Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Blue Fish
Default   #17  
Digimon, hands down. I grew up with the first series, and it affected my life so much. <3
I have a ton of OCs and I write fanfics. :P
Old Posted 07-09-2016, 11:45 AM Reply With Quote  
Master of Shadows
Thats pretty cool never thought of digimon but now people can play pokemon like its real with pokemon go
Its Always Darkest Before The Dawn....
In The Dark Is Where I Lay, In The Shadows Is Where I Stay

He's one Smart Man
Old Posted 07-13-2016, 06:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
Default   #19  
Haha, yeah. xD Well, I can't play it yet, it's not out in Europe. -plays Digimon games on my DS Lite-
Old Posted 07-13-2016, 07:09 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
digimon was actually a cute real life anime if it would come to life hehehehe
Old Posted 01-01-2017, 07:32 AM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
Default   #21  
Sword Art Online. Wouldn't you love to actually be in a game? I feel you could do anything!
Old Posted 01-07-2017, 04:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
SAO is nice and all, but um, the entire Fate series?!
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 01-07-2017, 05:54 PM Reply With Quote  
Psych
Default   #23  
Perhaps Hunter x Hunter or Fairy Tail. I'm choosing those because their worlds seem vast, filled with insane places, people and other curiousities. That's what came to mind currently.
Old Posted 01-07-2017, 06:25 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espy View Post
SAO is nice and all, but um, the entire Fate series?!
I can think of a few good reasons why that would be terrible. The first one begins with "Gilles" and ends with "de Rais". Or, you know, random unexplained "fires" just outright consuming entire swaths of cities on a semi-regular basis. Or literally unkillable vampire illuminati. Or the mere existence of Shirou Emiya lowering the net worth of human lives by several orders of magnitude by the sheer amount of concentrated angst-fail he embodies.

I mean, it's my favorite series too, but no thank you. :P

Also I never got very far in SAO, but I think the world would look very, VERY different if the video game industry and market behaved in the fabulous ways it does in that show. Consumer and investor behavior would have to operate in a fundamentally different way, not to mention the things players actually find fun. And that's not even touching just how terrifying the entire premise is. I would think the fun goes right the hell out the window as soon as actually dying becomes a factor. That show is existential horror pretending to be fantasy.

I don't mean to make an essay out of this, but this is actually an issue I have pretty significant opinions on. My understanding is that the vicarious, cathartic enjoyment that comes from playing violent video games is directly enabled by the psychological distance the player is at from the content they're experiencing. It's fantasy roleplaying in the strictest psychological sense, it lets one exercise parts of their mind that wouldn't normally be stimulated in their regular lives, and to do so safely and without any sort of trauma (unless you're an arachnophobe like me playing Skyrim....)

This applies to anime and other media/literature that glamorize and naturalize violence, too. It skews the reality of the worst of all human experiences -- violent conflict and constant danger to one's life -- into something fun and adventurous. I'm definitely not saying that there's some sort of causal relationship between media and real-world violence, that's been rather thoroughly debunked, my point is more that it's in some way uncomfortable, and I think I'd even say offensive, to characterize warfare, assassination, and serial murder as the whimsical aspirations and fantasies of a childish mind. Violence and death should never be "fun" or "cool".

Which is not to say at all that I don't enjoy violent media, Espy can vouch for my tastes on that front, but rather that I appreciate stories that properly contextualize violence and conflict and don't make a joke out of some of the most serious and life-changing/ending problems humans have between themselves.

I guess, for me, it comes down to preferring the Devil one knows. I'd take this ugly, wretched world with its car crashes and wars and its decaying sun, over some postmodern faux-medievalist anarchist fantasy about the disintegration of 1st-world civilization into some pseudo-Darwinian death-world. Again, no thank you.
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 01-07-2017, 07:05 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #25  
-snicker-

Yeah, I suppose you're right. We make one videogame into reality, and we'd have to find different ways of living another life vicariously.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 01-08-2017, 01:36 AM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzerain of Sheol View Post

Also I never got very far in SAO, but I think the world would look very, VERY different if the video game industry and market behaved in the fabulous ways it does in that show. Consumer and investor behavior would have to operate in a fundamentally different way, not to mention the things players actually find fun. And that's not even touching just how terrifying the entire premise is. I would think the fun goes right the hell out the window as soon as actually dying becomes a factor. That show is existential horror pretending to be fantasy.

I don't mean to make an essay out of this, but this is actually an issue I have pretty significant opinions on. My understanding is that the vicarious, cathartic enjoyment that comes from playing violent video games is directly enabled by the psychological distance the player is at from the content they're experiencing. It's fantasy roleplaying in the strictest psychological sense, it lets one exercise parts of their mind that wouldn't normally be stimulated in their regular lives, and to do so safely and without any sort of trauma (unless you're an arachnophobe like me playing Skyrim....)

Well just the idea of being in a virtual reality. Despite the fact that you can die. Just leave the creator of SAO and leave the technology of being in the game lol.
Old Posted 01-08-2017, 02:11 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #27  
I'm going to assume you mean full-on science fiction VR that's basically mind-uploading, because I've tried the Vive and the PS4 VR, and I was not impressed lol. At that point, though, you're more along the lines of something like a benign version of the Matrix, which I would totally go for.
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 01-08-2017, 02:13 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
I was going to formulate a response to the whole Matrix thing, but then my brain started doing a bad and went a bit too deep down the rabbit hole, SOOOOO I won't.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 01-08-2017, 02:21 AM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
Default   #29  
VR is still a new thing today with the goggle things but it's not the same lol. It's not as impressive. Though those things mess with your brain senses.
Old Posted 01-08-2017, 02:31 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Honestly, I can't wait for AR to become a mainstay in daily life.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 01-08-2017, 02:44 AM Reply With Quote  
Problem to the Solution
Default   #31  
A little tidbit.

Unless your hair is the color of an 80's music video backdrop, you won't be the main character. Which means you're disposable. You won't even die after saying something about friends and never giving up. You'll be one of hundreds of faceless people wiped out as an afterthought while a villain shows just how villainous he really is. Chances are it won't even be an on screen death.
Okay actually you know what? Panzermadels because I want to see that logistical nightmare, but you'll never know that because this is in secret white text.
With that in mind, I suggest Azumanga Daioh or some other cut rate slice of life anime, so you can go on about your day and never even know what you're in.
Old Posted 01-08-2017, 02:52 AM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
Omg I love do re mi so in rl all things would be pretty and cute and witches would excist ;)
Old Posted 01-08-2017, 04:24 AM Reply With Quote