Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

a gender ghost.
Default Undertale   #1  
anybody else play this awesome game?

I just beat it today. It's great! Let's talk about it!!!
Old Posted 12-07-2015, 03:30 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
oooh, a pacifist run, a slaughterhouse run or just a little of both?
Old Posted 12-07-2015, 06:36 AM Reply With Quote  
a gender ghost.
Default   #3  
pacifist!

I love games where killing is optional.
Old Posted 12-07-2015, 06:42 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
then we have seen the same ending XD

dude, i am so uncomfortable with killing that even in games it bothers me a bit). i am debating hopping on youtube to see a non-pacifist ending since i heard comments about sans
Old Posted 12-07-2015, 06:46 AM Reply With Quote  
a gender ghost.
Default   #5  
I'll probably do a KILL EVERYTHING playthrough next, just to see the different ending.

I don't have a problem with killing in games, but as a pacifist in real life I always prefer the pacifist route when one is offered.
Old Posted 12-07-2015, 06:49 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
why don't you have a problem with it? it may be simulated but it is still killing
Old Posted 12-07-2015, 06:52 AM Reply With Quote  
a gender ghost.
Default   #7  
because nobody gets hurt in simulated killing! It's just ones and zeroes, colorful lights.
Old Posted 12-07-2015, 06:55 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
eh..... >x> i think you and i have different concepts of what constituents as 'hurt'
Old Posted 12-07-2015, 06:58 AM Reply With Quote  
a gender ghost.
Default   #9  
ehhh? I'm not sure in what way killing an NPC in a video game could be construed as hurting anybody; it's a computer program.
Old Posted 12-07-2015, 07:00 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
From what I've heard you should do the regular ending before you do the genocide ending, because the genocide ending does a bunch of fourth-wall-breaking stuff (that I won't spoil because it's awesome, but will significantly impact your ability to do another playthrough).

I understand the difference. Pacifism is more about nonviolence than it is about not killing. It's choosing to take the peaceful option, and not liking the feeling of doing violent things. Things not ending up dead is mostly a side effect -- a highly desirable one, yes, but sometimes being nonviolent LEADS to things ending up dead.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-07-2015, 01:11 PM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
Default   #11  
It's been on my to play list.

I just refuse to buy it from Steam since I don't want to support their Steam service.

Old Posted 12-07-2015, 02:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Oh, there is an article I found on the choice thing...
(Is sort of the topic of the final paper of mine)

How Players Engage with Moral Choice Systems

I have not played or watched the game yet. It is on priority after things like Space Engineers and a non-crashing laptop...

...I sort of prefer to just turn people into stone...or cheese...usually because of contrived aggression in games like Skyrim...in Neverwinter Nights, after you petrified someone, it resulted in them becoming neutral again after you left the area and came back...

What service do you use then, Illusion? (Only knows of Origin, Steam, and sites like Gamejolt)
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Old Posted 12-07-2015, 02:48 PM Reply With Quote  
a gender ghost.
Default   #13  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
From what I've heard you should do the regular ending before you do the genocide ending, because the genocide ending does a bunch of fourth-wall-breaking stuff (that I won't spoil because it's awesome, but will significantly impact your ability to do another playthrough).
yeah, I already did the Neutral and True Pacifism endings, so as far as I'm aware the Genocide ending is the only one left to do.

Quote:
I understand the difference. Pacifism is more about nonviolence than it is about not killing. It's choosing to take the peaceful option, and not liking the feeling of doing violent things. Things not ending up dead is mostly a side effect -- a highly desirable one, yes, but sometimes being nonviolent LEADS to things ending up dead.
I don't like hurting things OR killing things, that's why I don't eat meat even though I LOVE MEAT AUUUGH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
It's been on my to play list.

I just refuse to buy it from Steam since I don't want to support their Steam service.
whaaaat, I love Steam! It's awesome and super-convenient!
♥ Lovely Teahouse ♥

tumblr | twitter
Old Posted 12-07-2015, 04:50 PM Reply With Quote  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
I like Steam. But, if you're that opposed, buy it straight from the website. It looks like it gives you a Steam key, but you can also direct download the game. http://undertale.com/

I finished my true pacifist ending on Sunday. I've been successfully guilted into never starting over and deleting my save because everyone is happy. T_T So I've been listening to the soundtrack and looking at fan art pretty much non-stop. And looking up spoilers for the Genocide ending. I love to know the lore, but there's no way I could play it myself. I could never bring myself to kill Papyrus.

WHEN DO I GET TO MARRY PAPYRUS???

...I get really emotionally attached to characters.
Toby Fox did a great job at making meaningful characters with this game.

@Anna There are actually quite a few variations on the neutral ending based on whether you kill some of the bosses. But all it really affects is who ends up as King/Queen of the underworld after you leave, and you don't really get to see it.

I would maybe consider trying a genocide run if I were actually good at this game, but the sad truth is, I hit the minimum price of Temmie armor before I even left the village, and relied on it to carry me through my inability to dodge. I know in Genocide you actually gain stats which helps, but, with no early Temmie armor I doubt I could beat some of the tougher bosses. So I'll probably just watch a let's player do it so I can experience it a little more intimately than just reading forums and wikis.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 12-07-2015, 06:12 PM Reply With Quote  
a gender ghost.
Default   #15  
I didn't even know about the Temmie armor until after beating the game. I relied on bicicles to carry me through boss fights.
♥ Lovely Teahouse ♥

tumblr | twitter
Old Posted 12-07-2015, 06:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Shy Ghost
NAPSTABLOOOOK!
Ahem...Hello.
Old Posted 12-10-2015, 07:34 AM Reply With Quote