Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Truthwatcher
Default   #17  
*shrug*
What can I say, I write a lot of poetry.
Unless there's a rule I missed about it having to be written during the event, I've got dozens upon dozens of poems to choose from.
Old Posted 05-16-2012, 04:48 AM  
gnometastic
I do better when there's topics or themes...though I'll prod the muse with a flaming stick to see if he wants to play....
I've gone to look for myself, if I should return before I get back keep me here.

beautiful art by littl3chocobo
Old Posted 05-16-2012, 09:54 AM  
We're all mad here.
Default   #19  
Well, the default theme could be considered Trisphee, unless something else decides to make itself known.
Old Posted 05-16-2012, 09:15 PM  
Posty McPostsALot
Oh...this is good...I plan on winning, you know, right?
Old Posted 05-17-2012, 09:47 AM  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #21  
Fen said I'm not allowed to enter this. *pouts*

Looking forward to seeing everyone's submissions, though. :)
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 05-17-2012, 12:32 PM  
We're all mad here.
No? Can you enter but not have it count? Do something anyway and post it here for inspiration, or just for something to do. ;). I suppose I could take me own words in that respect. Been in a writing mode of late yet have no produced anything beyond...I should just stop there.

You do that, Funk, ;)
Old Posted 05-17-2012, 11:00 PM  
Mercury Poisoning!
Default   #23  
I like writing free poetry.. I don't even know what prose is. orz should probably learn..
Inspire me
Old Posted 05-18-2012, 12:36 AM  
We're all mad here.
You ever read a book? That's prose. ;) (well, most books). Basically, writing falls into two categories; prose and verse. Poetry and Skakespeare's plays are written in verse, and most everything else is written in prose.

At 500 words, one is usually looking at a very short story. At 100 words, even shorter, and tricky to pull off.
Old Posted 05-18-2012, 01:31 AM  
Mercury Poisoning!
Default   #25  
..That clarifies virtually nothing. I read a lot of books, and I see no difference between one written and the other. XD;

Why didn't you just say 'short story' instead of 'prose'?! How the heck is poetry defined, now that it comes to this? My whole mind has been blown.

/edit
Oh, I see.. the title is 'prose AND poetry'. Sneaky.
Inspire me
Old Posted 05-18-2012, 02:36 AM  
We're all mad here.
Ah. I see. Yeah, I limited prose by word count instead of picking a type, like short story or essay, etc. I want to see what people decide to do with it.

Defining poety is evil and every other person has their own idea of how to define it. I'm sure there's a univerisity course somewhere solely on what defines a poem, and probably a few books. I'm still a little lost when it comes to things like "prose poem."
Old Posted 05-18-2012, 04:56 AM  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #27  
My university actually just added a course examining the characteristics of prose and poetry and how to blur the line between them. I didn't have the prerequisites to take it this semester, but hopefully it's still available next semester.
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 05-19-2012, 02:46 PM  
We're all mad here.
That would be cool. Care to pass me you're notes when you're done with them? Or make a study thread? ;). Could make an interesting clubhouse topic. :)
Old Posted 05-19-2012, 04:10 PM  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Default   #29  
That would be a really interesting class. It's a shame university classes require prerequisites for anything that sounds fun. I would love to take upper-level classes from other majors just to learn about things I find neat but don't want to hardcore study.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 05-19-2012, 05:23 PM  
We're all mad here.
You try auditing?

There are upper level courses that don't have pre-requisites to them. They are upper level for a reason though, and I found that when I tried to take a 3rd year course when I was just starting out. I just didn't have the grouding in the subject that most third years would have to I ended up taking it in third year anyway.

I'd love to take the course on Asian literature, (there are a couple), but as an undefined studend I would get last pick in favour of those going to degrees, so there's little chance I would get in. There was a 26 person waiting list last time, and the course only had 30-40 slots.
Old Posted 05-20-2012, 12:29 AM  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Default   #31  
I suppose I could audit, or even just show up and sit in on a lecture like a ninja. Almost all the classes at my university that don't count for a gen ed credit are major-locked, though. Even the ones with open majors.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 05-21-2012, 05:36 PM  
We're all mad here.
Ah. I'm tempted to go for a sociology major for the hell of it, since I have a good grounding in it and it would probably only take me a year anyway. Then I can catch up to my dad and aunt and have two degrees! ;). Not to mention better pick at courses that I want to take because I feel like it.

And by the way, we have some poetry entires now, but no prose. Where is the prose? Bring me prose! I decree that we need some!
Old Posted 05-21-2012, 07:50 PM