Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

A*DIC*TED
Default   #33  
worth the upgrade for someone who owns a Wii (possibly going to sell it towards a WiiU) and a ps3?

I'm very weary of buying consoles around launch.
Old Posted 11-20-2012, 05:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
The biggest hitch the WiiU has had so far is that the update servers are overloaded so the initial update takes FOREVER. Secondarily, a few of the media apps aren't up and running yet, but those are quickly coming in -- Hulu came up a few hours ago, for example, although Nintendo TVii won't be until next month. Beyond that, the only real reason to keep a Wii is if you have Gamecube games you want to play.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-20-2012, 11:38 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #35  
You're selling it pretty well for me. I haven't got any gamecube games lying around any more, so that reason is gone. We have two Wiis in our flat, and we're considering replacing both with one WiiU
Old Posted 11-21-2012, 03:37 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
There's only one catch: You can transfer your savegames and WiiWare / Virtual Console games to the WiiU, but you still have to have the Wii to do it.

Unless maybe you can link the Wii to your Nintendo Network account before you trade it in... that's something I haven't checked...

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-21-2012, 01:10 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #37  
I do have the money to buy one without selling the Wiis, so it should be no issue selling them after.

It's not at all possible to save your data to SD and move it over that way?
Old Posted 11-21-2012, 01:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Good luck Coda! I'm still enjoying my wii and playing lotsa games on it. No desire to get a wii U yet
Old Posted 11-21-2012, 01:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #39  
You can do that with the save games to SOME titles, but a lot of games don't let you move your save data to SD. You can't do it at all with WiiWare/VC apps, because they're encrypted to your Wii's serial number -- the transfer process basically tells the eShop "this serial number has permission to redownload these apps, and this other serial number no longer has permission to do so".

Old Posted 11-21-2012, 06:21 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Argh. One of my cats -- no clue which -- chewed through the charger cord for my Wii U GamePad. To make matters worse, it didn't work even after splicing it back together, so I'm guessing during the chewing process it shorted out and blew out a circuit in the adapter block or something.

To make matters EVEN WORSE, first-party replacement cables aren't yet available for sale. At least Nyko makes one. x.x

Old Posted 11-24-2012, 03:00 AM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #41  
Oh wow, that really sucks. It also seems a bit of a silly idea not to have first party support for that kind of thing on launch.
Old Posted 11-24-2012, 04:54 AM Reply With Quote  
Thorns and Claws

i have mixed feelings about the system. To me the little extra controller is HUGE i mean it is nearly as big as the system. Plus none of the games are really ones I'd want to play or can't on a system I currently have. Though I admit to my husband buying two from his store (or making me and my mom drive there to buy them) so we can sell them on ebay. >.> I hate doing stuff like that but when retail pays decently we won't have to.

Old Posted 11-24-2012, 09:07 AM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee's Mad Hatter
Default   #43  
I barely use my Wii, I use my xbox and PC more.
Not sure what all the hubbub is over it.
Old Posted 11-24-2012, 06:33 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post
I barely use my Wii, I use my xbox and PC more.
Not sure what all the hubbub is over it.
well this is about the WiiU, which is an entirely different console xD
Old Posted 11-24-2012, 09:25 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #45  
Rose, the controller is big but it feels good in the hands. It's not particularly heavy (it works just fine to hold it in one hand to drive the touchscreen with the other) and the grips are comfortable.

The system design opens up a lot of innovative opportunities -- stuff that's been proven to work on the DS, plus a whole new genre of gameplay -- without interfering with the existing stuff. That's why I find the WiiU to be an exceptionally solid system.

Old Posted 11-24-2012, 09:36 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
i jsut so happen to have £300 left from last months wages.. and that's about the price of a WiiU in the UK.. Oh so very tempting. I sort of want to wait on some more solid exclusive titles though, as most the current games are ones that have been available on other platforms i use for a long time.
Old Posted 11-24-2012, 11:11 PM Reply With Quote  
THIS. IS. SPAR -shot- ... *gurgle*
Default   #47  
I actually saw the tablet at Target in person today and OMG IT IS HUGE. I... do not see that as being fun to hold up for any length of time.
Old Posted 11-24-2012, 11:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
It's really pretty lightweight. It's got a bit of heft to it but it's really not that much worse than the first-gen Xbox controller.

In other news:

A word of advice: Do not buy the Nyko Wii U GamePad ChargeLink cable.

Nyko didn't do their research. It doesn't even fit in the GamePad's charger port. It's a 3DS cable, not a GamePad cable. (The GamePad's connector is wider.)

Old Posted 11-25-2012, 12:35 AM Reply With Quote