Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Harmless
Default Craving for good summer reads!   #1  
Hi there.
Well, it's summer which means I ultimately have a lot of time to waste, why not spend that time reading!

I'd like some books to be recommended for summer reading! I don't really have a specific genre, just keep it somewhere withing fiction and fantasy. You know, the standard kind of thing for a geeky teenage girl. xD

Books I was already planning on reading:
- The Hunger Games
- Percy Jackson

Thank you in advance for the help!

"...Now I only want you gone..."
Old Posted 07-02-2011, 03:00 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
i dunno if you only read kiddie books or not but my recomendation is the nightrunner series by lynn flewelling, it is fantasy with politics, intruge, humor, and a bit of romance^^ spans five books and will prolly kill 10-15 hours all together so it'd get you through a week at least^^

the first book is the least likeable of the lot just so you know, sorry
Old Posted 07-02-2011, 03:14 AM Reply With Quote  
Harmless
Default   #3  
Kiddie books are the ones that have the funnest fantasy though. xD

Awesome, thanks! I'll definitely have to look into that series.

"...Now I only want you gone..."
Old Posted 07-02-2011, 03:36 AM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
I will have to make a list, but right now I am going to start a series called the city of Ember. I watched the movie not knowing it was a book and the movie was really awesome. I am hoping the book is just as good.
Old Posted 07-03-2011, 10:17 AM Reply With Quote  
Psych
Default   #5  
I liked the Georgia Nicolson series when I was in high school. It's like Bridget Jones' diary but a teenage girl. Very funny.
Old Posted 07-04-2011, 03:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot

If you want to read something in the horror genre you can read anything by Brian Keene.
My favourite books are The Rising and City Of The Dead. Both zombie related books. They're quite... detailed though.

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 07-04-2011, 04:52 PM Reply With Quote  
One Fish
Default   #7  
I'd recomend A Long Way From Chicago or Year Down Yonder, both by Richard Peck, very good and very funny. Another one I like is Uglies, by Scott Westerfeild, if you're in to sci-fi.
Known as Kajiko almost everywhere else.
Old Posted 07-04-2011, 07:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
I haven't had time to read the uglies by him but I have read leviathan and behemoth both of which are really good. I especially like the art work done for them.
Old Posted 07-05-2011, 01:28 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #9  
I like fantasy but my favourite books tend to be older. I've read very fiew contemporary books lately, unless one counts Harry Potter. I dwell in the pre-1950's usually.

My favourite fantasy books are Homeland, by R.A. Salvatore, Evermeet, Island of Elves by Elaine Cunningham, and I, Strahd: Memoires of a Vampmire by P.N. Elrod. The first two are from the Forgotten Realms shared world stuff printed by Wizards of the Coast, formerly by TSR, and the third is Ravenloft which may or may not have been re-released relatively recently in a collection called the Ravenloft Covenant.

My favourite books in general, are War and Peace (long but easy to read once you get the main characters figured out) by Leo Tolstoy, All Quiet On the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (takes place in WWI from the prospective of a young German soldier) and Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus (full title ;) by Mary Shelley. Frankenstein is from the 1800ds but Mary Shelley doesn't have the convoluted or overly flowery style that some other writers of the time did so it's fairly easy to read as well. I found it interesting in that I felt more sympathy for Victor rather than the monster, which I didn't really like at all.

The Golden Compass was an okay read if you're looking for more fantasy with a bit of philosophy to play with though there's a lot of reference to religion in it, the concept of original sin in particular, which was largely cut from the movie. The movie had the look right for the most part, and some of the scenes seemed to be taken right from the book, but the meaning was skewed a lot which irritated me a little. There's much more stuff going on in the book than in the film.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 07-05-2011 at 05:06 AM.
Old Posted 07-05-2011, 05:04 AM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
you should look into "Hush Hush" by Becca Fitzpatrick
I've only read the first book and I loved it. I didn't realize it was a series (I got it right after the first one came out) And I'm planning to start the second book today or tomorrow. Its an interesting story. I'll be sure to come back and tell you if the second is any good.

link to authors website:
http://beccafitzpatrick.com/

Also, Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson series)
Or any of her books/series really.
I own them all, and I've read most of them and loved them. Theres a few I haven't gotten to yet because I loaned them to my boss.. >.>;

Moon Called is your basic fantasy type book. It has shape-shifters, werewolves, vampires, witches, Fae, magic items, and a awesome story. Its a six book series with the 7th coming out next year. I can't wait. She also has an off shoot of the series from a different characters point of view. And its not one of the main ones its just a character you hear about but don't meet much in the Mercy Thompson Series.

Authors Website;
http://www.patriciabriggs.com/books/

On the Percy Jackson Series:
I loved it personally, except for book 5. I felt the author had a hard time wrapping everything up with that last book... things... didn't really flow for me. I hope its not the same for you.
Be sure to read the Demigod Files! Its part of the series. It ties the books together. If I remember right it goes between 4 and 5. Its a group of short stories. I hadn't realized the it explained things... so I didn't bother with it until after the 5th book. It really explained somethings.
There is also a Sequel Series to the Percy Jackson Series! I've read most of the first book and loved it.
I haven;t yet touched his other series I got the book but borrowed it out before I could read it...

If you would like more titles I've got a bunch more!
Just let me know.

-- I read a lot and many books at one time if you couldn't tell, but I also have a habit of borrowing out the books before I even get a chance to read them. >.>;
"It's in the stars.
It's been written in the scars on our hearts.

Your head is running wild again, my dear.
We still have everythin'.
We're not broken, just bent.
I'll fix it for us.
Our love's enough. "
Old Posted 07-05-2011, 02:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Silent Scream
Default   #11  

If you want something far-fetched, read: All-American Girl
XD

^Toxxic art
art by chocobo & honey
Old Posted 07-06-2011, 07:11 AM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
XD Oh keiko thats cruel. I used to read the American Girl series as a child.
I didn't think they were that bad just very idealistic. The ones I couldn't read were the diary ones.
Old Posted 07-06-2011, 10:49 AM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
Default   #13  
Anne Macaffery may have stopped writing and had her son take over but her and her son's books about Pern are awesome to anyone who enjoys fantasy. I particularly liked the masterharper of pern trilogy she did.
Old Posted 07-15-2011, 10:36 PM Reply With Quote  
THIS. IS. SPAR -shot- ... *gurgle*
I always liked the Mercedes Lackey books myself. And not just the Valdemar series. I actually suggest her book The Black Swan. Or if you like humor her Five Hundred Kingdoms series is a good mix of fantasy romance and fun.
Old Posted 07-15-2011, 10:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Default   #15  
I enjoy lacky myself. I've been reading the ones she did with James Malloy they are so good.

So I just finished the City of Ember and its sequel the people of sparks. For young adult fiction its actually really good.
Old Posted 07-16-2011, 05:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
The Maze Runner
Human.4
Neverwhere
The Uglies

Mmm Yes. I think those will do. XD

'Tis a picture of Tokyo I took. ^^
I'm a girl.
I love Writing Tools, and KPop, and minty stuffs.
Old Posted 07-16-2011, 07:19 PM Reply With Quote