Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

isn't that funny
Default   #81  
i've done both. if i can do it cheaper it is on my own back but if someone has a good deal(even if the art isn't as nice) i like to throw my dollars at them to make something for me XD i have friends who do that back as well, haha
Old Posted 11-04-2019, 07:21 PM  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
There're artists who are better at things than me who have styles that I like. If I can commission someone for something that I have trouble with, or something like a chibi robot, I'm gonna commission them.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 11-07-2019, 12:34 AM  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #83  
It is funny to me that it is easier for me to convince myself to do that with art than it is crafty stuff. Like, I would rather learn to sew something myself than buy it.
Answer my riddle to earn a prize!

You'll always feel it, but can never see it. It's strong but shatters easily. You can give it away but never hold it. What is it?

Pm me the answer, no cheating please!
Old Posted 11-07-2019, 09:56 AM  
isn't that funny
i can see it. if your labor is less than the cost of prefab then why not?
Old Posted 11-07-2019, 07:04 PM  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #85  
for me, it's less about the cost and more about the fit of garments... I have a hard time finding pants/trousers that fit nicely because I am leggy, but with wide hips that are also short, and short-waisted. I'm also blessed with thighs that Thor would approve of, so there's another issue in fit there... not to mention being gifted with large tracts of land.

Quote:
Old Posted 11-07-2019, 07:50 PM  
A*DIC*TED
I too have the weird body for clothes fitting. Although, I think it is weird that some people can apparently just buy premade clothes off the rack that fit them without any kind of alteration or discomfort since the vast majority of people I know have hell finding properly fitting clothes.

I dunno why but it seems like when shirts get to bigger sizes they also tend to get shorter in length? I am a fairly tall person and also wear 3x shirts, but I can't buy a lot of cute shirts because they only reach my belly button when I put my arms above my head. :(

You'll always feel it, but can never see it. It's strong but shatters easily. You can give it away but never hold it. What is it?

Old Posted 11-07-2019, 11:14 PM  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #87  
Not to mention gapping with button-downs. I have to wear men's button-downs just to avoid that. And that's why I want to be able to make my own clothes. I know how to draft patterns and pattern blocks, I just don't have the means to buy all the fabric I need/want for that.

Quote:
Old Posted 11-08-2019, 10:37 PM  
A*DIC*TED
Fabric is seriously not cheap. I mean, I get why, but ouch. We did our garb for our historical recreation personas and my dress alone was 80 dollars worth of linen, and it was a really simple pattern.

Also for the record I keep reading the name of this thread as Den's Poopin hangout and it makes me chuckle.

Old Posted 11-08-2019, 10:40 PM  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #89  
There're times when I consider just buying bedsheets and using those as a source of fabric, because it'd be cheaper...

Quote:
Old Posted 11-08-2019, 10:45 PM  
A*DIC*TED
Depending on what kind of bedsheets and what kind of clothes you're making, that's certainly an option. I made my dress for my first wedding out of a bedsheet and a bunch of tulle I got on clearance. XD

Old Posted 11-08-2019, 10:47 PM  
isn't that funny
Default   #91  
well, depending on your needs you could try repurposing charity-shop clothes? skirts are usually really cheap as are shirts
Old Posted 11-09-2019, 08:14 PM  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Only problem with that is that if I'm shopping for clothes in a thrift store, I'm looking for something I can wear after a wash.

Quote:
Old Posted 11-09-2019, 08:41 PM  
isn't that funny
Default   #93  
that's fair too
Old Posted 11-09-2019, 11:20 PM  
A*DIC*TED
I used to like thrift store shopping, but now that I live really close to Aspen all of the thrift shops like to pretend that they're antique boutiques or something an all their prices are outrageous.

Old Posted 11-09-2019, 11:27 PM  
One Fish
Default   #95  
Doesn't that kind of defeat the meaning of "thrift shop"?

Also, would anyone be willing to trade me a Striking or Scary Skeleton Pants for the extra Spooky (black/white) Skeleton Pants I purchased?
HEEEEEEEEEE-MAAAAAAAN... SUCK MY BOOOOOOOOOONE!

THE PIZZA, HE-MAN! EAT IT!
Old Posted 11-10-2019, 12:00 AM  
isn't that funny
nah, they still benefit from getting free shit from locals. for them it's /very/ thrifty
Old Posted 11-10-2019, 12:35 AM