Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Blue Fish
Default eReaders   #1  
The Nook, Kindle, other off-brand ones, etc.

Do you have one?
Do you want one if you don't?
If you do have one, do you like it?
Any complaints if you have one?

I got a pandigital one, and it's cool and all, but it's laggy, and the battery isn't all that amazing. Sooooo, I traded it for a nook. I really love the thing, honestly. It's simple to use, and I do enjoy the eInk screen that it has as well, along with the little touch screen at the bottom. I find it really useful and great for reading large books without having to carry them around. Hell, I can get notes and such on it as well. >3<

'Tis a picture of Tokyo I took. ^^
I'm a girl.
I love Writing Tools, and KPop, and minty stuffs.
Old Posted 11-26-2010, 04:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Cute lil Fox Goddess
I want one.. it'd be so nice to beable to read and stuff.. but the one I want doesn't have a blacklight.. ;-;

~The cute little Fox Goddess~

Quote:
Inari also appears in the form of a snake or dragon, and one folktale has Inari appear to a wicked man in the shape of a monstrous spider as a way of teaching him a lesson.
Old Posted 11-26-2010, 09:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
Default   #3  
you can get a cheap eReader book light at target for I think it was like seven bucks. >3< It's not much of a big deal, really.

I'm a girl.
Old Posted 11-27-2010, 01:57 AM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
They seem to be all the rage, I think that I'll wait a little longer till they make a few more changes before I get one though. They just came out with the Color Nook, so I'm wondering when I'll get the chance to test one out. I wonder what features will become available over time though.
Old Posted 11-30-2010, 05:33 PM Reply With Quote  
writing machine in bad repair
Default   #5  
I'll probably be against e-readers for as long as people keep saying things like "They're going to wipe out the book industry" and "pretty soon they're going to shut down libraries."

So, as convenient as I think it would be, I'm really against people getting them because, with each e-reader sold, it makes morons think books are that much more obsolete.

Old Posted 12-01-2010, 10:01 AM Reply With Quote  
Crowned Morning Sun
I'd love to have an e-reader, however, I like a good old-fashioned book, too. Many of my favorite books I have and I like the looks of them lined up on a shelf, pretty colors and spines with individual lettering shown to the world. I love to hold them, too... In fact, even though I had the book "Peter Pan" on my computer, I deliberately bought the book in paper and ink because there is something magical about holding something like that in your hands. I've been reading since I was four years old... books are good friends of mine. The e-readers are just a different format for something I love so much. And some of them are even the weight of a traditional hardback anyway!
I am a female. Therefore please use 'she'.

Go Aggies!
Old Posted 12-01-2010, 02:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Haunted AND the thing that haunts you!
Default   #7  
I really wish these things would vanish from existence. Technology just has to take over EVERYTHING!? First it was CDs killing records and MP3 players killing CDs, and then DVDs killing videos. Now this! I do not want books to die, I LOVE books and it's healthier. Screens can be irritating to the eyes. Yes it's easier than hauling around books in certain situations such as trips but that's the only good thing I can see coming from them.

I will never buy one of these things. I want them to DIE!
Old Posted 01-24-2011, 03:37 AM Reply With Quote  
Crowned Morning Sun
Isn't that a bit... I dunno... harsh, Red? I just got one for Christmas. I value the word both on the screen and on the paper. I have bought books after I've bought my e-reader. But think. If you buy every single book that is currently for free on an e-reader, you will spend thousands, if not millions, of dollars. I have so many classics I can sink my teeth into, now, that I couldn't have before due to the fact I didn't have the money for it.

As for screens being hard on the eyes, my Nook Color can reverse the color of the background so that it is white text on black. That is so easy on your eyes. Not to mention, I dimmed the brightness. I can read in a pitch black room and my eyes wouldn't hurt one bit.

Go Aggies!
Old Posted 01-25-2011, 02:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
Default   #9  
Not to mention most ereaders that aren't on LCD screens (pandigital and nook colour) are on a screen that's... pretty much digital paper. Same colours and everything. No harder on the eyes than a regular book, and you still need a booklight for it. Being hard on the eyes is nothing.

Also, books needing to be lugged around/whatever, taking up space or anything can be a huge reason people don't buy them. Not to mention the pure COST. But the eReaders do make it a lot more available. Hell you can get books from the library (granted fairly limited) without even having to leave the house. It opens up reading to people who would never normally bother.

