Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

nostalgic
Default   #17  
I've got a recommendation!

Genre: Dark Fantasy
Title: The Last Wish
Author: Andrzej Sapkowski
Synopsis: Geralt of Rivia is a witcher. A cunning sorcerer. A merciless assassin. His sole purpose is to destroy the monsters that plague the world, but not everything monstrous-looking is evil, and not everything fair is good... and in every fairy tale there is a grain of truth.
Why do you recommend this book? This has to be, by far, my favorite book series of all time. It revitalised my interest in fantasy with it's tone and atmosphere, which totally throws aside Tolkien-esque High Fantasy and gives you a dark, realistic, and dare I say modern world. No destined heroes or noble kings and evil warlord here. There is racism, there is terrorism, there is pollution, there is corruption, and there are real monsters.

Is this a book, manga, or graphic novel? First of a book series. I'm still waiting for the third in the series to be translated into Enmglish, which should be next spring if it isn't delayed again.
Old Posted 10-20-2010, 06:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
Genre: Fantasy
Title: The Little Prince
Author: Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (translated by Katherine Woods)
Synopsis: When a pilot crashes into the desert and meets a young prince from another world, he is forced to look at the world with different eyes through stories the young prince tells him.
Why do you recommend this book? This book is unique in the fact that although it seems like a children's book, even adults can enjoy it if in the right mind-set. It is very symbolic in many aspects and can be mind-opening if you let it. It was a very fun book, and I'd even read it again if I could. I also like that it really relates to the author, who was a pilot and had been in a few plane crashes like the narrator of the story.

Is this a book, manga, or graphic novel? It is a book.
Old Posted 11-21-2010, 07:21 PM Reply With Quote  
Ho! Miscreant!
Default   #19  
Genre: Romantic Fantasy
Title: A Great And Terrible Beauty
Author: Libba Bray
Synopsis: It's 1895, and after the suicide of her mother, 16-year-old Gemma Doyle is shipped off from the life she knows in India to Spence, a proper boarding school in England. Lonely, guilt-ridden, and prone to visions of the future that have an uncomfortable habit of coming true, Gemma's reception there is a chilly one. To make things worse, she's been followed by a mysterious young Indian man, a man sent to watch her. But why? What is her destiny? And what will her entanglement with Spence's most powerful girls—and their foray into the spiritual world—lead to?
Why do you recommend this book? It's intriguing, compelling, has its moments of passion, and some moments of sheer terror! You don't know what to expect when you turn the page. Overall a fascinating and exciting read!

Is this a book, manga, or graphic novel? Book
Old Posted 12-28-2010, 11:44 AM Reply With Quote  
writing machine in bad repair
Finally got around to updating everything.

I will try to find a way to incorporate a better system of searching/browsing/etc. but until then, there are only a few entries so everyone should be okay.

Old Posted 01-01-2011, 09:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Ho! Miscreant!
Default   #21  
Very cool set-up!

Genre: Horror/Thriller
Title:Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Author: Ryukishi17
Synopsis:Higurashi no Naku Koro ni takes place during June 1983, at a fictional rural village called Hinamizawa, which has a population of approximately 2,000. The main character, Keiichi Maebara, moves to Hinamizawa and befriends his new classmates Rena Ryugu, Mion Sonozaki, Rika Furude, and Satoko Houjou. Keiichi joins their after-school club activities, which consist mostly of card and board games. Hinamizawa appears to be a normal, peaceful, rural village to Keiichi. However, the tranquility abruptly ends after the annual Watanagashi Festival, a celebration to commemorate and give thanks to the local god, Oyashiro. Keiichi learns that every year for the past four years, one person has been murdered and another has gone missing on the day of the Watanagashi Festival. Keiichi himself soon becomes drawn into the strange events surrounding the Watanagashi Festival and Oyashiro. In each story arc, he or one of his friends become paranoid, and a crime is committed. Usually, the crime involves the murder of one of their own friends. While it seems impossible to tell their delusions apart from the mystery of Hinamizawa, slowly the truth is revealed.
Why do you recommend this book? The thrill of confusion, the tenderness of your stomach as you read, and the haunting images that cannot be erased from your mind presents a wonderful horror story! Though scared stiff on some parts, I couldn't remove my eyes from each page.

