Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Writer
Default   #2433  
...but like, now you can practice to sew. Straight lines aren't that hard, you just need to try a few more times. Tension can also depend on your fabric, so what works with one may be off with the other. How exactly is it off? Is the bottom thread showing on the top? Top thread showing on the bottom? Weird loops all around?
Old Posted 04-10-2018, 04:23 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
It's been a while since I've used my machine tbh.
I know that mostly I'm just spewing excuses because I'm a little scared of wasting fabric on stupid practice stuff. I need to test the tension the way we learned in middle school home ec to be sure, but I think it was possibly weird loops all around last time.
I know that solutions can be googled and that there are more experienced people here that I can ask. I don't know why I don't do it.

Okay, so just double checked and I wouldn't necessarily say "weird loops" but the top and bottom threads are showing on both sides. Like a little dot kind of? Mostly it's the top thread showing on the bottom that's the worst though.

Note: Just adjusted bobbin tension slightly and also tried out different tension settings on the top also. Nothing is helping the problem.
I have taken pictures of the problem (in case they're needed), but should try to find my sewing machine manual. I think it some tips for this kind of thing.
Last edited by Kaderin Triste; 04-10-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old Posted 04-10-2018, 05:34 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #2435  
I'm better at hand sewing than machine sewing. Plus I don't have a working machine, so I do all my sewing by hand. x_x But I'm crazy used to it. XD

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 04-10-2018, 09:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Is hand sewing difficult? I think about doing it, but it's even more intimidating than sewing with a machine...plus, I feel like sewing straight lines would be even harder...
Old Posted 04-10-2018, 10:17 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #2437  
It's not really difficult. A thimble will be your friend. and it just takes practice to get straight lines.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 04-10-2018, 10:51 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Might have to look into it. Then I wouldn't have to play tension war with my sewing machine.
It's seriously frustrating me!
Old Posted 04-10-2018, 11:28 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #2439  
I feel I can take more control over my stitching when doing it by hand. Though sewing by machine is much quicker. ^^;

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 04-11-2018, 12:01 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
As with most things, there are pros and cons.
Old Posted 04-11-2018, 12:07 AM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Default   #2441  
From your description it sounds as if both threads are roughly (yet not perfectly) balanced, but both are too loose, and your bobbin thread is a bit tighter than your needle thread. But yeah, manuals usually come with pictures and that's the most helpful for figuring out your particular problem.

Sometimes however tension issues don't even arise from tension itself, so if absolutely nothing helps, you might want to check if your machine is threaded correctly, switch to a different needle, or - if you have one - a different bobbin case.

And yes of course handsewing is also always an option.
Old Posted 04-11-2018, 04:59 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
I'll have to re-check the way my machine is threaded. I may have screwed that up. The instructions for it weren't super clear and I may have missed a step in it.
Sewing intimidates me, but I want to be able to make cool things. Like a long faux-leather coat that actually fits properly (because I have broad shoulders so my options are to either get one super baggy so my arms fit properly, or...nope that's it) and animal bags and cute insulated lunch totes and dresses and costumes and stuff!
Old Posted 04-11-2018, 07:29 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #2443  
I have to pretty much custom-make coats or steal my dad's unworn one, because my torso is short, but my hips are wide.

Quote:
Old Posted 04-11-2018, 08:10 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
I had to buy a men's coat just to get a peacoat that fit my shoulders and the rest of me drowns in it. Even the xxl ones in women's had too narrow shoulders and too short arms.
Old Posted 04-11-2018, 09:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #2445  
I have that sort of problem, too. But also with pants, because my torso is short, but wide hips... I also have really long legs, so it's a challenge to find pants and skirts that look good on me.

Quote:
Old Posted 04-11-2018, 09:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
So really, you have trouble with probably 90% of all clothes? XD

I don't have a big problem with skirts mainly because I go with long flowy maxi and midi skirts. And a-lines. Anything clingy like pencil skirts are problematic though. Pants can be tough though. Long legs are the worst. I completely understand the struggle. And also, I get the "no booty" struggle of ALWAYS having back-gap due to having a fat yet flat butt. Like, it's big side to side, but doesn't have any real lift. Even the best fitting pants aren't great.
Old Posted 04-11-2018, 11:25 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #2447  
Maxi skirts are about the only ones that look alright on me. supposedly "knee length" ones tend to be too short, so it's rare for me to find one that actually hits me at the knees.

I have a big chest, and big sized boobs, and kinda broad shoulders, so I usually just wear men's t-shirts, but finding nice blouses is tough.

Quote:
Old Posted 04-11-2018, 11:33 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
I have the opposite boob issue. Mine are super small, so it's hard to find shirts that fit my shoulders without being too baggy in the chest (bending over without holding onto the shirt to prevent anyone being able to see all the way down to my stomach is dangerous) seriously, even just basic v-neck tees can be pretty revealing if I don't hold on when I bend/lean over, and pretty much any wrap style anything is a huge no. I've never tried formal dress shirts or blouses just because I haven't ever found any that I like yet. I mean, white is always super translucent, I hate flowery designs, and stripes and all that, and definitely no to pink anything, which pretty much leaves nothing.
I don't think I've ever had quite the issue you do with "knee length" skirts. At least based on your comment of "too short", which makes me think maybe like they hit mid-thigh instead?
Most anything is listed as knee-length for me generally comes close to the knees at least. Not usually quite long enougb, but not so short that they cause any real issues.

I dunno, maybe I'm just too picky or not adventurous enough; too boring with my clothes. I've tried some "body-con" style dresses and they weren't terrible, though I need to wear leggings or tights with them just to help control my butt, thighs, and stomach some. Most of the time I'm just boring t-shirts and maxi skirts jeans depending on what job(s) I have any given day.
Old Posted 04-12-2018, 02:10 AM Reply With Quote