Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Bondslave of the Dragon
Default Chapter 58: Newfound Purpose   #1  

Faust floated above the silver grass, toes brushing the plant life beneath. He'd been here before, under the sickly light of the moon, surrounded by heaven. The vague image of glowing white trees, a mansion perched on a small hill. It seemed all so familiar to the fallen god, familiar and at once impossibly distant.

Faust paused a moment, looked around. There. That tree. It was the tree from his dreams, the one with the girl in white and gold. It seemed to beckon to his floating form, pulling him near. There she sat, legs crossed, her hair pulled up to expose a blurred face. Faust's brows creased as he reached to touch the her, feet finally settling onto the earth below.

Silver grass faded into yellow as Faust's feet touched earth, a dull forest where the fields of Toamna had been a moment ago. Frowning, he drew his hand back -- why had he extended it in the first place? Shaking himself, he now surveyed this new area. The towering trees brought on a strange feeling, like they should hold some dread significance. Walking further into the forest, Faust came across a strange sight. Small flickering lights danced before him. Unease stirred as he drew closer, one hand reaching towards the lights.

Faust snapped from the dream with a gasp. Working hard to control his breathing, he shuddered. They came less often now, but even still, he was left confused and unsettled.

"Faust," a voice whispered by his ear. "Do you remember our days on Quesaria, helping the little ones along to Toanma?" Faust froze, overcome with a sudden realization.

Nox Nocturnalis. The gathering. I must go. Deliver the fallen to my God's new heaven. Toamna dies. They will find new salvation here, the house of my God.

Faust stumbled to his feet, hands reaching for his fallen cloak. An eager smile found him, elation at this holy purpose. Flicking a hand outward, Faust called forth a portal, out of this dead realm, into the living night of Quesaria. There he would begin his hunt, there he would find souls to fill this empty place.

Although sightless, Faust easily navigated his way between the towering trees, some well-traveled forest on the outskirts of an Athiyk city. With sure steps the god made his way towards where he felt the draw of a soul. An old and degraded grave yard, tumbling weeds and overgrowth everywhere, covering old faded tombstones. Faust slipped between two such stones to stand before a fresh grave.

Faust called to the soul gently, willing it free of the earth. Soon, a light began to spill from the grave, forming into the effigy of a little girl, no older than six or seven.

"Who are you?" the little ghost asked Faust.

"I am Faust, and I am here to shepherd you to heaven, dear one." The girl stared for a moment at Faust, seeming to think his words over before simply nodding and extending a hand. With a slight smile, Faust took the proffered hand and watched as she fell away into a ball of light.

Holding the essence carefully with his one hand, Faust raised the other to reveal a small crystal pendant. Where had it come from? A gift from his master? It must have been. The light hovered a moment before slipping into the crystal.

She will be the first of many. Many... I must go, I have little time to gather. I must gather them all, I must bring them to the new heaven.

Reaching out, Faust felt for the next souls draw. With a slight swish of his cloak, he once again entered the thick forest, making haste to the east, where the draw was strongest.

Slipping from shadow to shadow Faust, made haste over the rugged landscape. It was not long before he found the soul.

This one was older, darker than the last. Faust held the crystal aloft, willing it closer...

Something was wrong.

A fell hiss reached Faust's ears as purple mist began to form below him, wrapping his body in thin strands. Annoyed, he pulled at the soul again with his power. It did not respond as intended. Bursting forth, the mist snarled as it ascended up his leg, digging its grasping tendrils into his flesh.

Power flared as Faust growled, pressing his hold into the deranged soul's mind. "You will submit. You have no choice. You will come with me."

With twisted fingers, he released his power fully onto the spirit, consuming its mind and breaking it to heel. It would obey! And it did.

Releasing a breath he shouldn't have been holding, Faust smoothed his now rumpled clothing, and started off for his next soul with a new thought in mind.

If I cannot be gentle, than this will do. They will all come to heaven. I will not leave a single one behind.
Old Posted 11-05-2012, 01:45 AM