Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Delicate Soul
Default PlayStation Network   #1  
I'm sure by now those of you who have a PlayStation Network account heard of the recent hacking that happened. It's gotten people rather spooked lately because of the big email they sent out to cover their butts. I haven't been affected as of yet but I'm still kind of scared. xD; I'm almost positive that I didn't put my credit card information on my account because I haven't seen any suspicious charges yet. I do happen to know someone at my local GameStop named Paul who was a victim of the PSN hack-attack. He found a 300 dollar charge on his card from somewhere in Las Vegas. And just so you all realize this is serious is because I live in Ohio. I'm a little shocked that this all happened almost a week ago.

I wanted to ask your guys opinions on the whole situation. Are you as worried as me because we can't check if our card info is attached or not. Are you more worried than me or are you completely relaxed? How do you all feel about this? I want your opinions.

Broken Spirit
Old Posted 04-29-2011, 07:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
Ya I've been antsy about it as well. So what if they didn't get the security codes? there's only so many possibilities. xp

I've been watching mine too. I hope the catch the guy/gal. :(

Old Posted 04-29-2011, 09:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Delicate Soul
Default   #3  
I heard the hacker group Anonymous is trying to take credit for it.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I mean they could look up our transaction logs if I'm not mistaken... I called my credit card provider and discussed decisions and the representative and I agreed that it was just best to watch my account and if nothing happens in like another week or whatever that I'm safe.

Broken Spirit
Old Posted 04-29-2011, 10:36 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
I heard that they did the first one and then this second one wasn't them. Who knows though.

That's good advise :)

Old Posted 04-29-2011, 10:51 PM Reply With Quote  
Delicate Soul
Default   #5  
That's all I can really suggest. That it's best to monitor your card and if you really don't feel safe get a new one issued.
The other thing too is if this happens to enough people and they all band together, Sony could face a lawsuit. x_x;

Broken Spirit
Old Posted 04-29-2011, 10:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
I think Sony already is. I heard something about it.

Today it was announced (not from sony) that the hackers are trying to sell 2.2 million credit cards.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...Cards-For-Sale

Old Posted 04-30-2011, 02:36 AM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Default   #7  
O~O That worries me.. what if my debit card thing is in there ;-;

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 04-30-2011, 03:22 AM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Luckily I only ever used PSN cards for my PS3 purchases.

Even so, I was attacked - My iTunes Store account sent me an email a couple of nights ago with a receipt for a poker application and $20 worth of poker chips taken from my iTunes account balance. I didn't use my credit information on that either, but it was still annoying to see that I was $20 out on fake money. I contacted iTunes, and apparently they've been getting a lot of people with the same problem. Normally they don't issue refunds, but they seem to be doing so for everyone who mentions the PSN hack.

I went around the rest of that night changing passwords and deleting my credit information from sites where I had done any online shopping at all. What a fun-filled and nerve-wracking way to spend your time. =/
Old Posted 04-30-2011, 04:04 AM Reply With Quote  
Delicate Soul
Default   #9  
Oh jeeze, that's not good. :/

Wow, that freaking sucks Dolly. I just asked my friend Scott if he was hit because he bought a few PS1 games. And I told my sister to keep an eye out because her husband has a PS3. They think they're safe too but I don't know if he's bought anything or not.

I can't believe that this honestly happened. It's just... crazy. :/

Broken Spirit
Old Posted 04-30-2011, 06:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Well, the only real problem is if you have anything linked to the same email/username that you use for PSN. It seems like they got to me through my email and searched around until they found something that they could use. My password for PSN and iTunes were similar, so I would definitely recommend a strong password change for anything that might be linked to both your email and to any kind of money.
Old Posted 04-30-2011, 11:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Delicate Soul
Default   #11  
All my passwords are different so I should be okay. I changed my email password recently too. That is a good thing to do, to change your passwords around.

Broken Spirit
Old Posted 04-30-2011, 11:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Yup, you're supposed to change them every couple of months or so anyway. (they're so freakin' hard to remember, or I would...) I changed mine to be long-as-hell with a hodgepodge of capitals and numbers. I hate contacting customer support for anything, and am going to make sure I never have to again.
Old Posted 04-30-2011, 11:45 PM Reply With Quote  
Delicate Soul
Default   #13  
To be honest I have some of my passwords saved on paper and stuff in my house. Because sometimes muscle memory doesn't always work for me. xD; I'm alright at remembering most of my passwords it's just some that I can't.

Broken Spirit
Old Posted 04-30-2011, 11:51 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Well, fuck.
This video pretty much sums up the PSN hack.
Old Posted 05-02-2011, 01:21 AM Reply With Quote  
Delicate Soul
Default   #15  
Oh god, that is too funny. >>
I really hope this doesn't take forever to salvage and fix.
And I hope you guys get some kind of compensation. :/

Broken Spirit
Old Posted 05-03-2011, 12:54 AM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
My boyfriend was saying that when it comes back online every PSN member is going to get a free month of Plus membership (which means free games, exclusive demos and trailers, etc.), free games and media depending on what region you're in, and a free month of Qriosity as compensation for the hack, which is almost worth it.
Old Posted 05-03-2011, 01:34 AM Reply With Quote