIC*TED
Default   #129  
Figured I'd come in and post the latest trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1SJ7yaa7cI

It pulls of the feel of the LotR movies perfectly, even just from a trailer. I have high hopes for this movie o-o
Old Posted 11-20-2012, 09:18 AM Reply With Quote  
THIS. IS. SPAR -shot- ... *gurgle*
Overlong and too action-heavy? Yup, that's the feel of the LotR movies all right ^_^*
Old Posted 11-21-2012, 01:08 AM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #131  
I was talking more landscapes, music and such. I do think they're managed to over-dramatise the hobbit..
Old Posted 11-22-2012, 11:15 AM Reply With Quote  
I decided I'm just going to re-read the book because I can probably read it in less time than it'd take to watch three Peter Jackson films XD
Old Posted 11-23-2012, 02:49 AM Reply With Quote  
Confused
Default   #133  
yeah, I saw a trailer at a theater recently and I just...I wish Peter Jackson would go away heh. I don't intend on spending any money or time even giving it a chance.
Old Posted 11-23-2012, 09:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
So, I finally saw this. And... oh dear. I'm going resurrect this thread to post my review of the film, it's probably going to be long. (Edit: It's really, really long.)

Suffice it to say, there will be many, many spoilers.

Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 01-04-2013, 05:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #135  
I, personally, liked this movie. I've learned to treat the movie as a completely different thing from the book, treat it as if the book never existed. Otherwise, there would probably be a lot of disappointment.

And apparently people have never heard of using a current word to describe something that has never been done before and so does not have a word for it.

And Radagast
Quote:
Tolkien wrote that he gave up his mission as one of the Wizards by becoming too obsessed with animals and plants. He also wrote that he did not believe that Radagast's failure was as great as Saruman's and that he may eventually have been allowed (or chosen) to return to the Undying Lands. However, Christopher Tolkien notes in Unfinished Tales that the assumption Radagast failed in his task may not be entirely accurate considering that he was specifically chosen by Yavanna, and he may have been assigned to protect the flora and fauna of Middle-earth, a task that would not end with the defeat of Sauron and the end of the War of the Ring.
Also considering what he is, what he stands for, I think I wouldn't be so sane when EVERY SINGLE RACE is destroying what I hold dear constantly. I liked Radagast. He's not sane really, but it isn't like he's going to hurt you when he sees you. And considering how Saruman doesn't like him (yet he traveled with Saruman) that couldn't be very helpful.
Old Posted 01-05-2013, 12:05 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I haven't read the story part, but I think I'll be needing to see the movie or read the book before commenting on that anyway. Looking some stuff up though. Apparently The Hobbit was filmed with a new kind of digital camera (most film is done regular cameras because apparently digital cameras aren't entirely up to the job yet for major detailed projects, or so I hear). That might have affected how the film looked. I remember the first time I saw HD it seemed almost unnatural to me. 3D films watched in 2D can also have some funny visual quirks here and there that I've noticed in other films. I'll keep an eye out for that.

I don't think people can roast Jackson too much. I think it was sort of expected of him that he do The Hobbit given LOTR. Even back when he was working on King Kong it was assumed he'd do it. There was a fake trailer going around on youtube at the time. Apparently Guillermo del Toro was the originally planned director and he also had a hand in writing the screenplay with the usual bunch.

What I'm *not* looking forward to: it's three films apparently. Again. Sigh.

I'm not sure what you mean with that "current word" comment Yoku. Something annoy you?
Old Posted 01-06-2013, 01:28 AM Reply With Quote  
The Mad Scientist
Default   #137  
I will say this about the movie, if you see it in the rapid motion, in 3D, it looks and sounds better.

As for the storyline itself. It left me confused half the time, why? Because I haven't read the Hobbit in about two years, so when my friend who came with me asked me questions, and I answered correctly, the movie COMPLETELY CONTRADICTED ME.

Did I enjoy the movie for entertainment value? Yes.
Did I enjoy it as a Tolkien fanatic? No. Hell to the No.

