Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Queen of Typoes
Default   #2225  
thank ye muchly! i have quite a bit of Dr Who, Star Wars, and Harry Potter.

and other random things too, like Hamilton. XD

and yaay! you know about Elisabeth! =)

currently reading: Wind by Erin Hunter (#23) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
dragoncave | magistream | ravelry | faenaria | goodreads
snap / insta / discord ~ trystan830 | she / her / hers
~*~*~
"you are some kind of like 20th level string witch" ~Mekatra
"You're the highest level string witch I know too" ~ZenKitty
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 02-21-2018, 04:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Of course I do! Elisabeth was the very first musical I ever watched, which cemented my love for musicals as a whole ^^

Never heard about Hamilton though, and personally I'm not into Harry Potter (even though I still consider it interesting what various fan crafts people design).

Now I want to watch Star Wars. Been ages since I did, and I only know the old movies.
Old Posted 02-21-2018, 04:05 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #2227  
my first musical was.... West Side Story, maybe? or Sound of Music or the Music Man or Fiddler on the Roof.

as for Hamilton, i'll send you a PM....

i didn't see Elisabeth until 2013, when a good family friend showed it to me and my daughters. also, said friend has met Pia Douwes... in Germany. so awesome!

as for Star Wars, the best i've seen so far is this: you watch 4 and 5.... then 1, 2, 3 as flashbacks, then you watch 6. you can watch 7 and 8 then. you can watch Rogue One then as well.

or you can watch them in production order: 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7, R1, 8. but make sure you start with 4, 5, & 6 - the Holy Trilogy. XD

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 02-21-2018, 05:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Thanks for your advice ^^

Yup, if I'm not mistaken then 4, 5 and 6 should be the ones I know (at least I remember back in the old days when they announced a new Star Wars movie, it was about events that actually happened before Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader and whatnot). Used to be more of a Star Trek fan back then, so I admit I didn't pay that much attention. We also used to have very limited TV channels; I still remember bribing a friend to tape "Xena the Warrior Princess" for me.
Old Posted 02-21-2018, 06:26 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #2229  
fair enough.

4 (A New Hope, although when it originally came out it was just called Star Wars), 5 (the Empire Strikes Back), and 6 (the Return of the Jedi) are about Luke, Leia, Han Solo, Darth Vader, the Empire, and all those guys.

1 (the Phantom Menace), 2 (the Attack of the Clones), and 3 (the Revenge of the Sith) are how Darth Vader came into being and the rise of the Empire.

7 (the Force Awakens) is 30 years after 6; 8 (the Last Jedi) takes place right after 7 ends and continues onwards. i imagine 9 will take place almost right after 8)

Rogue 1 takes place riiiiiight before A New Hope starts. in the crawl line of A New Hope, there's a small blurb about a small group of rebels who steal the plans for the Death Star. R1 is their story.

Xena (and Hercules) are on my rewatch list, btw. =)

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 02-21-2018, 06:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Awesome.

I think I'll go with the flashback method you recommended, and then you'll probably see random Star Wars projects pop up on my ravelry page. Because if I merely wanted a solid color scarf or pair of mittens, I'd buy them - making stuff linked to one's interests is where the fun really starts
Old Posted 02-21-2018, 06:52 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #2231  
Surprise surprise....guess who isn't going to have anything finished for the CAL yrt again....
XP
But I have a shit-ton of hearts that I made like 4 years ago or so....

I just am super tired and kind of have no motivation to work on stuff currently, though I do have a couple projects I need to get done pretty much asap.
Old Posted 02-21-2018, 07:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
the flashback method was from a friend of mine. i watched them in release order. =)

oooh, i can't wait. have you seen my Falconesque shawl?

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 02-21-2018, 10:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Default   #2233  
Yeah, but I'll probably start less ambitious myself. That looks as if it takes six months to complete ^^;
Old Posted 02-22-2018, 05:36 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
well, starting small is a good idea.

some time ago, at Michael's - i was on the register, so i couldn't step away and physically help the customers, but i passed on my suggestions via our radios - a father and son came in, the son wanted to learn to crochet, and for his first project, he wanted to make a blanket. i suggested starting out with something smaller... which is why dishcloths or skinny scarves are good... they're little, you can see that you've completed something. but a blanket?

i have a blanket i'm going to be making, starting out by chaining 142 stitches. there's a pattern in it, which should repeat itself 6 times across. you work the pattern until it's 57" (so says the pattern).... or as tall as you want it, really. but for a beginner, someone could get only 12 inches up, and realise they're only 1/5 of the way done!

it's more gratifying to complete small things first, so i completely understand why you said what you did. =)

(and imma gonna be a show-off when i tell you it only took me 11 days to make. (however, the second time i made that pattern, i took 18 days. huh))

XD

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 02-22-2018, 06:05 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #2235  
Dude, that is a pretty gorgeous shawl.
I have a pattern that looks kind of similar actually (except for the way the colors are), but since it doesn't have any images or videos for clarification, some of the instructions are a tad confusing to me...but I wanna try it eventually.

Also, some cool/interesting stuff: I do have some projects I need to finish soon, but one of my friends actually gave me the idea (and for the first time in forever, I'm actually pretty excited about a project), to make a giant stuffed dragon. This is something I can actually probably do with all animal patterns, but we decided dragon first. And by giant, I mean that I am estimating it to be close to, if not more than, 4 feet tall.
But I have some math to do to calculate....pretty much everything. Increases and decreases, rows per section of head/arm/leg, etc. How many rows of garter stitch on the belly. Basically, a fuck-ton of math. I did just a little math and just the row count for the head up to the row that the ears and horns are on will be 75 rows.
But seriously, I am stupid-excited about this and it will definitely be a stash-buster since I am not going to buy any specific yarn for it. But I will start with yarns that I have a lot of, but do not have any specific project for, just so at least most of it is not super patchworky.
Old Posted 02-22-2018, 08:17 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
thanks, Kaderin!

hopefully you can get your pattern worked out! =)

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 02-22-2018, 08:29 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #2237  
I mean, it's mostly just a bunch of math. And I love math, so as long as I don't miss any row or peg sections to multiply by, it should be pretty easy.
It's really just taking all the numbers in the pattern, multiplying by 8.25, then rounding up (so basically 3.4 would just be 4) and then remembering to use that number instead of what the original pattern says.
Old Posted 02-22-2018, 08:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
That sounds seriously awesome, and if you finish it I'd love to see pictures!

So far I have no idea how to make a pattern larger or smaller, but I'm only starting out, therefore not really worried about not knowing some things yet.

And wow trystan, 11 days? That's incredibly fast!
Old Posted 02-22-2018, 08:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #2239  
Yeah, I'm not super good at calculating enlarging and decreasing at patterns unless I have a guideline to follow. Surprisingly, the stuffed animal pattern book I have pretty much walks you through the formula for increasing and decreasing those patterns. I would assume it's similar for needle knitting and crochet, but am not sure.
Old Posted 02-22-2018, 09:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
It depends on the pattern. Some patterns will give you how many stitches to cast on/increase/decrease for each size, including in key points of the pattern itself. Those ones are already calculated, but some patterns, like the hat I'm going to make for a dear friend, I have to do math.

Thankfully, the pattern I'm using, I already calculated how many more stitches I have to cast on, and I know where I can add stitches without it fucking up the design.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 02-22-2018, 10:49 PM Reply With Quote