Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Dragon Storm
Default Motives for fighting in RPG's   #1  
So, yeah, one problem I have in writing is finding ways to justify characters fighting or even killing their perceived "bad guy."
I mean, I know the benefit in games - relieve stress and anger from modern life.

That is different from the conflict and internal pain needed to want to hurt someone. Hell, there are neurological constructs meant to add personal pain - guilt - when you hurt someone.

But on the other hand, when one gets bored, I've seen people tend towards cruelty in both real life and fiction with animals, bullying, and NPC's.

So, how is it rationalized in things like D&D or Skyrim?
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Last edited by Lawtan; 04-08-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old Posted 04-08-2016, 12:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Most RPGs rationalize it by setting the conflict in a place where violence is justified.

Self-defense and war are the two most common justifications -- either the enemies are violent invaders themselves, or the enemies are in the way of you bringing an end to the war. The enemies being uncontrollable/wild/insane/etc. is another common justification.

In almost all cases, the part that sets the heroes apart from the enemy is that the enemy is the one initiating hostilities and the first to display lethal force and intent. When the enemy hasn't initiated active hostilities, the enemy is still causing ruinous harm to the heroes and/or the world, and the heroes have no choice but to take action.

When these justifications AREN'T in place, it's usually to MAKE you feel like something's not right about the characters' motivations.

Sometimes it IS completely unjustified, but in those games there's generally not much of a plot at all -- a flimsy framing mechanism to give the action an excuse to happen, if anything.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 04-08-2016, 02:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #3  
You bring up Skyrim in particular. The main plot falls into the "enemy is causing ruinous harm to the world, the hero is the only one who can stop it" justification, and it's fairly rare that the Dragonborn is initiating hostilities instead of defending themself from aggressive or mindless foes.

Side plots deviate greatly from this, but since the game is intentionally giving you options to make moral choices, that's intentional.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 04-08-2016, 02:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Okay I'm gonna read through this later when I have time but, you (specifically you, Law) need to play Undertale if you haven't already.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 04-10-2016, 12:27 AM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #5  
Well, in Dragon Age, it's either people are doing bad things and you're stopping them...or something is ruining the world in general....dark spawn and the taint and the blight that comes along with it....demons and stuff from the fade causing chaos...parent trusting a blood mage to teach their child instead of sending him to the circle and so he gets possessed by a demon....the qunari causing some chaos...dude putting people together out of parts after killing people that the parts came from. Darkspawn that can be reasoned with, but can still cause the taint and blight but want to change things. Fun stuff like that.

Remember, killing doesn't have to be justified...not everyone kills for a reason.
Old Posted 04-10-2016, 01:30 AM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espy View Post
Okay I'm gonna read through this later when I have time but, you (specifically you, Law) need to play Undertale if you haven't already.
Much like Game of Thrones, I've been avoiding Undertale because I think it may be too close to what I am working on... <.<

That said, Coda's statements & bringing up the concept of Undertale gives me an idea of how to work things. An idea that also makes what I am working on easier to flesh out (though harder when I get into the code). Thank you. :)
__

__

Last edited by Lawtan; 04-10-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old Posted 04-10-2016, 05:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Default   #7  
Undertale is basically taking all the standard video game RPG concepts, and tearing them apart. In a good way.
Old Posted 04-13-2016, 08:36 PM Reply With Quote  
a gender ghost.
in skyrim and lots of other video games, enemies act without rationality. They will attack you and refuse to surrender no matter how badly they are doing in the fight. It becomes kill or be killed, literally.
♥ Lovely Teahouse ♥

tumblr | twitter
Old Posted 04-26-2016, 01:22 AM Reply With Quote  
Problem to the Solution
Default   #9  
All games center around a story. And all stories have a conflict and a resolution to that conflict. Sometimes the easiest conflict to tell is actual conflict. And at the end of the day, it's an excuse to punch someone and get invested in the combat mechanics. Without that, it becomes some indie game that tries to 'tell a story' and vanishes to the bargain pages of Steam because people want actual game play.

