Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

nostalgic
Default Insomnia   #1  
Sleeping for 3 hours every 2 to three days gets pretty annoying. Any tips or tricks from anyone that deals with it too?
Old Posted 02-08-2015, 02:38 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
I generally try to take naps after nights where my brain won't shut it. Sometimes I can sleep, sometimes, I can't, but it least I feel a tad bit more rested.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 02-08-2015, 01:54 PM Reply With Quote  
nostalgic
Default   #3  
I try to take naps when the day allows it but for the most part it never comes until I've been up for 2 or 3 days and sleep due to exhaustion. Even then I only sleep for about 4 hours. I've considered meditation though.
Old Posted 02-08-2015, 01:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
See a doctor. :(
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-08-2015, 02:38 PM Reply With Quote  
nostalgic
Default   #5  
I really want that to be a last resort. I understand the benefits of medication but I would prefer keeping it natural. Melatonin helps at times and I've heard of a few other natural remedies that I would prefer before having full on sleep meds prescribed to me.
Old Posted 02-09-2015, 10:22 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I didn't mean medication. Your doctor will know a lot more than just prescription medication, and it's also important that your primary care provider knows about medical issues that are affecting you. You never know when something's going to be relevant!

One thing I WILL say is that you should avoid mentally-stimulating activities and looking at light sources (e.g. computer/phone backlight) half an hour before you want to go to bed. Reading a book is usually okay, listening to music is usually okay. Taking a shower helps some people and makes things worse for others.

Consider valerian tea if you're looking for over-the-counter remedies. ("Sleepytime Extra" is one relevant brand.)

Melatonin works for some people and causes nightmares in others.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-09-2015, 03:13 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Default   #7  
Sometimes exercise (physical exhaustion) can help...though sometimes it doesn't. A good diet also.
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Old Posted 02-09-2015, 04:06 PM Reply With Quote  
nostalgic
I do the usual things like no caffeine after 6 PM, no screens before bed, and they help me calm down. Aside from that they don't exactly help.

I will be seeing a doctor after I get my paycheck from my new job but until then I'll definitely check into that tea.
Old Posted 02-09-2015, 04:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #9  
I had Sleepytime Extra back when my dep meds were really messing with my sleep. it helped a lot. Also anything with peppermint and/or chamomile helps quite a bit.

I seem to fall asleep a lot quicker if I'm sitting (or slumped over one thing or another) rather than lying in bed, so maybe mess around with that too. Just make sure you don't screw over your back.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 02-09-2015, 05:45 PM Reply With Quote  
nostalgic
I'll try that. I'm actually seeing my doctor for a full check up. So hopefully after that they can figure out any chemical imbalances I may have and we can go from there. My mom recommended the place because they try to stay as natural as possible before any medication gets involved.
Old Posted 02-09-2015, 06:04 PM Reply With Quote  
Gastromage First Class
Default   #11  
I don't have any advice for you, but I wanted to share my sympathies. I've been struggling with chronic insomnia since birth, and after almost 30 years I still haven't found anything that really helps.

Try to exhaust yourself physically, but also be as calm as possible in the time running up to bedtime. Herbal teas can help, as can a hot bath.

I really hope you find a way through this! xx

The Trisphite formerly known as Apagracia
Old Posted 02-11-2015, 02:47 AM Reply With Quote  
nostalgic
Thank you. I've been able to somewhat handle it by going to some of my friends places. I'm more relaxed there and it seems to make a big difference.
Old Posted 02-11-2015, 05:57 AM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
Default   #13  
Lavender and brewing hops in a old sock or something hat won't spill. Warm them up and stick it under the pillow. Brewing hops when heated give off a non toxic chemical that will make any one drowsy. It's a knowen thing in the brewing industry of today so they leave big wide open spaces so it's not as effective. The lavender as it's calming and soothing to t senses as well with the added heat it should be a comfort thing in the long cold dark months of the year. In summer you can try a drop of lavender oil onto your pillow.
Old Posted 02-17-2015, 05:14 PM Reply With Quote  

Tags
insomnia, sleep