Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Dazed
Default The Mainstream.   #1  
We all know the phrase.
" Oh gawd, that's so mainstream."
Is the mainstream Good? Bad? Important or irrelevant?
What do you consider mainstream? Should we care? Do you?
Discuss away! :3
Old Posted 02-19-2011, 10:59 PM Reply With Quote  
---
The mainstream is good, it means that the common ground between humanity is there. Considering the mainstream represents what is popular between the majority, then there is hope that some day peace, kindness, and acceptance can become the mainstream.
Old Posted 02-19-2011, 11:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Dancing in the Rain
Default   #3  
I don't think the mainstream is bad, but I don't like a lot of mainstream things. I've also noticed that some people base what they like off the mainstream like:

Liking something mainstream is bad if you only like it because it's mainstream. If you just like it because you like it that's good. If you don't like it just because it's mainstream then that's bad. If you don't like it because you don't like it then that's good.
Old Posted 02-19-2011, 11:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Dazed
---: I Like the idea of ideals maybe one day being mainstream, and definitly agree that its cool that human kind has some common ground.

Ashley: HA! The rules. ANd if you're an indie hipster mainstream is just horrible and should be avoided at all costs. ( or so it seems.) I have to agree witih you though, I don't like everything that's classed as mainstream.
Old Posted 02-20-2011, 08:30 PM Reply With Quote  
writing machine in bad repair
Default   #5  
I don't really care what is or isn't mainstream. I guess I sort of have my own stream to go down? It's not intentional - I don't purposely look at what's popular, then go against it - but it's more like I don't really know what's going on because I'm on my own path. Music is a big example of that. I've said on numerous occasions that I tend to be about five years behind music trends. I'll like a song and find out it's five or more years old, but it's new to me because I had no idea what was going on. Because I was busy listening to stuff on another station and I just missed it, I guess.

It's like that with pretty much everything, though. I just don't have the time or awareness to really know what's going on as it's going on, and then I have to catch up to the mainstream (or at least a part of it) in order to understand it.

I kind of think this method is more genuine. As much as people might object, I think a lot of what they think and do and feel is affected by the mainstream - what other people are doing. They're either going with it or against it, but either way they're doing something in reaction to something else. If you ignore the mainstream, you might come out five years late but at least you'd probably feel like what you're feeling/thinking/assuming is less biased. xD

Last edited by johnny; 02-20-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old Posted 02-20-2011, 09:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Decepticon
Mainstream is just what's popular with a lot of people.
I think its more absurd to hate the mainstream stuff than to like it.
Why is it wrong to like something that's more available to people to enjoy, you know?
Old Posted 02-26-2011, 03:47 PM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
Default   #7  
I've never heard of that quote before

OBBIE'S twin sister
My Baby:Link Super secret Mission:Link
Old Posted 02-26-2011, 04:21 PM Reply With Quote  
Decepticon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo-chan713 View Post
I've never heard of that quote before
Usually people trying to be cool when talking about music will say stuff like that
Old Posted 02-26-2011, 04:25 PM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
Default   #9  
ah, then I'm far behind on those things cause I stay in my apartment and I download music for free.

OBBIE'S twin sister
Old Posted 02-26-2011, 04:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Decepticon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo-chan713 View Post
ah, then I'm far behind on those things cause I stay in my apartment and I download music for free.
Yuck D:
You should be buying your music, not stealing it
Old Posted 02-26-2011, 04:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Mahou Shoujo
Default   #11  
I kinda never cared much about the mainstream.
I do not think it's necessarily bad though, but if it stops you from forming your own thoughts and opinions it's not good either.
Aiko wants MINDSLAVES, pm her to be one!
Mindslaves: 3
Old Posted 02-26-2011, 05:09 PM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
I'm my own person, for me what is Mainstream, everyone has their own mainstream. Like average and normal. What is normal? What is average? Everyone has their own norms and averages (unless your thinking of math average; add, count, and divide).

I can be considered normal and someone else thinks of me as weird and strange. That's usually how the world works by judging others. The norms that the majority of us know to agree or disagree by made from the top then it works their way to bottom from the direct media (TV, internet, radio, newspaper, magazines, etc.) such as the Civil rights movement; it wasn't much to bring up upon until Martin Luther King Jr. created speeches of equality between the races, when the media got caught of it, then every African American wanted to become a part of it for themselves and their future generations.

Another factor that influences us would be how our culture changes such as economic, business, and technology. Such as saving money when the economy went down, and yet you would still bt the latest IPad and such, or the Wal-mart incidents of wiping family businesses.

Don't attack me on theses opinions. These are what I view them as.

Basically I'm saying that I don't judge people or thing as normal, average, weird, or even strange because one person's norm is anothers person's strangness.

So to put that as saying "Well that's mainstream" is judging someone else's interests in anything and for me it's rather childish. It's like saying "that's so gay" and/or "That's so retarded"

OBBIE'S twin sister
Old Posted 02-26-2011, 05:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Charmed Forever
Default   #13  
I don't like the Mainstream because Hipster Ariel is against the Mainstream. D8<
Old Posted 02-27-2011, 02:50 AM Reply With Quote