Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

petite fantaisiste
Default   #17  
That's fancy :o
But I wonder if people eat Jell-O stuff on a near daily basis too? As for not in dinner parties? And maybe then it'd be less elaborate?

Old Posted 03-01-2017, 11:50 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Thankfully, other than like...the store bought jello rings that are basically flavored jello and a super rare (I don't remember ever seeing it again past grade school age) fruit in jello salad, my family never got into jello salads. All of the non-sweet ones sound just disgusting.
Old Posted 03-01-2017, 02:27 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Default   #19  
The only times I've eaten jello, they were in little cups of nothing but clear jello.

I was pretty surprised at the fact that it was called jello "salad" since whenever I think I salad, I don't think of jello xD

My family didn't live in the US so I can't ask them about jelly things.
Until now, I didn't know stores ever sold jello rings :o

Old Posted 03-01-2017, 02:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Oh my god... if you haven't google deserts from the 70s. I am not sure how this happened, but I am sure it was jell-o related. I digress. I have not had a Jell-o salad. I have had jell-o beans. My aunt used to make them for the holidays.
Old Posted 03-01-2017, 08:01 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #21  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
That's because you're younger than me, Den. ;) This is old-man Coda shaking his cane here.
Honestly, I get along better with people older than me, Coda. I'm not complaining though. I've met some seriously awesome people whom I'm still friends with years after meeting them.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 03-01-2017, 09:31 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Jell-O beans :o. I wonder how they tasted?

It feels like practically everything can be encased/paired with Jell-O. No wonder the brand's boxes are still around xD

Old Posted 03-01-2017, 09:35 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
Default   #23  
XD you guys are redic, hahahaha you need to look up the word 'aspic' that is what savories served in a meat gelatin are actually called, if you look up jello you'll get stuff like what you are getting now XD if someone served their dinner in lime jello you can be assured that either a garbage cook or general ignorance was the cause of it, the real deal is terribly time-consuming, requires actual knowledge of how to cook and set dishes XD

to be fair, i am a little biased XD i have cookbooks for both and the ones with instant flavored jello always read like someone had a little too much help from mother's little helper
Old Posted 03-02-2017, 11:53 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by littl3chocobo View Post
if someone served their dinner in lime jello you can be assured that either a garbage cook or general ignorance was the cause of it
Oooooooooor they're from earlier in the 20th century and that's the way they grew up having it and that's the way they like it and it's not worth the extra effort for a result that tastes different?
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 03-02-2017, 12:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #25  
Quote:
XD you guys are redic, hahahaha you need to look up the word 'aspic' that is what savories served in a meat gelatin are actually called, if you look up jello you'll get stuff like what you are getting now XD
But we're not talking about savories served in a meat gelatin. We're talking about savories in actual flavored (and unflavored in some cases) jello? Hence the topic being jello salad and not aspic?
Old Posted 03-02-2017, 02:44 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
unflavored gelatin is not always artificial, it usually is meat-based or at the very least animal based.

for sure though if potpot is looking at a 1911 recipe then they are 100% looking at an aspic-style "instant" jello(which would still be called a jello/jelly salad), the 15 minute instant jello that does not require boil, strain, settle and chill is still several years off at that point XD the jello in the ad is mid-century and my comment on that still stands true(and galla's variance is legit, it was a thing for a while to add mayo)

do know that the jello brand has been around since the victorian era and even though 1950s-1970s americana is where the stuff gained a lot of the contemporary notions of what is and is not acceptable aspic(for sure though some of it really does not qualify on a technical level)it is NOT the only time it was in vogue or even the time where it was most popular

if coda prefers the taste of instant jello topped with sweetened canned goods that is his prerogative but i have spoken to a /lot/ of people who were there serving and eating the stuff and for the most part it is agreed it's not very good at all XD of course i have also asked around and a lot of people from those decades have never tried anything other than instant flavored variants XD soooo that is a thing to take note of
Old Posted 03-02-2017, 03:45 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Default   #27  
I do know that aspic exists..but I didn't know that was a thing. I did see one instance of "aspic" in the very early 1900s but it flew out of my mind pretty quickly...looking back, I think it is aspic! (I don't know how aspic is made, and didn't realize "powdered gelatin" was part of the making process, woops).

