Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Forward Thinker
Default   #17  
Never feel bad about blocking ads. The norm is horrible, intrusive ads, and those need to go away.
Old Posted 11-02-2015, 04:23 PM Reply With Quote  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Many adblockers are letting safe, unobtrusive ads through on sites that can validate that they are only using ads that meet certain criteria of being not-annoying. Could be an option if you ever do want to go the ad route.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 11-02-2015, 04:26 PM Reply With Quote  
Black Mistress of Purple
Default   #19  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I dunno about you but I never noticed the ad before, however, when i scrolled down to look at it --- it thinks i need to meet me some fine asian women.

I wonder what that says about me ._.

xD
I'm not Asian. :(
My DeviantART
I get distracted easily, Private Message me for faster responses.
Old Posted 11-02-2015, 05:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohopekaliga View Post
I'm not bothered by AdBlock. :) The ads are pay-per-click, and I am explicitly forbidden to encourage users to click on ads. It's supposed to be entirely because the user is interested in the content. If you block ads, well, you're clearly not interested.

Pay-per-(thousand-)view ads are those noisy, in your face, auto-play type ads, and I hate hate hate those. They'll not come here. (And if they DO, AdSense is fired immediately.)
You do know I work for AdSense, right?

EDIT: If I didn't see the code for myself I wouldn't have believed it was AdSense. o.o It's advertising womens' shoes. How do you have this thing configured, Toho? -- no, scratch that, IM me.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-02-2015, 06:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #21  
I, uh, personally would be rather uncomfortable if Tris developed some sort of subscription thing.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 11-02-2015, 07:55 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
If there was a subscription (and if there ever is, it won't be for quite a while), it would just be a way to automatically get Runes, not to unlock more features or something.
Old Posted 11-02-2015, 08:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #23  
Aah, okay. ...I get the feeling we've had this discussion elsewhere a long time ago. That's reasonable.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 11-02-2015, 08:07 PM Reply With Quote  
Black Mistress of Purple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
You do know I work for AdSense, right?

EDIT: If I didn't see the code for myself I wouldn't have believed it was AdSense. o.o It's advertising womens' shoes. How do you have this thing configured, Toho? -- no, scratch that, IM me.
Oh, noes! Don't thrash him too hard!
My DeviantART
Old Posted 11-02-2015, 08:23 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #25  
Heh, nah, we figured out what was going wrong -- AdSense was probably looking at the fact that I was researching stuff for making costumes, and thought "this person likes clothing, this website is about fashion design, here, have an ad".

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-03-2015, 01:51 PM Reply With Quote  
Black Mistress of Purple
I'm tempted to disable my Adblock to see what they'd offer me. >->

Edit
I got a Twitter ad. Apparently I need to socialize more.

Oooh, it's a Twitter Ad ad, lol.
Ok, so that makes since... I have been trying to advertise my website lately. XD
My DeviantART
Old Posted 11-03-2015, 04:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #27  
Honestly, AdSense is one of the providers I'd whitelist if I did use an ad blocker, and not just because I work for them -- AdSense text ads are some of the most tasteful, least obtrusive ads I've ever seen, and they NEVER open pop-overs or pop-unders. There's a few other things I'd like to see them change, but since I work for them I'm not going to say what in public because I don't want to inadvertently leak anything that would violate my NDA.

Old Posted 11-03-2015, 05:24 PM Reply With Quote  
Black Mistress of Purple
I may consider whitelisting them. I primarily got Adblock Plus because I do lurk at GaiaOnline (despite their blatant "gimmemoney-gimmemoney-gimmemoney-gimmemoney" attitude) and their ads were autoplay and at that time, I had a shitty laptop, so it would freeze my laptop to the point where sometimes I had to ctrl+alt+del just to get it to stop which pissed me off further cause I HEAVILY multi-task most of the time Surprisingly, I only got 1 window with 8 tabs, 1 doc, 1 txt, 3 folders, and 1 psd open right now >->
If you don't mind my asking, do you guys get paid per clicks or would it have to be a click+(sub/purchase)?
My DeviantART
Old Posted 11-03-2015, 05:31 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Default   #29  
I'm...not sure I'm allowed to say? Whatever. They don't specify. If I had to guess, I'd say it varies based on what ad it is.

I know most social ads I can buy on Twitter or Facebook, or AdWords, are paid per interaction (click), so I'd be paying for people to click to the site (or the tweet, or the facebook post), and anything beyond that is outside the scope of the ad agreement.
Old Posted 11-03-2015, 05:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Black Mistress of Purple
I was just curious cause if AdSense is safe, then I was going to whitelist and start clicking for you guys. XP
My DeviantART
Old Posted 11-03-2015, 05:51 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #31  
Well, I don't know if you can necessarily trust me at my word since I WORK for them, but yes, AdSense text/image ads are safe*. AdSense video ads are safe* but if one of your concerns is loading a bunch of videos that you're not going to watch, then it doesn't particularly matter how safe they are.

* Where by "safe" I mean that they won't do anything evil to your computer/browser/account/etc., although they're still going to track some information about your web-surfing habits. If this bothers you more than getting inane ads for things that you'd never possibly be interested in, you can turn it off in your Google account settings.

Old Posted 11-03-2015, 06:25 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
The idea behind ads is you click on them if you have interest in their content.

Clicking for the sake of clicking, well...that's what ad networks stop serving you for. ("you" in this context is "me," and "stop serving" means "stop making me money" :P)

Now, if it's interesting to you, but ultimately doesn't matter, then that was a good click.

But yes, there are no video ads that appear on Trisphee, and that will continue to be the case. I've noticed that they occasionally use flash and are animated, but that's about it.
Old Posted 11-03-2015, 06:33 PM Reply With Quote