Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Rebooting....
Default Teaching Art in the Classroom   #1  
In high school, I had this amazing art teacher. He challenged us, pushed us to do our best, all while encouraging us to use our own style. He'd require we at least practiced realism, but also helped us develop our own stylized drawings if we asked. He was very open minded, accepting art in all of its forms. He never once belittled me for drawing in anime or cartoons, nor did he look down on my friends neo-Cubist-esque pieces. It was a great three years!

Then I reached college. In which realism was the only art taken seriously, by teachers and students alike. That's all that was really taught, and the only place one's own style could really be used was in the graphic design classes. It made me sad...I really can't connect with the other art students or even show them what I do, because they don't see it as art.

I'm not saying learning realism isn't important. But, when you teach that anything other than realism is wrong, that's when I start to question things. That is why I didn't major in studio art, even though I love drawing and painting. Because, while I can work in realism, it offers me no joy. My heart isn't in it.

What are your views on the teaching of art? Should it be free-form teaching, or strictly-structured? Is there a right way for it to be taught, and if so, why? What are your experiences in this area?

Old Posted 04-22-2012, 03:29 AM Reply With Quote  
Thorns and Claws
I had a great art teacher in my middle and high school years till he moved to another state </3 The next teacher I found out said Anime is not a art style. She only saw real and abstract as true forms of art. even though I tried to explain anime was very much so a style of art and that art is a means of expressing ones self. We'll just say I did very poorly in her class.

My personal view is like i stated above, art is a way to express ones self. Not everyone is good at art but that does not mean that another should shoot down someone just because they do not understand the style or motive behind the work.

Really I think college level art needs to be expanded a little. It should cover more then just realism and sometimes when they teach realism they take it a bit too far. Sure it is important to know real life and how to draw it to properly draw figures... but at the same time it should merely be a stepping stone to discovering your true potential and style.

I once read somewhere you should know basic anatomy first before you try to distort it to form your own style. Personally I think this is a very true statement. Then if someone disapproves of your work you can easily show them you know how to draw their style... just you enjoy yours better :) Personally I wouldn't think too much on someone talking down about my work, if you enjoy what you do then by all means continue doing it.
Old Posted 04-28-2012, 06:14 PM Reply With Quote  
r e s p i r a
Default   #3  
I think you need to have a solid foundation in the technical skills, like knowing how to render, anatomy, etc. Have it rigid and structured in the beginning and let the students explore after they've at least have a grasp of the basics. Hey, being good at drawing realistic bodies really can make your anime art look better. It's helped me. b:

Old Posted 05-16-2012, 09:04 AM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
I have had both, as you did however I did have one art professor in college who wanted us to improve our own style
along with giving tips to make it more realistic, however, she accepted it all and was very nice about it
she was nice like my high school teacher

both of them were better, than my junior high teacher and the other college one
Old Posted 05-31-2012, 01:07 AM Reply With Quote