Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

A*DIC*TED
Default   #177  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death by Mirrors View Post
So if I have never played any Final Fantasy whatsoever, but am already fond of the killer Cactus and Tonberry, which one do you recommend starting with? If it also depends on hardware, I own a PC, Playstation 3, Wii and 3DS.
A few of them are available on Steam. The remastered version of VIII was just released on there if you'd like to try it! (It's one of my personal favorites next to VII and III)

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 09-14-2019, 04:57 AM  
Writer
Thank you both ^^
Old Posted 09-14-2019, 07:09 AM  
Developer
Default   #179  
Don't Play:

FF7: Don't play FF7 yet. It's a good game, but there's a remaster coming out in March that will be a WAY better experience than trying to play the original version, which was built around immature mid-90's 3D technology so it's one of the worst-looking games in the series, and it got rushed towards the end of its development cycle so there are a lot of bugs and an inconsistent translation and some game balance issues. I expect the remaster to solve all of the problems the original had.

FF1 and FF2: These were good games for their time but they haven't aged well at all. Their remakes provide some quality-of-life improvements, but FF1 doesn't have any compelling reason to play it other than its historical interest and FF2's game mechanics can be a tedious slog even in the remake, which is a shame because it has a good story.

FF3 and FF5: The FF3 remake (don't play the NES version) and FF5 (either the SNES original or the GBA port) are both great games but I don't really recommend them as your first entry into the series. The game mechanics have some balance issues and the job system can be tedious, especially if you aren't already familiar with the series.

FF11 and FF14: FF11 and FF14 are MMORPGs. They require a monthly subscription fee. They should have been called Final Fantasy Online and Final Fantasy Online II and left the numbered entries to the self-contained single-player games. They're fine games in their own right but they're not the same.

FF8 and FF12: I haven't played these myself, but both of these games are known for having game mechanics that can be weird, unbalanced, and beginner-unfriendly. I know a lot of people like them but I can't recommend them as an introduction to the series.

Do Play:

FF4: The FF4 remaster is a good choice. It's not very hard, and it's not too short but not too long. It's pretty well balanced, and it has a great story with memorable characters and iconic music. I kinda like the original translation better than the remaster, but the remaster is otherwise super polished and it looks really good. (If you want to play the original SNES version it was called Final Fantasy II here.) It's available on Nintendo DS, Android, iOS, and Steam.

FF6: FF6 (originally released in the US as Final Fantasy III) is a masterpiece. Some of the best music in the series. The SNES era of video games was a sweet spot of timelessness because developers and artists had mastered the medium and hadn't yet entered the awkward baby phases of 3D graphics, and FF6 is one of the best games for the platform. It has an incredibly well-written story with deep, complex characters, full of both drama and humor. The soundtrack is INCREDIBLE. The only problem with FF6 is that it never got a remake and it's never officially gotten true justice given to its translation. (The SNES translation was way better at characterization, but the GBA translation fixes a lot of mistakes caused by the SNES translation getting rushed at the cost of losing some of the beautifully colorful dialogue from the original.) There are several fan attempts to retranslate the game and I can recommend a couple of them if you're interested. It's available on Steam and GBA if you don't want to emulate it for SNES.

FF15: I haven't played FF15 myself, but everything I've seen about it says the game is a fantastic return to form after 14 was an MMORPG, 13 was stretched too far, 12 was overcomplicated, and 11 was also an MMORPG. It looks like it found the sweet spot again. PS4, Xbox One, and Windows.

FF9: Lots of people will say that FF9 wasn't a very good game. I disagree, in that there's nothing particularly wrong with it. It just doesn't have the awesome quality of some of the other games in the series. But what FF9 does have going for it is its simplicity -- it's very accessible, easy to pick up and play if you've never played a Final Fantasy game before. It's enjoyable in its own right and it's only ranked kinda low on the list because the rest of the series is so good. It was only ever released for PS1.

No Opinion:

I can't really weigh in on 10 or X-2. I haven't played them. They're apparently pretty good. They look pretty, they have good music, and I've never heard a complaint about their game mechanics. I just never got around to it.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 09-14-2019, 10:41 AM  
Rebooting....
X-2 is so totally a girl power FF!

Dang, I can't remember which one is the one with Zidane and Kuja. I'm such a Kuja fangirl.

I, uh, actually never finished it just because I didn't want to have to kill Kuja.
Old Posted 09-14-2019, 10:55 AM  
Developer
Default   #181  
Zidane and Kuja is FF9.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 09-14-2019, 11:03 AM  
Rebooting....
Was it really? Huh, I know we have a 2, 3 and a 4, but I don't know if the PS1 was ours or my brother's. Shoot.
Old Posted 09-14-2019, 11:17 AM  
Pixelist
Default   #183  
speaking of mmorpgs, i should get back into guild wars. i think it's up to level 30 for most of the free content.
percival is busy being queer as hell. he was also here.
somewhat busy working for trisphee.

a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Old Posted 09-14-2019, 01:06 PM  
Wanderer
coda how do you feel about xiii bc you actually didn’t list that one
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 09-14-2019, 01:31 PM  
Hakuna matata
Default   #185  
Several FF games are on iOS
I don't have them on it now but I've had 1-6 on my iPad and I've seen 7 in the store
Idk about any other mobile play stores tho

quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merskelly Metalien View Post
Kitalpha is a face again! 8O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidbarker View Post
hart is now a face again. rejoice.

if you read this you owe me one aurum
Old Posted 09-14-2019, 02:35 PM  
Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchchylde View Post
Was it really? Huh, I know we have a 2, 3 and a 4, but I don't know if the PS1 was ours or my brother's. Shoot.
Doesn't matter, the PS2 is 100% backwards-compatible. I got rid of my original PS1 when I got a PS2.

Old Posted 09-14-2019, 07:36 PM  
Developer
Default   #187  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espy View Post
coda how do you feel about xiii bc you actually didn’t list that one
Oops, I accidentally lost it in the revision process. It goes in the "no opinion" group. I've never played any of the XIII games, and the fact that there ARE so many is something of a turn-off for me. I like the self-contained nature of the other games, which would also be a plus for new player recommendations.

It should be noted that the list is my new player recommendations, too, not my own opinions. FF5 is my favorite, but I put it on the not-recommended list.

Old Posted 09-14-2019, 07:39 PM  
Hakuna matata
13 people tend to not like because it's extremely linear, which is apparently even more jarring than normal after the freedom of 12
I've never played 13 so I can't say if I find that to be true or not. Watching someone else play it, tho, it does seem very strong on the ONE PATH ONLY route

quest

Quote:
Quote:

Old Posted 09-14-2019, 11:07 PM  
Heavenly Angel
Default   #189  
First to quote this get a trade!
Old Posted 09-14-2019, 11:48 PM  
Hakuna matata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
First to quote this get a trade!
Bam

quest

Quote:
Quote:

Old Posted 09-15-2019, 12:21 AM  
Heavenly Angel
Default   #191  
Congrats Mekatra on winning page 10!
Old Posted 09-15-2019, 01:13 AM  
Icy Footed
Awwh, I was too late to quote Panda... <x[ Better luck next time for me I guess. :/
*falls asleep* -.- ….

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 09-15-2019, 01:39 AM