Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Psych
Default Internet Social Anxiety (I Has It)   #1  
-takes a deep breath-

So, I've been around Trisphee for quite some time. Longer than the second 'e'.

Why, then, do I have so much trouble joining conversations, or creating them? Many of the people on Trisphee are people I know from other sites and have come to be friendly with at one point or another.

I'm not attempting to be emo in any way. I think all my awkwardness stems from myself, and by sharing it with you, I am hoping to release myself from the pressure of having to act "normal" in my attempts to make connections.

I seem to be having a lot of difficulty breaking the ice around here. Ever since we moved into open beta, I seem to be having a hard time getting chummy with everyone. I feel like I missed out on an important period (the late closed beta) and now I don't have the friendships that everyone else seems to.

In short, sometimes I feel like the group of Trisphites I am most familiar with are very tight-knit and I don't quite fit in with them as well as I did on other sites and in years passed.

So, my questions for all of you are:
-How much difficulty did you have getting involved in the community?
-Do you feel like such a small site is hard to become a part of because of the everybody-knows-everybody atmosphere?
-For other closed-beta participants, do you feel like the Trisphee experience is different for you than it is for members that joined after open beta started?
Old Posted 04-11-2011, 11:59 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!

I tend to have quite a bit of trouble myself. I know many members from other sites, but have also met a ton of new ones here. Yet even though I know a lot of the people I seem to have a hard time finding places I'm comfortable talking. I barely ever start threads because I find that they always die and honestly that hurts me a little. I'm really trying to open up more, and I'm truly wishing to be more active. I'm just having trouble with it presently.

-Do you feel like such a small site is hard to become a part of because of the everybody-knows-everybody atmosphere?

In threads when I first go in them I feel its hard to get into the conversation. For either my posts are missed or I've got nothing to say about the topic they are talking about so I don't post not wanting to take away from existing conversations....
"It's in the stars.
It's been written in the scars on our hearts.

Your head is running wild again, my dear.
We still have everythin'.
We're not broken, just bent.
I'll fix it for us.
Our love's enough. "
Old Posted 04-12-2011, 12:12 AM Reply With Quote  
Psych
Default   #3  
Yep, I pretty much feel exactly the same way. Its kind of like being that person at a party that hangs out near the stairs, not wanting to jump right in the middle, but still hoping to get noticed by people.

Oddly enough, I'm really comfortable in large groups of people in person. I just lose all my charm over the internet. =P
Old Posted 04-12-2011, 12:18 AM Reply With Quote  
gnometastic
Uhm, not sure how successful I've been thus far, but I keep plugging along. Until someone tells me to back off I'll figure I'm still working on it.

No, actually, I find it a bit easier. Yes, everyone knows everyone, but I'm part of that 'everyone' even if I'm not the first 'everyone'. (oh, wow, that sounded better in my head) Will I ever know all the members as well as the first 'group' knows each other? Nah, but I'll be meeting all the new people at the same time, so that's fair!

I look at most forum sites this way; I'm either here to enjoy myself and accept that everyone may not like me and I won't know everyone OR I'm here to win a popularity contest, in which case I might as well go home. That being said, I do find it hard to interject myself into long-running threads, even if I do have something to add. But, I often tell myself the worst thing someone can do is ignore me, and it won't kill me.
I've gone to look for myself, if I should return before I get back keep me here.

beautiful art by littl3chocobo
Old Posted 04-12-2011, 01:05 AM Reply With Quote  
Moderation Admin
Default   #5  
Less than I thought I would, actually. I've had trouble fitting in on other sites, but Trisphee welcomed me with open arms. *nods* I've met amazing people here, and though I'm not the most active, I'd like to think I'm more active than I've been on other sites in the past. That being said, I still am a very self-conscious person in real life, which sometimes manifests itself on the internet.
I joined after the second 'e' was added, and though it was still small, I had very little in the way of problems. I was forced to talk to everyone, and the forum was so small that in a week or two, everybody knew at least of me. Now I've been here for two years in August!
-For other closed-beta participants, do you feel like the Trisphee experience is different for you than it is for members that joined after open beta started?
I'd like to say no, but the feeling is different, mostly because the site is in a different phase of life. In beta, we had the small beta forum where everybody was forced to post, so we all had to get to know each other. Now, with all of the wonderful forum choices, I'm sure there are a few users I haven't welcomed to Trisphee (Welcome, if you're reading this!).
In the end, I understand. I'm a very shy person, although most Trisphites wouldn't think that I was. Online, especially in a forum as welcoming as Trisphee, I was able to push into the forums and make some wonderful friends. I hope to continue doing this same for years to come. *nods* If you ever want to chat, Zombie, you can always send me a comment, PM, or ask for my Skype. I don't mind chatting with users. :3

Galla: always, all the time, a galla has no tolerance for it, and galla has all the tolerance.

Trisphee Site Rules | Sei's Hideout
Old Posted 04-12-2011, 01:44 AM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
I'm actually quite the loner in real life...
I don't even really go... well.... anywhere
o.o;;
"It's in the stars.
It's been written in the scars on our hearts.

