Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

"Where to, Miss? To the Stars."
Default   #17  
Even though she most likely means well, the way she went about it is definitely controlling and not right. I would tell her that I am an strong, grown individual that makes my own choices including religious ones. It also means mutual respect. Assuming your mother is like mine, she would probably be extremely dismayed, but with these kinds of things...you just have to put your foot down, honestly.

One of my philosophies in keeping quiet is "If I go ahead and get riled up, I'm just making myself more angry." If she says anything about it, walk away. You do not need this kind of stress.

Good luck with this situation.
Old Posted 02-08-2017, 03:12 AM Reply With Quote  
The Weaver of Tales
Strangely enough, Buddhism is about acceptance of others, no matter what their race, creed, culture, opinions, or even species. What your mother is doing to you is almost ANTI-Buddhist. I believe one of the major things about Buddhism is to be understanding of people with different religions that you, or different beliefs than you - simply because we're all part of this world together... I could be wrong, that could be another religion, but I think I'm right.

... what your Mom is doing is the antithesis of that. Maybe point that out, and you might earn her respect. Or at least her silence.
Old Posted 02-08-2017, 01:25 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #19  
That's a dangerous strategy. The problem with people who use religion as a weapon is that they don't particularly care how other people define their religion. They have faith in their own compass, and anyone who suggests they aren't acting in accordance with their own professed beliefs must somehow be wrong.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-08-2017, 01:49 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
I don't remember what happened anymore...that was just around two months ago?

I've learned to retreat into my own world whenever my mom starts talking about religion though, I think. I'm not sure because I've not needed to interact much with my mom lately.

Old Posted 02-08-2017, 06:40 PM Reply With Quote