Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Default Routers and DSL   #1  
I've been having an issue ever since I moved. I now have DSL for my internet, and in general it's fine, but I have periods of "dead time" for up to a minute, and it happens often, sometimes as often as 20 minutes between them. I tried connecting my computer directly to the modem and as of yet I haven't had the problem, but I kind of need the router since there's two computers and game systems in the house.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might cause such a thing to happen? I have had both an IP set by the router, as well as a static one, though both computer lose connectivity at the same time so I doubt it has to do with IP. I also have two ports forwarded on the router but again...I can't imagine how that would affect something.

I've had the same router for a long time but it only started doing this after I moved. I had cable internet before, though I'm not sure that has anything to do with the problem.

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 09-05-2011, 12:11 AM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Well, maybe now is the time your router decided to give out?

Is this a wireless router? Or not? If wireless, unplug to reset. Wait awhile and plug it in again. It might or might not help.

Also, make sure you have a good wire going from your modem to the router (and the router to any devices). If it is an ancient wire...that could be part of the problem.

Also, you might want to try having just one thing hooked up directly to the modem. If it still happens, it is either the modem or your internet provider I think.
Old Posted 09-05-2011, 12:40 AM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Default   #3  
Currently I have my computer directly connected to the modem, and no issues. And the cable connecting the modem to the router was brand new with the modem...so it better not be giving me trouble :p

It's a wireless router but I'm always plugged in directly as I don't have a wireless card on my computer. It could have gone out...as I did just move, but all the lights seem fine and nothing appears out of the ordinary when it goes out.

I checked to make sure and the modem still lists a lease time of 1 day. I had an issue before where the lease time was set too low and I'd always d/c about the same time when it refreshed that :p

Serra's Art Gallery

Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 09-05-2011, 12:52 AM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Are you plugged in to the wireless router directly? Or the modem?

I'm only asking that because...if it is the first one....having a lot of electronics in one area can interfer with signal. That's why on the nintendo website...it suggests if you have wireless and the wii won't pick it up...to move any other game systems away from it. Also.....do you have it as high up as you can towards the ceiling? The higher it is, the longer the range and the better the signal for longer.

-is just giving any suggestions that may or may not help-
Old Posted 09-05-2011, 12:55 AM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Default   #5  
Right now I'm plugged into the modem directly. And am not having any problems. Before I was plugged into the router directly, but when I lost connectivity so did the other computer which connects wirelessly. I do understand the wireless and stuff, but that part doesn't apply currently because I'm still getting the problem even with it directly connected.

Thanks for the suggestions though :3

Serra's Art Gallery

Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 09-05-2011, 01:09 AM Reply With Quote