Is this a book, manga, or graphic novel? Manga

~ You can dance if you want too,
You can leave your friends behind.
Because if they don't dance,
Then they're no friends of mine ~
Old Posted 01-02-2011, 01:57 PM Reply With Quote  
writing machine in bad repair
Updated!

I'm not sure for how long this system will last before I'll have to re-construct it. I'm thinking of creating a "tag list" of authors and titles that people can Control/Command+F and search for under the genre list in the first post.

Old Posted 01-02-2011, 03:52 PM Reply With Quote  
The Best You Ever Had ;]
Default   #23  
Genre: Historical Fiction
Title: The Count of Monte Cristo
Author: Alexandre Dumas
Synopsis: n Alexandre Dumas's The Count of Monte Cristo, handsome Edmond Dantès escapes from Chateau d'If after being imprisoned for 14 years. With knowledge he gained in prison, he locates an immense treasure, recreates himself as a count, and vows to reward those who were kind to him and to punish the enemies who conspired to imprison him. Alexandre Dumas spins a rollicking tale of adventure, wit, revenge, and hope.
Why do you recommend this book? This is by far my most favourite novel of all time. Beautiful written by Dumas without the heavy and overloaded descriptions of Dickens and Shelley or long and drawn out explanations of Doyle. (not to discount these authors, ahhaa) Filled with drama that will keep you compelled to read page by page.

**11/25/2023**
I am Hobovampire everyone but here and I cannot for the life of me recall why. Sup.

Blaine says you should visit his:
Oh! The Possibilites: Art Shop~| Homeless Arts: Art Gallery |Splendida Giornata:Exchange Thread | Homeless Musings: Art Tumblr|

Old Posted 02-15-2011, 08:46 PM Reply With Quote  
More More Magic
Genre: Gothic
Title: The Castle of Otranto
Author: Horace Walpole
Synopsis: (taken and abbreviated from Wikipedia) The Castle of Otranto tells the story of Manfred, lord of the castle, and his family. The book begins on the wedding-day of his sickly son Conrad and princess Isabella. Shortly before the wedding, however, Conrad is crushed to death by a gigantic helmet that falls on him from above. Terrified that Conrad's death signals the beginning of the end for his line, Manfred contrives and attempts some very questionable results.
Why do you recommend this book? It's clever and quaint. A quick read that opened an entire new genre of books for me.

Is this a book, manga, or graphic novel? Book. It's also a free download via. Amazon if you have an e-reader.

Old Posted 02-16-2011, 12:10 PM Reply With Quote  
The Dragon Reborn
Default   #25  

Title: The Wheel of Time series

Author: Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

Synopsis: The Dark One, a being of great evil was sealed at the start of time by the creater. Aes Sedai, users of the One Power, the magic of the series, in their ignorance broke this seal and unleashed evil on a perfect world. An attempt by the leader of the Aes Sedai, Lews Therin Telamon, to reseal the hole in the prison is partially successful, but a backlash of the Dark One's power corrupts all male users of the One Power driving them to madness thus bringing about a collapse that almost destroyed the world. Thousands of years later, new kingdoms have arison and the female Aes Sedai attempt to guide and control everything they can get their hands on as well as search for male users of the One Power before they go mad. During this time, the weak seal on the Dark One's prison is cracking and his evil touch is again speding across the land. Only the Dragon Reborn, the reincarnation of Lews Therin Telemon, can defeat him in the final battle between the light and the dark. But can he unite the kingdoms and defeat the Dark One and his armies before he is drivon completely insane or captured by the Aes Sedai?

