Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Charmed Forever
Default The sexy parts... they exist!   #1  
I'm just curious to know how people feel about sex in the books they read. Do you skip right over the sexual parts, read them like it is God, or just continue through your book because it's not a big deal?

I'm just curious about how people feel about it.
Old Posted 06-03-2011, 05:30 PM Reply With Quote  
~!Halloween Queen!~
HAHAHA. And of course, I'm the first one to respond to this topic. Brilliant. xD;

I read the sexy parts at LEAST five or six times. <.<; Especially if you know.. its taken four or five books to lead UP to the sexy time. I'm all "ITS ABOUT. FREAKING. TIME. GOD." -reads six times- I just enjoy reading about it, you know? I'm a physical person, and I get SO very attached to the characters I'm reading about. So if they score, mentally, I score. XD;

Does that sound weird to anyone else?
Mama bat to a beautiful baby bat <3
Old Posted 06-03-2011, 05:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Default   #3  
I rarely read books with sexual parts in them, not because I don't like them but because they just don't seem to be in the books I normally read xD If they are tastefully written and descriptive I certainly do NOT skip over them, they are enjoyable to read xD

On the other hand I have read one or two with really poorly written ones that I glossed over.

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 06-03-2011, 05:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
If it's a good book that's written well, then the sexy parts are like the cream filling of an Oreo - a nice creamy treat in the center of a chocolate cookie. x3
Old Posted 06-03-2011, 06:05 PM Reply With Quote  
Charmed Forever
Default   #5  
@Batty: Doesn't sound weird to me. xD
@Serra Britt: I guess you don't read many romance novels. x3
@Cupcake: It has to be tasteful for me to read as well. c:
Old Posted 06-03-2011, 06:23 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Nanka, no, I don't, the few that I did read fell under that "poorly written" part ^^; I'm sure there are good romance novels out there I just never encountered them :P

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 06-03-2011, 06:29 PM Reply With Quote  
Charmed Forever
Default   #7  
I only read a Romance series because it is all fantasy and the sex scenes are good. >.>
Old Posted 06-03-2011, 06:36 PM Reply With Quote  
Dazed
I use to only read them for the sex parts but after a while it got old and now I only read them for the plot I kind of just skip the sex scenes now unless it's a really really good one.
Old Posted 06-03-2011, 06:55 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #9  
I pretty much just skim for dialogue, just in case something plot-important gets mentioned. Otherwise, I tend to skip right over them. They just do nothing for me. My reaction is usually "yep, okay, they have sex, let's get back to the story now".

I don't usually like books that have many and/or overly detailed sex scenes. Like... the Pillars of the Earth which I just finished reading, had no less than five multiple-page rape scenes from the perspective of the rapist, which honestly makes me question the psyche of the writer.

That's the only sort of thing that really bothers me. Consensual scenes are just boring filler to me, as I'm asexual.
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 06-03-2011, 07:21 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
I've been reading the Quantum Gravity series, which looks at love more... objectively than most books, I guess. It's a fantasy/sci-fi series, but with romance deep down at its core. What I really like about it is that it has graphic sex scenes, but they don't run for too long and they don't appear too frequently - the first book has only one toward the end, and I think at least one of the books has no sex at all.
Old Posted 06-03-2011, 09:33 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #11  
One of my favorite series, The Prince of Nothing trilogy is full of over-the-top graphic sex, but the way it's written actually works for me. On one hand, it adds an element of icky horror to his orc-equivalents that makes them a lot more terrifying than the generic bad guys in most fantasy. On the other hand, the normal sex in the books feels completely unromantic, and often disgusting, which is the point, since the world of Earwa... just sucks. Despite how often it comes up in the story (one of the main characters is a prostitute) it never really feels gratuitous.
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 06-03-2011, 09:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Time Lord
well, Like most people if the book is well put together and their is a point to the sexy part ya sure. tho it dosn't have to have a point beside make them more intimate. I don't like if it is to down and dirty though.
I've just come back to Trisphee.
Old Posted 06-03-2011, 09:49 PM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
Default   #13  
I would just reread that part and be done with it, I'm a smutty type of girl. I want to read the smut book that my friend is reading, maybe when we see each other, I'll borrow the book since Libraries don't carry them XD

Sexi n books are AMAZING depending on how its worded that can turn me on or get confused. Sorry to kill it but I love the fanfiction yaois they are close to really well written depending on the writer if it's between a romancer that gets the character personalities and conflicts, etc or a 15 year old yaoi fangirl that says "Screw the rules let's have SEX!"

*Needs to facbook friend for book*

OBBIE'S twin sister
My Baby:Link Super secret Mission:Link
Last edited by Echo-chan713; 07-17-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old Posted 06-04-2011, 12:59 AM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Of the books I read with the sexual parts... I read over them once or twice.
It's kinda cool, in a way, but I'm still reading the book for the rest of the story.
Old Posted 06-04-2011, 04:53 AM Reply With Quote  
Poconut Overlord
Default   #15  
I tend to skip over them. I've read books with some very intimate flirting/kissing/touching which I don't mind. But when it delves into actual sex- not so much. Then again the only sex scenes in the book I can think of is between a male starship captain and a male ship engineer. The other relationships, no matter the gender combination, usually ends up with one of the two dying before intercourse ever happens. =\

EDIT: oh and said starship captain is dying of an incurable neurological disease....and his boyfriend is now a god. Makes no sense without context does it? xD
Last edited by Jurinjo; 06-04-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old Posted 06-04-2011, 11:45 AM Reply With Quote  
THIS. IS. SPAR -shot- ... *gurgle*
Hehe, if you knew me in real life, you would think I'm cute and innocent (most of my friends do XD), but when I'm alone, I'll be reading yaoi and romance books that have the full sex scene in it XD I lost my innocence long ago xD
Giving away crystals and jewels here: Free Event Currency Here! For a limited time only! Looking for donaters. Ran out of pearls D:

<3 Thank you to all the generous people that got my avi dressed up! <3

I may not have much but take a look at my DeviantArt :) http://elf-healer.deviantart.com/

My status thingy said CHEEZBURGER, so... I really felt the urge to do this:

I CAN HAZ CHEEZBERGAHZ? o w o

Old Posted 07-16-2011, 10:12 PM Reply With Quote