Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Aigoo!
Default why do they always have english accents   #1  
In so many movies they give the people english accents even if they aren't in england.

Right now I am watching ever after and they are French but they have english accents.

Same with movies about ancient rome they so often have english accents.

whats with that?
Old Posted 03-18-2011, 01:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
It's no more incorrect than giving them American accents. I suspect it may be attempting to follow a Shakespearean "tradition".

In Beauty and the Beast, only ONE character had a French accent -- Lumiere! Everyone else had an American accent except for some commoners.
Old Posted 03-18-2011, 01:10 PM Reply With Quote  
Dazed
Default   #3  
Well it wouldn't make much sense for people to be speaking in a French accent when they're supposed to be speaking French, would it? *coughPotOcough*

I guess, since every region has a different accent, it'd be near impossible to make the characters have no accent. If the character has an American accent, it may sound weird to the English and vice-versa. I (usually) just never pay attention to accents in movies taking place in foreign countries like that unless it just doesn't make sense.

Like Lumiere in B&B - they're supposed to be speaking French, why does he have a French accent? There should be no accent because to all the characters, they don't really have accents. Belle might have a more country accent to her speak since she comes from a small country town, and the Beast may have a more noble accent being, well, nobility. I liked how Mrs. Pots had a more London accent to her speak (she should, considering she was played by Angela Landsbury!) since it made sense that the cook, who might be an English immigrant, would have an English accent to her French.
Old Posted 03-30-2011, 01:07 AM Reply With Quote  
Silent Scream

That's because it's in europe, and as we all know, english accent is the nearest possible accent we all know and understand.

^Toxxic art
art by chocobo & honey
Old Posted 04-06-2011, 07:14 AM Reply With Quote  
Lurker of Lurkiness
Default   #5  
Because Americans are silly? ^^;;
In Finding Nemo, only a few characters had an Australian accent, even though they were all supposed to live in/near Australia.
Other countries do this too. Characters in anime almost always speak perfect Japanese (or American English if it's the dub) even if they are supposed to be from elsewhere, and very rarely say anything in their 'native' tongue.

But anyways, ... I do think it has something to do with Americans not being able to understand other accents as well, and as soon as we hear an English accent, we go "Ooh! An accent! We're in another land!" I have noticed a few movies where I think "But doesn't this take place in _______? Why do they have American/English accents?" But it usually doesn't bother me much. I think casting has a lot to do with it too.

WOAH, rant. ... I think I'll just stop right here ^^;
As fabulous and pretty as they are, Ulti's avatars are always male~

Please use "he"/"him" or "they"/"them" pronouns when referring to me please <3

User since 9-22-10

I love it when people use my Sinopa emotes~ <3
~
Old Posted 04-06-2011, 06:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Dazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima View Post

[...]

But anyways, ... I do think it has something to do with Americans not being able to understand other accents as well, and as soon as we hear an English accent, we go "Ooh! An accent! We're in another land!" I have noticed a few movies where I think "But doesn't this take place in _______? Why do they have American/English accents?" But it usually doesn't bother me much. I think casting has a lot to do with it too.
While many American movie makers do do this, they aren't the only ones. Many European films do it, too. As I said, I take it as the characters are speaking their common language (say, French) but we're hearing it in our common language (like English). Depending on where the film was made and what actors are in it, we may hear their accents come through.

This doesn't explain why Leonidas spoke with a Scotts accent in 300, but.
Old Posted 04-06-2011, 11:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Psych
Default   #7  
Haha, Gerard Butler is Scottish. Maybe when he played Leonidas he hadn't finished the accent portion of Acting 101?

But yeah, I think the accent thing is just because its one common accent that's easily decipherable by most of the people that know the English language. Also, sometimes I think if we're not familiar with the accent from a region, it can come across as an accent we're more familiar with. And in the end, who really knows what kind of accent the ancient Romans had? So I guess its all in the director's artistic choices and the viewer's interpretation.
Old Posted 04-11-2011, 11:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Be afraid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
In Finding Nemo, only a few characters had an Australian accent, even though they were all supposed to live in/near Australia.
Other countries do this too. Characters in anime almost always speak perfect Japanese (or American English if it's the dub) even if they are supposed to be from elsewhere, and very rarely say anything in their 'native' tongue.

WOAH, rant. ... I think I'll just stop right here ^^;
finding nemo was packed full of australian actors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem View Post
It was Ashy's abs that brought us forth

Gallagher is my eternal nemesis
I have Fen's Boobs
Nexy's Wench
Old Posted 04-12-2011, 12:15 AM Reply With Quote  
Dazed
Default   #9  
I WOULD SAY IS ALL PART OF CASTING I MEAN I DONT UNDERSTAND IT I MEAN EVER AFTER IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL AGES BUT I CAN TRULY SAY I DONT UNDERSTAND IM ASSUMING IT GIVES THE ACTOR/ACTRESS CODOS I GUESS OR IT JUST MAKES IT MORE INTERESTING AND FOREIGN GIVING IT A WOW FACTOR TO IT BUT IF I LIKE THE MOVIE I WOULD WATCH I CAN FRANKLY SAY IM NOT MUCH INTO THE ACCENT BUT THE MOVIE ITSELF BUT GOOD POINT OH YES LIKE WHEN THEY SPEAK SPANISH IN MOVIES AND SUPPOSE TO BE MEXICAN OR CUBAN AND SO FORTH SOMETIMES THE ACCENT KIND OF SWAYS WHICH CAN BE HILARIOUS...
Old Posted 04-16-2011, 10:29 AM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
I remember the stereotype of British people that heir more smarter than Americans so, when they do some sort of British accent it makes them seem smarter

OBBIE'S twin sister
My Baby:Link Super secret Mission:Link
Old Posted 04-23-2011, 11:15 AM Reply With Quote  
The only Prof. of Fizzyology
Default   #11  
It's because the majority of Movie watchers apparently think an English accent is sexy lol. I have to admit I think that too, but yeah it does get a little annoying when a character who shouldn't have an accent does.

Although there are some movies where the accent is literally just the natural accent of the actor and they didn't bother with attempting to change it.

Click to go to Quest Thread ---v

Member since Nov. 4th 2010
Old Posted 04-24-2011, 12:22 AM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Ironically, The Kings Speech had quite a few people with more German-sounding accents.
Old Posted 05-01-2011, 02:36 PM Reply With Quote