Why do you recommend this book? This series is easily the most complete fictional world I have seen (more so than even Lord of the Rings.)
The characters are rich and the major plots and subplots are exciting and feel epic. It is beautfully written and easily understood. There are many mysteries and puzzles throughout that will bring anyone who reads them to think.

Is this a book, manga, or graphic novel? This is a 14 book series that still awaits it's final part near the end of this year.
Old Posted 02-17-2011, 12:43 AM Reply With Quote  
Red Fish
Genre: Slice of Life
Title: Catcher of the Rye
Author:J.D Salinger
Synopsis: about a boy whose confused of his identity, he affliates himself with others and changes his identity to belong
Why do you recommend this book? its not like other books, it has a good storyline to it

Is this a book, manga, or graphic novel? book
Old Posted 02-17-2011, 06:10 AM Reply With Quote  
~!Halloween Queen!~
Default   #27  
I'll have to contribute to this later, when I'm in direct vision of my book collection. xD;
Mama bat to a beautiful baby bat <3
Old Posted 05-20-2011, 05:08 PM Reply With Quote  
gnometastic
oh lord, this is gonna take me a while LOL I'll probably pop back in frequently as I recall other things I'd recommend. I'm going to try to recommend across a lot of Genre's, just so people have lots of options.

Title: Twelve Kingdsom Volume 1: Sea of Shadow
Author: Fuyumi Ono
Synopsis: Yoko did everything she could to be a 'good daughter' and unexceptional girl, but her red hair made that hard. But nothing she'd done prepared her for the arrival of a blonde stranger who swore to serve her always...just before plunging her into a new world. Now, lost in another world, another kingdom, she must fight off demons, thieves and assassins to discover why it is she was brought to this place. And why her face is no longer her own.
Why do you recommend this book? This is the first book in a series by Ono and it's amazingly rich in details of this new world. It's not a hard read, even though it's a longer book. While found in the Teen Fiction area it's message is much more mature, and with undertones of horror, not really meant for an immature audience.

Is this a book, manga, or graphic novel? This is a Japanese novel that was translated, so while it does contain the occasional illustration it is not a manga, but reads a bit lighter than a traditional book.

Genre: Regency Romance
Title: Four in Hand
Author: Stephanie Laurens
Synopsis: After a years time Caroline Twinning decided it was time she and her three sisters set themselves upon London to find husbands. To do this she would have to seek out their guardian, the Duke of Twyford. However, he is not as she expected.
Why do you recommend this book? This is one of Stephanie Laurens first novels and she is a past master of creating rich characters who seem to step out of the book. Very much a 'classical' regency novel you may not find many surprises inside, but it's a good read.

Genre: Action/ Suspense
Title: Die Trying
Author: Lee Child
Synopsis: Jack Reacher is in the wrong, and right, place at the right time yet again. Kidnapped along with FBI agent Holly Johnson he's transported across the nation and embroiled in a madman's scheme. It will take a man of his unique abilities to save Holly and stop a potential crisis.
Why do you recommend this book? Out of all of Lee Child's Jack Reacher series this is the most involving book. Some of the imagery is incredibly evocative and you find yourself rooting for the hero against all odds.

Is this a book, manga, or graphic novel? book

Title: Howl's Moving Castle
Author: Diana Wynne Jones
Synopsis: Sophie is most unfortunate to be the eldest of three daughters. After meeting the Witch of the Waste she sets out to find her fortune, and instead finds the Horrible Howl's moving castle. With the help of a fire demon, a narcissistic wizard, a turnip headed scarecrow and a magic stick Sophie shall find her fortune.
Why do you recommend this book? While I enjoy the movie the book is much more visually rich, the character of Sophie much more British and over all the book is super enjoyable. As are the two sequels.

Is this a book, manga, or graphic novel?book
I've gone to look for myself, if I should return before I get back keep me here.

beautiful art by littl3chocobo
Old Posted 05-21-2011, 11:57 AM Reply With Quote