(Speaking of which, though, I should be researching further into the century if I want to get anywhere for my history class xD (This Jell-O thing was something I side-tracked myself off of environmental stuff for x'D))

Packaged foods seemed to be err, desirable? In the past? I wouldn't know actually, since I'm reading this from some books only.

I do know Jell-O brand was around at least by early 1910s, but I had no idea it'd begun even earlier than that :o! I wonder how it took off?

What is and what is not acceptable aspic..? As in what qualifies as aspic? I'm surprised that was going on at that time :o

Old Posted 03-02-2017, 06:29 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
haha, well it depends on the country and the decade but powdered gelatin was in use in the very late 1800s, i know the last decade of the century for sure had it though reputable(ie not built around brand or based on home/church kitchen) books did not talk too much about it and either a assumed you'd just know or else would have basic instructions for a homemade gelatin in all the books i own on the subject i think only one actually gives full instructions on the matter X''D it was just taken for granted that cookbooks were an addition on the cooking you'd learn either from family or from apprenticeship and many would use the default dimensions of a branded food(ie 1 box jello gelatin) regardless of how official they were or if they were brand loyal in their preparation

oops XD i can see why you would though, food history if absolutely fascinating<3<3 i have likely read more books on food than i have actual school texts hahahaha for sure i have owned more!

prepackaged food reduced daily cooking time for people by so much! it was super desirable XD

cold-set with food inside= acceptable
used as a plate with the food on top= not acceptable

anything between the two depends on who you ask, personally i am uptight and am in the party of 'needs to have coherency' so just adding canned tuna, marshmallow bits and mayo in a lime jello all straight from their respective containers is simply unforgivable XD however a baked tuna flank immersed in a fish jello with bits of vinegar mayo and lime/lemon slices totally is alright even if it is topped with a sweet meringue haha
Old Posted 03-02-2017, 06:53 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Default   #29  
Quote:
it was just taken for granted that cookbooks were an addition on the cooking you'd learn either from family or from apprenticeship and many would use the default dimensions of a branded food(ie 1 box jello gelatin) regardless of how official they were or if they were brand loyal in their preparation
I'm surprised that was what was just accepted--it's so much different now, I think? (The only cookbook I've seen is my sister's xD. It teaches people how to cut stuff/prepare things in the beginning)

Powdered gelatin was in use really early :o

Jell-O/aspic were used as plates :o? I've seen a lot of pictures with food inside, but haven't seen ones without, I think.
...It can be not cold-set?

I'm curious how much canned foods were used when cooking, and how acceptable/normal it was :o. I get that today people prefer to use non-canned things, but that's now and not then ><

Old Posted 03-02-2017, 07:16 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
cho, to be perfectly fair, the point of ick for me here is entirely texture, not the flavor combinations. and mayo. bleh. but you already know i'm a weirdo that doesn't like mushies either.

Old Posted 03-02-2017, 07:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #31  
Quote:
if coda prefers the taste of instant jello topped with sweetened canned goods that is his prerogative but i have spoken to a /lot/ of people who were there serving and eating the stuff and for the most part it is agreed it's not very good at all XD of course i have also asked around and a lot of people from those decades have never tried anything other than instant flavored variants XD soooo that is a thing to take note of
I didn't say that was my own preference. I've never actually HAD non-instant gelatin. I'm reacting to your overblown food snobbery.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 03-02-2017, 07:55 PM Reply With Quote  
Harmless
A Youtube Channel called EmmyMadeInJapan made several videos of herself making these retro dishes, and she shows how she makes them and how they taste like. Her opinions are honest and it's fun to watch her.

Here's one where she makes Lime Cheese Jello. It looks horrendous. I think she made another video that had spaghetti-os in jello
Old Posted 03-02-2017, 11:21 PM Reply With Quote