Also, people who torture NPC's for no reason are mentally unstable, and left unchecked can go on to do much worse and become staff on forum websites.
Old Posted 04-26-2016, 02:52 AM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salone View Post
Also, people who torture NPC's for no reason are mentally unstable, and left unchecked can go on to do much worse and become staff on forum websites.
Anyone in particular that you're thinking of, Salone?
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 04-26-2016, 03:05 AM Reply With Quote  
a gender ghost.
Default   #11  
I like games like Dishonored that let you not kill the baddies.
♥ Lovely Teahouse ♥

tumblr | twitter
Old Posted 04-26-2016, 03:39 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I don't think anyone does it "for no reason." People don't work that way. There's always some reason why they do things.

Some people might enjoy playing the villain (a recent-ish study showed that a large number of second playthroughs of games with moral systems play the evil route). At that point, it's not for no reason; it's because that's what the character would do. And that doesn't directly imply mental illness, because actors play sadistic villains all the time and can even enjoy doing so. Yes, someone might choose to play the villain that way BECAUSE of a mental illness, but it's not a prerequisite.

Old Posted 04-26-2016, 01:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Problem to the Solution
Default   #13  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Anyone in particular that you're thinking of, Salone?
Me. When I play Skyrim as a bad guy I like to leave various vegetables on bodies. Or spend a very long time organizing flesh piles. If you're going to be a villain, presentation is everything.

Keep in mind I haven't made a serious post on Trisphee since like 2011.
Old Posted 04-26-2016, 03:33 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
>.> Having a reason that justifies cruelty is closer to being mentally unsound, I think. Such reasoning is often illogical. Though, as in the debate of assisted euthanasia, there are likely exceptions.
__

__

Old Posted 04-27-2016, 04:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #15  
Counterpoint: Having a venue to act upon negative ideas that doesn't have an impact on the real world is a healthy thing. It's valuable for emotional growth to be able to make a distinction between fantasy and reality and to explore scenarios and mindsets outside of the milieu of day-to-day life. It's actually UNhealthy to insist that fantasy worlds should be held to the same standards as reality, because that removes a point of distinction between the two environments.

Certainly there's a developmental risk in exposing children to violent imagery without moral feedback. There's a reason that such games are rated T or M -- it's not just some socially acceptable threshold of "it doesn't make us feel weird for a person this age to see these things anymore" but an actual thing that has measurable effects on emotional and social development.

But in an adult -- someone who has passed these formative years of development -- who has a healthy grasp on the difference between the real and the fictitious, there is no observed causation suggesting that performing "evil" acts in a fictitious context translates into performing "evil" acts in reality. There IS a correlation going the OTHER direction -- people who are emotionally troubled or naturally violent are more likely to gravitate towards these fantasy worlds. But being cruel in a game is ultimately no worse than playing a cruel villain in a movie, and we don't deal with actors going on rampages.

Old Posted 04-27-2016, 07:26 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
Counterpoint: Having a venue to act upon negative ideas that doesn't have an impact on the real world is a healthy thing. It's valuable for emotional growth to be able to make a distinction between fantasy and reality and to explore scenarios and mindsets outside of the milieu of day-to-day life. It's actually UNhealthy to insist that fantasy worlds should be held to the same standards as reality, because that removes a point of distinction between the two environments.

Certainly there's a developmental risk in exposing children to violent imagery without moral feedback. There's a reason that such games are rated T or M -- it's not just some socially acceptable threshold of "it doesn't make us feel weird for a person this age to see these things anymore" but an actual thing that has measurable effects on emotional and social development.

But in an adult -- someone who has passed these formative years of development -- who has a healthy grasp on the difference between the real and the fictitious, there is no observed causation suggesting that performing "evil" acts in a fictitious context translates into performing "evil" acts in reality. There IS a correlation going the OTHER direction -- people who are emotionally troubled or naturally violent are more likely to gravitate towards these fantasy worlds. But being cruel in a game is ultimately no worse than playing a cruel villain in a movie, and we don't deal with actors going on rampages.
There was a study done a few years back where they had participants play violent video games... They found that it actually made the participants more empathic, and better people overall.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 04-27-2016, 08:53 PM Reply With Quote