Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

We're all mad here.
Default   #49  
Felix looks puzzled for a moment. "If you want to bring the horse for certain...if the animal is amenable I suppose I could." Felix has never ridden a horse before, though provided he doesn't have to do much more than stay on, it might not be too much of a problem.
Old Posted 11-02-2017, 03:43 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen

Ulysses leads Felix outside as Marl discusses the plan with the others. He snaps his fingers as he clears the doorway.

"Sic. Rise."

And like a damned revenant, the beast does, from its indolent position rolling uncannily into full upright posture.

"This is Felix," he says to his companion. And with a glance back at the man, "He can understand simple speech."

Ulysses comes to stand before Sicarius, meeting the warhorse's strange blue eyes. "We've bloody business to attend tonight, and he's to be our watchman. I want you to protect him."

There is no affectionate pat, no affirmation of devoted friendship. They both know the premise of this relationship, and there is a grim sort of respect between soldier and steed.
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 11-02-2017, 03:49 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #51  
Charisma: 1d20+4 = 18

"I...see," Felix responds to Ulysses' comment, taking in the large and malevolent seeming animal. He walks towards Sicarius but does not move to touch him. "Fascinating."

"I have not ridden apart from simple travel. Will that be a problem?" It is not clear if Felix is addressing Ulysses or Sicarius.
Old Posted 11-02-2017, 03:54 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Sicarius: Will: 1d20 + 2 = 15

I See Thee, Thou Furtive Child, And The Strangers In Thy Wake. They Whisper, Doth They Not? They Suggest. Tempt And Tantalize The Wondering Mind. And Who Art Thou To Refuseth? What Art Thou? These Are Questions I Shall Know.

I Acquiesce.

between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 11-02-2017, 04:08 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #53  
Felix stops all movement suddenly.

That was...louder than...usual?
...I wouldn't call that simple speech.

"Sicarius...how did you come by the name?" Again, it isn't certain who Felix is addressing, but he looks slightly over his shoulder at Ulysses.
Old Posted 11-02-2017, 04:24 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
"He's killed more men than me, which is an accomplishment," Ulysses says with a tone of unsettling indifference. "But you should be safe. He reasonable, for a horse."

He Hath Named Me 'Murderer', In Commiseration Of Our Mutual Crimes. Yet Mere Death Be But The Means To Far Greater Ends. I Am The Harrowing Stormtide, The Engine Of All Havocs, The Summer-Throned Emperor Of Ruin.

Or A Delusion In Thine Infected Mind. Seizeth My Reins And We Shall Determine What Is Truth Together.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 11-02-2017, 04:36 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #55  
Felix should perhaps feel more unsettled than he is. Whether the voice is the horse or something else, the budding warlock is thoroughly intrigued now. He smiles, a little.

"I think I'm looking forward to working with Sicarius."
Old Posted 11-02-2017, 04:44 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen

By the time they get settled on the plan and on the move to carry it out, the sun has set and a new moon's night has fallen, casting the familiar avenues of the village in an eerie darkness. It is still and quiet as they make their way north to the smithy, with no sign of either patrolling guards or other townsfolk who might sound the alarm.

It is not a long walk to Harper's home, and they arrive in good time, gathering around his gated yard while Felix takes Sicarius a ways away to keep watch.

"I'll take a look inside really quick, wait here," Horace whispers to the others, stepping lightly up to the house.

Horace:

Move Silently: 1d20 + 8 = 9 (Critical Failure)
Hide: 1d20 + 8 = 11

Harper:

Listen: 1d20 + 2 = 10
Spot: 1d20 + 2 = 13

Scampering off with practiced ease, Horace goes to vault the gate, only for the toe of his boot to catch catastrophically on the lip of the fence as he clears it, sending him crashing to the earth with a yelp. He immediately bites his lip and rolls right under the house's window, hoping Harper won't notice.

He notices.

"WHAT'RE'YE ABOUT?!" Even muffled by the stone and glass between them, the fury in the smith's voice is palpable. Within seconds, he emerges from the doorway with a two-handed mace in hand, restrained from a murderous charge only by the number of assailants occupying his yard.

