Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Developer
Default   #17  
Where did you get that statistic? That... doesn't seem right at all. Six changes of declared major in the span of four years is the AVERAGE? That means that, on average, every student that doesn't change majors at all (*raises hand*) is opposed by someone who manages to change their declared major more than once a semester.

Going through six possible ideas for a major over the span of one's entire schooling career -- that is, from the time someone starts thinking about college at all in middle school or high school through to actually getting a degree -- is believable. But at that point most of those changes don't actually count for anything.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 01-12-2017, 10:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
Well, my teacher is a liar .__. . awkward moment. *facepalm*

why do i do this....i mustve heard or remembered wrong
Ruff..
Last edited by Bassy; 01-13-2017 at 02:35 AM.
Old Posted 01-13-2017, 02:32 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #19  
I imagine the true average for changing declared majors -- if you consider "undeclared" to be a declaration -- is probably somewhere between 1 and 2.

It's quite common for students to go through the first year or two and then discover that they don't enjoy the work of their original declared major once they get past the fun introductory stuff, so they switch to a major that feels better to them. It's also quite common for students to not pick a major while they work on their gen-ed requirements because they're not sure what they want to do, or to pick a major going into college because they felt pressured to pick something right away and then switch declarations once or twice while filling in gen-eds.

There are a few wafflers that change several times during their first 2-3 years because they can't decide what feels good, and there are a few people like me that just go through their whole degree program knowing exactly what they want up front.

So it probably balances out to, as I said, between 1 and 2.

BUT, on the other hand, it IS quite common to bounce between different aspirations BEFORE you formalize a declaration while you try to figure out what it is you like, so you shouldn't feel bad for not settling down right away.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 01-13-2017, 02:38 AM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
I swear my teacher said 6. She must've been crazy or something but I swear that's what she said... When I first changed my major, I thought that I would be changing my major a lot because I had no idea what I wanted to be.
Ruff..
Old Posted 01-13-2017, 02:44 AM Reply With Quote  
Addicted to Trisphee
Default   #21  
I'm taking up a Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering. I can say that everything in our college life is a love-hate relationship.

In your case, finding a major, just pick out what you feels "right" the most and everything else will follow. What's important is where you find yourself in, five or so years from now.
Can anyone help me get a good signature?
Old Posted 01-19-2017, 10:43 AM Reply With Quote