Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Posty McPostsALot
Default Looking For Music!   #1  

I listen to a lot of music and I wondered if anyone would want to discover new tunes? I know you could easily look through the What are you currently listening to? thread but I figured maybe I could make a thread specifically to help other users discover new music that reflects their personal preferences and what they're currently into!

So this is what I need you to do for me. I would like you to share anywhere between five - ten songs that you like, from the same artist or multiple, tell me what genre you tend to gravitate to and what you like most about them! I'll do my best to find something that you may just like. If you're feeling adventurous you could also ask for a random recommendation and I'll shuffle my library and post what I see first.

If anyone has anything they'd like to recommend to me then feel free to share it and I'll give it a listen. I like just about everything but I'm picky with rap, country and pop.

And if you want to you can take a peak at my current favorite songs below!

Old Posted 02-24-2017, 02:18 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
I gravitate towards pretty much anything and all things melodic? I like when things sound a little sad and a little happy at the same time and there isn't too much rap--a little is fine, but it's hard for me to handle rapid fire words.

1I dunno what the name of this song is. But I like how it sounds a lot
2Closer - Chainsmokers
3Cicadas Under the Moon - Luo Tianyi (vocaloid)
4Wind Fireflies Moon - Luo Tianyi (vocaloid)
5I don't know the name of this song either...I just like how it sounds
6Rien qu'une Fois - Keen'V
7Dernière Danse - Indila
8Cry Baby - Melanie Martinez
9Heathens - Twenty One Pilots
10An instrument song I don't know the name of

...I listen to a lot of songs that aren't in English :o
So, any recommendations xD?

Last edited by Potironette; 02-26-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old Posted 02-26-2017, 09:29 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #3  

so sorry for disappearing after making this thread. thank you for sharing music, I'm going to take the time to check each thing out now. :)

since I've been gone I've listened to some new tunes, mostly post-hardcore and hardcore, and I'm going to share them.~

Old Posted 03-24-2017, 10:36 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I do have an "awesome songs" thread hidden around here that you could investigate. That said, do you like heavy metal and piracy?
Old Posted 03-25-2017, 01:25 AM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh View Post
I do have an "awesome songs" thread hidden around here that you could investigate. That said, do you like heavy metal and piracy?

Yes. I listen to a lot of metal haha.
Old Posted 03-25-2017, 01:36 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Then this is required listening.

This one is longer...with more explosions and fire. Not sure why there's fire.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 03-25-2017 at 03:11 AM.
Old Posted 03-25-2017, 02:59 AM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #7  

Not even surprised that you shared Alestorm haha.
They just played in Montreal but I couldn't make the show. :p
Old Posted 03-25-2017, 03:11 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Bah. Wrong side of the country! Not that I would have thought about it anyway. I'm more for Gloryhammer, really, but Alestorm is fun.
Old Posted 03-25-2017, 03:46 AM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #9  
Gloryhammer sounds familiar! What's a song you would recommend?

Edit: I'm listening to The Unicorn Invasion of Dundee... they're super catchy and fun. The silly song titles reminds me of old The Devil Wears Prada.

Is pirate metal like... kinda considered power metal since it's so fast. Is it inspired by it? Always wondered tbh! I'm a huge sucker for power metal unf. The first metal band I listened to was Iced Earth, the Rhapsody and Kamelot.
Last edited by gremlin; 03-25-2017 at 04:30 AM.
Old Posted 03-25-2017, 04:25 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Gloryhammer and Alestorm are the same people, or partly the same. I think the singer is different. I'm not sure pirate metal is actually a category but I wouldn't lump it with power metal, especially since both are parody bands. I like "Rise of the Chaos Wizards" from Gloryhammer and Apocalypse 1992 is just so epically ridiculous when you start listening to the actual lyrics that it's all just too fun. I haven't listened to all their stuff but apparently there are stories behind all the various characters. Even the line in Alestorm's "Death Throes of the Terror Squid" about fighting ninjas and vikings is explained.

Other people know better than me, but apparently Gloryhammer started as a parody of Bal-Sagoth. I actually don't know all that much about power metal, except that I've liked what I've listened to, so far. It's fun. :). Best anti-depressant ever.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 03-26-2017 at 01:37 AM.
Old Posted 03-26-2017, 01:35 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh View Post
Other people know better than me,
That's a strange way of spelling my name....

That is correct, though, Bal-Sagoth is what happens when fantasy bands take themselves much too seriously; they end up becoming unintentionally hilarious, whilst parody bands like Gloryhammer wear it on their sleeves. You're laughing with them, rather than at them. (I mean, I like Bal-Sagoth, but when you have song titles like "Behold, the Armies of War Descend Screaming from the Heavens!" or "Six-Score and Ten Oblations to a Malefic Avatar", you might expect a few giggles here and there. They're not power metal, though, symphonic black, I believe.)

And there are other pirate metal bands, I've never listened to them though. It seems to follow moreso the lyrical content than the style of music, sort of like viking metal that way.

Anyway, I too can suggest music!

While I enjoy energetic metal quite a bit, when it comes to what I really consider my favorite material is on the more depressive, melancholy, and introspective kind. See:

Draconian
My Dying Bride
Or, if for some strange reason anyone besides me would like nihilist cowboy punk, Swans

I also have a weakness for, oh what is the genre... atmospheric black/folk metal? Like...

Gallowbraid
Caladan Brood
Summoning
or the sublime wonder that is Eldamar

Speaking of folk metal, Eluveitie is pretty great. As is Gravedigger

I mentioned viking metal earlier, Amon Amarth is about as good as it gets.

...I think that's probably enough for now. If you don't like death growls, you can probably write off most of those. :P

Oh, actually I just thought of one more that's pretty unique. Van Canto are an a capella metal band who mostly do covers of other famous metal songs. They have a really interesting sound and some great singers, if you can stand vocalized guitar noises.
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 03-26-2017, 06:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
I'll check out those bands. Thanks so much! If you haven't heard of them check out Lifelover, they're pretty creepy, suicidal black metal or something like that. I like the song Cancertid off of Kronkus.

Honestly I love all growls, exhales, inhales... I can listen to anything so chances are I may just dive rifht into something you've shared with me and fall abolsutely in love with it haha.

I like Amon Amarth but aaaa never seeing them live again after my bad experience at their show last year. I can't think of any other viking metal bands... maybe I'm just not really into it. I don't really explore much pirate metal ever but I was a sucker for power metal when I was 14 and still am. I think I already mentioned it but the first metal band I listened to was Iced Earth. Then Rhapsody and Kamelot. Got into Iron Maiden around the same time too and Megadeth I think. I liked a lot of classical rock too like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Oh and I was really into Slipknot and Korn. >> I still listen to all of this haha not going to lie.
Last edited by gremlin; 03-26-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old Posted 03-26-2017, 11:04 PM Reply With Quote