Old Posted 01-06-2013, 08:26 AM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
@Quiet
It's about what Suzerain said
Quote:
He has, apparently, discovered that the Necromancer of Dol Guldur (read: Sauron) has "resurrected the Witch-King". We later learn from Galadriel that the Witch-King was apparently buried in a spell-sealed tomb after his defeat at the hands of men long ago. This... is completely made-up and a flagrant contradiction of the nature of the Ringwratihs as "neither living nor dead".
What other word is there to use for that? I mean other than saying...woken up? I guess? And who says they didn't think of him as dead especially since the Ringwraiths weren't ringwraiths at this point, maybe the word didn't exist for them yet and maybe they didn't know they weren't living or dead yet. People need to remember that this happened before LOTR and so, the characters wouldn't know as much as they do in LOTR
Old Posted 01-07-2013, 12:17 AM Reply With Quote  
Default   #139  
Holy shit that sounds even worse than I had ever imagined o.O

I think my plan of just rereading the book three times is definitely a good one.
Old Posted 01-07-2013, 04:30 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Yoku, they certainly were Ringwraiths at that point, the Witch-King's wars against Arnor took place early in the Third Age, while the Nazgul first appeared in the late Second Age. My issue with the "resurrection" was with the entire idea that he would need to be woken up, as you put it, in the first place. The word works fine in the invented scenario they seem to be putting forth, but it's ridiculous in terms of both Tolkien-canon, and what's established about the wraiths in the other movies.

It *would* be nice, though, if it was a red herring and they really didn't understand the situation, but Galadriel sounded pretty confident when she was describing his tomb.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 01-07-2013, 11:54 AM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #141  
But the tomb she would know about period. Or at least I think she would since she could talk to Gandalf like she was, but at the same time the "Necromancer" brought the Witch King back. And when one thinks Necromancer-they think resurrecting the dead. Do they know the Necromancer is Sauron? (Look, it's been forever since I read the books, and I only read LOTR and the Hobbit) Because if they didn't know, that could make a difference. And the Ringwraiths may have been seen before, but did they know then that they were neither dead or alive? Maybe they they though the ringwraiths were resurrected back then if they didn't understand what the rings could do? I'm just throwing things out there since I haven't read all the other books .-.
Old Posted 01-07-2013, 04:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
I'm fairly certain the White Council was aware of the nature of the Ring-Wraiths. In the books, Glorfindel was also on the Council, and he personally fought against the Witch-King when they drove him out of Angmar (He's actually the one that spoke the "Not by the hand of man shall he fall" prophecy), even if the others were ignorant (which I find unlikely), he would have known, I believe. But Saruman had made it his great purpose to study everything he could relating to Ring-lore, so I'm pretty sure he, too, would know how the Nine were created.

About the Necromancer, they suspected it was Sauron, or feared it was, but they didn't know for sure until they drove him out.

We'll have to wait for at least the next movie to see how this sub-plot plays out, but it looks to me at this point that they're inventing most of it (to be fair, they don't have legal access to the other books, so they kind of have to). It's just a shame, to me, because there's a really rich backstory about the wars with Angmar (which IS in the appendix of Lord of the Rings, which they're allowed to use), but instead they seem to be making up their own version of past events. I don't expect them to put the book word-for-word on the screen, and if they could invent stuff that was BETTER than the book, I'd be all for it, but... almost every time they've done something like this, to me, it's always been a change for the worse and left me wondering why they didn't just use Tolkien's original idea.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 01-07-2013, 04:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #143  
You mean other than the fact that Tolkien rejected every offer of a film adaption that came his way? He did, though he wasn't against a film adaption. And part of all that is if they followed the book exactly, it could extend the movies into the oh god why are they talking about this (which some people complained about anyway) instead of doing something area. And, personally, if they follows the book too closely, even fans would get bored because they could've just read the book for cheaper AKA free.

And hadn't Saruman kind of already started down that slippery slope of being on Sauron's side? -isn't sure- If so, why would he tell them anything he knows really?
Old Posted 01-07-2013, 05:29 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Well, yeah, Tolkien didn't really think it was filmable in the first place, hence why he let the rights go for relatively cheap. Whether he would have changed his mind had he been able to see modern cinemagraphic technology, who knows?

But I agree, adapting is a delicate art in translation. Unfortunately, I really feel like this movie in particular (more so than the LotR movies) is Peter Jackson and company telling their reimagining of The Hobbit rather than adapting the book at all, really. I can understand that they have creative ideas and want to try stuff out... I just think it'd be better served if they made their own fantasy movie. I somehow doubt that would bring the same box-office, though...

And for your last point, that depends. In the movies, he's obviously well on his way to being corrupted even here, and Gandalf is clearly suspicious of him. In the books, though, Gandalf and Saruman have nothing but "professional disagreements" until he abducts Gandalf in the Fellowship of the Ring. Saruman did, at this point, have designs on the Ring, though. He was manipulating the council for a long time... BUT he did eventually come around and decide that Sauron/the Necromancer needed to be driven out of Dol Guldur, and lent them his full aid in doing so.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 01-07-2013, 05:57 PM Reply With Quote