I'm a girl.
Old Posted 01-28-2011, 02:34 PM Reply With Quote  
Derp
I wish I had a Kindle.
I use the app on my Mac though. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy books that way and they have a few free ones.
Old Posted 01-28-2011, 03:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
Default   #11  
booo kindle. XD <3 My nook

I'm a girl.
Old Posted 01-28-2011, 03:57 PM Reply With Quote  
writing machine in bad repair
Used book stores.

There is no "they're cheaper this way" when used book stores exist. I can buy paperback books at my local used bookstore, and 90% of the time they are under $5. This is opposed to the $10 or $20 for a digital copy of the same book, regardless of its age or popularity.

And while I don't mind CDs replacing records and DVDs replacing VHS, when things that do not exist in the physical world replace things that do, I have to take issue. The books you buy or the movies you buy or the albums you buy in e-form do not exist. You're paying for nothing. If the server that hosts them goes down, or the product that plays/displays them ceases to work, what you have is gone. I just don't buy things that I can't physically hold, touch, see. Rent them? Sure. Buy them? It'd be like buying air to me: pointless and ridiculous.

Now, I do recognize that Nooks and Kindles are convenient, but I would only get one if publishers started packaging digital copies of books with real copies of books, so you get the ability to carry your entire collection on the e-Reader and you get the actual, physical book that makes buying it, well, not pointless.

Old Posted 02-01-2011, 10:12 AM Reply With Quote  
Haunted AND the thing that haunts you!
Default   #13  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
Isn't that a bit... I dunno... harsh, Red? I just got one for Christmas. I value the word both on the screen and on the paper. I have bought books after I've bought my e-reader. But think. If you buy every single book that is currently for free on an e-reader, you will spend thousands, if not millions, of dollars. I have so many classics I can sink my teeth into, now, that I couldn't have before due to the fact I didn't have the money for it.

As for screens being hard on the eyes, my Nook Color can reverse the color of the background so that it is white text on black. That is so easy on your eyes. Not to mention, I dimmed the brightness. I can read in a pitch black room and my eyes wouldn't hurt one bit.
Um an e-reader itself costs like hundreds of dollars as opposed to a paperback novel with no complimentary item needed for under ten dollars. Textbooks for school do cost a fortune yes but I am pretty sure the e-reader matches very closely with the $140 I paid for the two math books(EACH) for math classes the past few years(and got $15 back for, $15! damn school system). Last semester however and this my books were surprisingly cheaper for used copies of one text book. This semester my Japanese II text book was an astonishing $17.21 as opposed to those $140 math books(although they were new, one of which I had to wait on a new shipment for).

Sure an e-book itself may cost like a buck, but hello, you need the hundred whatever dollar device to read it on! So I don't understand the comparison and how people can say e-books are cheaper. You don't need a fortune to read a book on something. It's just a book.

The thought of sitting somewhere with a screen on a rectangle with you reading just seems to me, well it just doesn't look good. Don't get me wrong, I have read stuff off a screen before, and it doesn't bother me greatly but I don't want it be the ONLY means of reading someday. Sorry it's not appealing to me.

It's just sad to me that no one can just enjoy things in simple forms anymore. Technology is taking over everything.
~ Red Rum She Said
Old Posted 02-01-2011, 09:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Crowned Morning Sun
Ultimately, though, Rum, twenty-five ten dollar books equals the price of a single e-reader. Spend enough money to obtain 100 books in paperback totaling each at 10 dollars on an e-reader and downloads, depending on how you do it (like I did) I have (as I said) thousands of books for the same cost.

I understand some books are better as actual paper and ink. You don't have to explain that one to me at all. You can do things with an actual book that you can't do with an e-reader. I do recognize that. And sometimes it's more satisfying to turn the page than flick a finger.

I'm very old school. I've been reading since I was four (granted, not the big or intense books that I read now) and my favorite thing is a book. An e-reader will not completely eliminate books from the world, but you can get some books for free instead of paying five dollars or so for that Dracula novel you'd had your eyes on. Or that Little Women book. Peter Pan? Free on an e-reader if you know where to go.

There are advantages and disadvantages. If you only look at the disadvantages, you're missing out on a lot of the interesting things.

Go Aggies!
Old Posted 02-03-2011, 02:32 PM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
Default   #15  
I don't cause it's cheaper to get the book from the library or in a bookstore than to buy one for the kindle

OBBIE'S twin sister
My Baby:Link Super secret Mission:Link
Old Posted 02-03-2011, 03:28 PM Reply With Quote  
One Fish
      • well i have a nook color
        and i love it <3

though i had to exchange the first one i got
        because it wouldn't connect to the internet
        just out of the blue, it was really
        weird but my new one works just fine <3
Old Posted 02-04-2011, 05:51 PM Reply With Quote