Your head is running wild again, my dear.
We still have everythin'.
We're not broken, just bent.
I'll fix it for us.
Our love's enough. "
Old Posted 04-12-2011, 02:22 AM Reply With Quote  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Default   #7  
Zombie, I remember you from closed beta, and I'd love to chat with you. :3

I was the 58th registered member of Trisphe with one e, so I was forced into the community pretty early. I've had lots of trouble fitting in to other sites, so at first I just lurked around. once I felt like I knew other people, though, I started posting and people came to know me. [/creeper]
once I did start posting, I felt like I fit in decently well.

I can see how everyone-knows-everyone can be intimidating to jump into, but it also then becomes easier to eventually be one of the people who knows everyone.

I think the atmosphere is definitely different. in closed beta, I knew everyone who posted. I read every single post in every single thread ever, because it was that small that I had the time to do it.
now, there are plenty of people I don't know and maybe have never even seen before, and sometimes that's intimidating even for me. there's times where I feel really overwhelmed and will mostly lurk around instead of posting and getting to know people like I should. ^.^;;

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 04-12-2011, 02:44 AM Reply With Quote  
Multiply Six by Nine
Last edited by Doogle; 09-14-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old Posted 04-12-2011, 08:53 AM Reply With Quote  
Gackt's bodyguard
Default   #9  

I didn't. But that doesn't always mean you're welcome anyway.

It depends on what site. How people treat you and stuff. If they are willing to let you in. On Trisphee, not really.

Nothing have really changed. To be honest. People are the same. New users don't seem to make a big difference either.

If you can read this it means you have passed the first grade, congratulations.
Old Posted 04-12-2011, 12:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Psych
I realize that a lot of my problem with opening up and making friends is internal. I don't at all blame Trisphee or the community in any way for why I can't get involved.

My main motivation in creating this thread, as I said before, was in the hopes that expressing my anxiety would make it easier to deal with.

I really like Trisphee and I've enjoyed watching it grow and change, and I want to continue to do that. So I'm amping up my attempts to get comfortable here.

@ Lucid - I remember the days when it was easy to read every thread and every post as well. More often than not I ended up lurking anyway, but it kind of gave the feeling that there weren't any cliques. Not that I'm saying that's better than the way things are now, but it definitely gave the feeling that everyone was welcome to comment on anything.
Old Posted 04-12-2011, 12:29 PM Reply With Quote  
Moderation Admin
Default   #11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashion Zombie View Post
I really like Trisphee and I've enjoyed watching it grow and change, and I want to continue to do that. So I'm amping up my attempts to get comfortable here.
I'm really glad to hear that. I know where you're coming from and I know how difficult it can be to get comfortable on a site. That being said, I'm almost always online and available to chat if you need to chat with someone. *nods*

Galla: always, all the time, a galla has no tolerance for it, and galla has all the tolerance.

Old Posted 04-12-2011, 12:41 PM Reply With Quote  
I killed the muffin man. OMNOMNOM
Even though I was here when it was still Trisphe, I still have a difficult time getting involved in the community.

In closed beta, I was very active and I knew everyone. The problem is though, a ton of the people I knew very well in closed beta are now on the staff team (Lucid, DK, Ashurato, Annie) and it's so intimidating! O_o I told DK about it once and she claimed that they weren't scary... but it IS difficult owning a charity with two staff members and not really knowing anyone besides those two. ;_;

I think I would like to get to know everyone a lot more. If anyone wants to go to my charity, 10,00 Cat Paws and chat with me, I am cool with that. :3

It's definitely different than closed beta. We are still close as a community, but in beta EVERYONE who posted more than a couple times knew each other and it was just... easy. And we started boob pudding and sharpie wars in the couple stickied threads ALL THE TIME! D':

Dem is Lucid's Waffle. <3
Last edited by Dem; 04-13-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old Posted 04-13-2011, 09:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Psych
Default   #13  
I agree there, Dem. It seems like the people I did make connections with have gone on to become staff and mods, and so being that I'm not either of those things, I feel like maybe I am on a different level. It seems kind of silly when typing it out, but it's just this general feeling like maybe I should've tried harder or done more so that I'd be more familiar or helpful now.
Old Posted 04-13-2011, 09:32 PM Reply With Quote  
I killed the muffin man. OMNOMNOM
And like... I used to be in the top few posters and I had plenty of aurum, but now I am so behind on everything that it seems pointless to me to try and post much. ;_;

Dem is Lucid's Waffle. <3
Old Posted 04-13-2011, 09:37 PM Reply With Quote  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Default   #15  
honestly, I don't even look at the top posters list anymore. I cared when I had a chance at being first, but now I'm... fourth. when did Nikko get ahead of me? holy cow. anyway, Lauv and Airi are also really high on the list, despite being relatively new, joining in late januaryish. it's just a matter of taking the risk and jumping in. Trisphee is really friendly. :3

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 04-13-2011, 09:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Moderation Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashion Zombie View Post
...it's just this general feeling like maybe I should've tried harder or done more so that I'd be more familiar or helpful now.
I know it's very easy to feel that way, but staff is only a part of Trisphee. Users are a very important part of the site and without all of you, Trisphee would not be half the site it is today. Please, please don't think that because you're a user, you're not important. Those who contribute and keep Trisphee a vibrant place are awesome. *nods*

Old Posted 04-14-2011, 02:53 AM Reply With Quote