Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

We're all mad here.
Default   #49  
Saying what I actually meant to say, you don't need to commit to anything, really, just try it out. For example, if you want to see about being a children's librarian, see if your local library has any children's activities that you could volunteer for. That's what I did at my local library when I was looking into volunteer work. A youth educator, I am not, but I can handle low-level 'minding' for brief periods of time.
Old Posted 12-17-2016, 01:02 AM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Just today I got interviewed for being a "Homework Helper" at a nearby library and I have another interview for the same thing and/or an arts/craft helper tomorrow :D. (I had applied due to needing volunteering hours to graduate though).

Later I'll be figuring out what library to go to based on my school schedule. I've never worked with kids before so I'm a little excited to try it out.

Old Posted 12-17-2016, 01:45 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #51  
That sounds great!

If you do find something you like to do, and don't have any formal education in it, some places will actually help out if you show the interest. It's generally assumed that you will stay as an employee though, to be worth their effort. That's how my sister is getting through her accounting degree.
Old Posted 12-17-2016, 02:11 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
My own job has actually been pushing me to see if there's any education I need to pursue (and they'll pay for it), but it turns out... no, there really isn't; when it comes to my job duties, there really isn't anything left that classes could teach me. >.> I'm at the point of mastery where I have to learn by doing, and education is only valuable for training on specific tools rather than general skills. And the tools I'm working with are essentially the same tools I've been using for the past twenty years, just evolved and fleshed out and built up, and I've been keeping up with them just from day-to-day work.

It's a really weird thought here, after so many years of education, that I'm actually a master and going beyond where I am now requires reaching out instead of reaching up.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-17-2016, 11:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Default   #53  
Hey Tiro. If you don't know what to go for, try something like a General Arts and Sciences. It gives you a chance to get in there and try out several different things at once, then you can streamline things later based on what you like.

I decided to do a "victory lap" (Extra year of highschool) then took a year off.... which has subsequently lead to me working at my local grocery store for the last 3.5 years... I haven't a clue what to go for yet, either...

If you're not sure, take some time off in between. Earn some money. Travel. Meet new people. Maybe a journey will help you decide what you want to do.
Old Posted 12-23-2016, 09:23 AM Reply With Quote  
Dazed
I went to college for three years and all it brought me was severe depression, stress, and a whole load of debt. And I didn't even get a degree at the end of that horrible tunnel.
SO I'm pretty anti-college personally, but that doesn't mean that I'd just go around telling everyone that they shouldn't go. The best thing you can do is evaluate it from your own point of view before deciding.
Do you know what you want to study? Do you have the financial means to study it? Can you handle large loads of stress at once?
If the answer to any of those questions is No than my best suggestion would be to just take a year off and figure things out.
Because I don't have a college degree and I have managed to become a pretty successful business owner and I wish I had taken the time to evaluate if college was really worth it before I just kinda jumped right in and screwed myself over...
My typos have tyoos at this point.

I am a MAN.

∠( ᐛ 」∠)_
Old Posted 12-26-2016, 05:13 AM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Default   #55  
Thanks Kita and thanks Debauchery for your responses!

Financially, I learned a while ago that I wouldn't be in debt--because apparently my parents very much want me to go to college and so my father had decided to pay for it.

Stress-wise, I already handle horrible amounts of stress, though I have no idea what college would be like.

What to learn in college, I'm still very uncertain. Seizing on one thing is still difficult, but that might be delving into other issues I have.

Old Posted 12-26-2016, 06:03 AM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Like I suggested, Tiro, why not try one of those basic courses, like a general arts and sciences, or something?

Or maybe a trades school if you like that kind of stuff?
Old Posted 12-26-2016, 12:28 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #57  
College is not a bad thing in here in ny coubtry if you didnt finish college ylu will be part of the unemployed because most of the jobs here in the philippines recquires college grad or at least have takrn 2yesrs in college
Old Posted 01-02-2017, 03:23 AM Reply With Quote