He clutches the weapon in a posture of imminent violence, but does not make any move yet.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 11-03-2017, 05:14 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Default   #57  
Tanya: Bluff 1d20 + 1 = 3

Without even a second of thought, or so much as looking at the rest of the group to see if anyone else had any idea of what to do, Tanya cupped her hands around her mouth and shouted, "Harper! There's a horse on the loose! You seen it!?"

Old Posted 11-03-2017, 05:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
"God damn it, boy, are you serious!?" Marl's castigation can barely clear the air before Harper flings the door open, menace smoldering in his eyes.

Rushing to the edge of the fence, hands up and pleading, "Harper, wait, it's Marl. Calm down!"

Marl: Bluff 1d20 + 7 = 17
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 11-03-2017, 05:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #59  
Harper: Sense Motive 1d20 +4 = 20

"I don't know what ye're about, but, the words are snarled through clenched teeth, his eyes darting between each of them. "But if y'don't clear off my property right now, I'll brain this little bastard right here. Leave!" He brandishes the mace at them, indicating Horace with a jerk of his head.

Harper: Intimidate 1d20 + 3 = 10
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 11-03-2017, 05:31 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Tanya: Sense Motive 1d20 + 2 = 7

"Aw fuck, Marl was right about him!"

Old Posted 11-03-2017, 05:35 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #61  

Marl: Sense Motive 1d20 +8 = 16
Ulysses: Sense Motive 1d20 +1 = 9
Horace: Sense Motive 1d20 +5 = 24

"This was a terrible idea. Harper! Let's say we all leave, and forget this happened." Ulysses is fully convinced the smith will kill Horace with the first excuse he gets.

But from his prone position, Horace interjects, "He kills me, he's dead the next second! Tell him, Lady M.!"

Normally, caution would override heroics on her part, but they're already deep in the mire here, and they need those weapons. Marl draws her saber and steps through the gate. "You touch that boy, I'll slit your goddamned throat, Harper. And aye, this is what it's come to. Don't think I won't."

Marl: Intimidate: 1d20 +7 = 25
Harper: Sense Motive: 1d20 +4 = 20

The smith's glare strives to destroy Marl through mere hateful expression, but after a second, he relents with a growl, lowering his weapon.

"Just what the devil do ye want? Here to rob me?"
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 11-03-2017, 05:44 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Listen = 18
Spot = 6

Felix face-palms at the orchestra of ineptitude going on behind him, but despite not paying visual attention at that moment, there is no mistaking the loud, drunken singing of the wannabee fop coming from up the road. Oh, perfect.
Old Posted 11-03-2017, 06:10 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Lightbulb   #63  
Sicarius: Listen 1d20 + 2 = 10 vs. DC 6
Sicarius Spot 1d20 + 2 = 10 vs. DC 10

Delver. Aspirant. Hearken. A Soul Approacheth. The Scion Of Yon Artificer, If Common Scent Be Of Aught Significance. Thou Wert Charged To Warneth Of Intrusion, Pray Do So. This Flesh Lacketh The Artifice For Baser Speech.

Horace tentatively rises to his feet, keeping a frightful eye on Harper's mace. For all his bravado in the face of imminent death, he does not cherish the thought of being beaten to death.

The smith makes no move to assail him, however.

"It ain't robbery if you agree to help us, Harp." Marl still holds her saber, either not trusting the smith to remain docile, or to ensure that he does. "You know as well as any this has gone far enough. They've got to go."

"What are ye? Five? An old woman, this blundering dunce, and a couple young folk that might account for a guard or two between them. I'm not for hanging when they find out I armed ye. Y'want steel, ye'll not have it with Harper's blessing." The smith sighs bitterly. "But I can't rightly fight ye off, either. 'specially not that big bastard y'got there. That yer boy, Marl?"

His question goes ignored. "If you're trying to stall 'til help shows up, it ain't happening. Open the forge, Harp. Get this over with. Once we're done with Casper, I'll even pay you back."
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 11-04-2017, 04:26 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
"Hell, I'll give anything I take off that rotten lump of a man," Tanya chimed in, a nasty grin on her face as she toyed with a loose curl of hair by her ear. She, apparently, had already gotten over her fear of the man mere moments before. That, or she was doing a better job of hiding it than she'd done of lying. "That'd be grand, wouldn't it?"

Old Posted 11-06-2017, 01:59 AM Reply With Quote