Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Divine Knight
Default Chapter 63: Arrival at the Palace   #1  

A week into their journey and they were already well established in the routine of travel. Mira rose at dawn each morning, ate swiftly, and was ready to be off. As they left leagues behind, they spoke of Quesaria and the darkness that threatened it, of the past war and the reign of Maesha. They spoke often of the gods, of the forces of the Divine and the Corrupt, and the Sentinels above them. Of the Taskal War and Dacorum's part in it. Mira was fascinated by his tales, and pressed him for details at every interval. If nothing else, she was eager to learn.

They passed through forested country now, meeting few fellow travelers on the overgrown roads. She had been oddly silent for the past hour, deep in thought, and he had not thought to disturb her. When she spoke at last, though, he gave her his full attention.

“So, where exactly are we heading to?”

Dacorum had given the matter no small thought, and had decided that above all else, they required grounding, a refuge to build their strength and ready Mira for the trials she would face. He could think of only one place on all Quesaria to take her. “To the Queen's Palace at Isremme,” he replied. “It is my hope that Queen Pandora will have knowledge of our enemy, and that she will be able to offer us sanctuary.”

“The Queen has armies.” Mira spoke with a gravity he'd rarely heard from her in their time together. “And war is coming. She has waged war before. What do you think she will make of me?” She looked up at him as she asked the last, worry clouding her gaze.

“I confess, I have never met her, but she is by all accounts an honorable ruler, wise and compassionate, but capable of swift action in defense of her people. I believe she will be able to help us.”

Old Posted 11-18-2012, 11:27 PM  
Vessel of Divinity

It made sense, seeking the seat of power upon Quesaria to begin their quest. She'd never been anywhere near Isremme, had barely gone farther than the edge of her village, and with Nox festival in full season, Mira could barely imagine what magnificence would await them in the Queen's city. She doubted she'd have much time to enjoy the sites, though.

Am I ready to fight a war? I've never fought anyone. The vision was so clear, that bright sword, but how can I succeed where heroes like Dacorum would fail? Will the Queen see a savior when she looks upon me? Or a girl unknown to the world? How can... how can war be about saving people?

She was so caught up in her thoughts that she hadn't realized Dacorum had stopped. She collided with his horse and lost her balance, hitting her elbow hard as she fell. Dacorum helped her to her feet without comment, and as soon as she looked ahead, she saw the reason for their halt. Her breath caught.

“Is that...?”

Dacorum smiled, extending his hand to the vista before them. "Isremme, yes. The capitol of this world."

Mira was awed by the sight, towers higher than she'd ever imagined, walls that gleamed like polished glass, blazons flying the royal arms against the cloudless sky.

This city is a thing that lives... and the Queen dwells in its heart.
Old Posted 11-18-2012, 11:28 PM  
Divine Knight
Default   #3  

They did not tarry long outside the city, passing down the causeway among the stream of travelers coming to attend the festival. As Mira took in the sights of what must have seemed a marvel from her dreams, Dacorum did his best to guide her through the crowds, making for the tiered edifice of the palace in the distance.

Though he still feared for the future, the knight of Ascaria could not deny that in coming to know this remarkable young woman, he had found a measure of hope, and with it, resolve to stand at her side through what was to come. He could feel a profound strength deep within her, for when the time came. Until then, his mission would be to ready her in every way possible.

At last, they left the crowds and the noise behind, ascending the steps to the palace in quiet. “Be at ease,” he told her as they approached the grand gates. “We will find friends here.”

She smiled at him in answer, nodding deeply, before taking the first step within.

Old Posted 11-30-2012, 10:15 PM