Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Pocket Demon Ninja
Default Arrested for a Sarcastic Comment on LoL   #1  
Article

while chatting on Aeria's shout box with others waiting for a certain MMO to be released, the topic had come to be about an 18 year old kid, arrested for a sarcastic comment made over league of legends.

It makes a lot of the MMO population that I was chatting with feel as though we can't fool around, make sarcastic comments, or be silly in any way. This here makes me want to just stick with my guild and party chats and never talk out in the open with others who will take a joke or sarcastic comment the wrong way.

discuss the article, chatting out in general chats, and making jokes others may find offensive and eventually report you to the GMs or worse.. the police!

Edit: reading other articles on this they say that it was on facebook not LoL, and that he isn't from Ohio but Texas =/

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 06-27-2013, 09:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon of Ice
Here's the deal as I see it: he is of age and made a comment that could be taken as a threat (be it terrorist or otherwise) when taken out of context. This is where it takes some actual time and attention to detail to actually check what was surrounding the comment itself and truly examining it.

That being said, while every citizen has the right to free speech, there are limitations to it. If you make such a comment, be prepared to come under scrutiny or flak for it....especially in today's day and age. I'm not saying what he said and the reaction was right or wrong; what I'm saying is that this whole situation could have been avoided given either A) common sense or care in a conversation (some jokes might offend others or come off wrong....just be careful what you say sometimes), or B) if the police and the individual in question had looked at the original context of the conversation and instead of arresting the individual, took them in for questioning at first along with the other person involved.
I'm only a man with a candle to guide me
I'm taking a stand to escape what's inside me
A monster, a monster

Den of Two Dragons

The Bunker

Feel free to stop by and post!

I've turned into a monster
A monster, a monster
And it keeps getting stronger
Old Posted 06-27-2013, 11:11 PM Reply With Quote  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Default   #3  
To be honest, I don't think it is ever okay to make any comment about that kind of violence, joking or not. The woman was right to report him and the kid deserved to be arrested, to show him that it's not okay to say things like that.

It's similar to the way that therapists are legally obligated to report certain things that their clients say, even though most are taken in complete confidentiality. If there is even the slightest mention or hint of suicide or violence towards others in the person's life, they must be reported to the police. Same goes for this kid. He said he would do it, so kidding or not, he deserves the consequence of being reported to the police and arrested.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 06-28-2013, 07:33 PM Reply With Quote