Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Truthwatcher
Default   #161  
I mean...when I make stuff up, I usually make note of stitches and row counts still so that I can replicate it again later or so if I'm making a pair, they're even.
Old Posted 12-21-2016, 09:54 PM  
petite fantaisiste
Ohhh. I don't take notes because of how uneven my crocheting is right now...even if I did take how many stitches I had, they'd look different because of my amateur tension control ^^;;

Old Posted 12-21-2016, 09:55 PM  
Truthwatcher
Default   #163  
That makes sense.
Old Posted 12-21-2016, 09:57 PM  
On in to the future
Using Tunisian style crocheting several rows at a time will help with your tension issues. Instead of going horizontally, I go vertically.
Old Posted 12-21-2016, 10:13 PM  
Truthwatcher
Default   #165  
Huh. That's interesting. If I ever seriously decide to learn crochet, I'll have to test that out...
Old Posted 12-21-2016, 10:17 PM  
petite fantaisiste
Tunisian.. -googles-

That's a bit like knitting :o

Old Posted 12-21-2016, 11:00 PM  
Truthwatcher
Default   #167  
Yeah. Tunisian crochet is almost a mux of knitting and crochet.
Old Posted 12-21-2016, 11:03 PM  
On in to the future
It is very much like knitting. I also know how to cable stitch with crochet, if anyone's interested.
Old Posted 12-21-2016, 11:44 PM  
Truthwatcher
Default   #169  
Really? I wasn't sure that cables were possible with crochet. But then, I don't really crochet.
Old Posted 12-21-2016, 11:47 PM  
petite fantaisiste
That's interesting :o. I know no stitches so I'm not sure what that means, but I'm guessing that cable stitch is a normally knitting thing?

I like crocheting for its intuitiveness and the fact I can use one hook. Knitting I don't "get" as much, and I don't understand how people do circles with three(?) needles.

Old Posted 12-21-2016, 11:47 PM  
On in to the future
Default   #171  
Well as for the circle thing, the idea is that you transfer your stitches from one hook to the other back and forth and make rows. By introducing a third hook, it makes it one continuous row, ie, a spiral, that build up into a tube. Of course, most things you can just make one long rectangle and stitch the two long sides together, but you can do that with crochet, too.

With crochet cables, it's ridiculously simple. Once you have your desired row length (multiples of six), chain two (counts as your first double crochet) and double crochet into your next stitch (these will be your 'spacer' posts). Skip the next two stitches, then double crochet into the next two. Now here's where the magic happens: you go back to the second stitch you skipped, double crochet, then to the first stitch you skipped, and double crochet. Repeat this process all across your row. You should have a series of little 'x's. Now you turn your work, chain twice (first double crochet) and front post double crochet the next stitch, back post double crochet the next four (it can be a little bit tricky, these four make up your little 'x's, but you'll get the hang of it), and so on until the end of the row. Rinse and repeat, and you're cabling!
Old Posted 12-22-2016, 12:03 AM  
petite fantaisiste
Ohh, that makes sense. I can sort of envision it now. Granted, I probably won't try it for fear of all the stitches falling off.

..I need to try those instructions to understand then -goes to find hook-

Old Posted 12-22-2016, 12:06 AM  
Truthwatcher
Default   #173  
I will stick with my looms as they come in circle varieties for easy circular project making...
Those cable instructions sound ridiculously complex to me, but again, probably because O don't crochet.
Old Posted 12-22-2016, 12:09 AM  
petite fantaisiste
-makes loops with fingers because I can't hook them properly-

I want to try looming sometime! It sounds fast somehow.

Old Posted 12-22-2016, 12:13 AM  
Truthwatcher
Default   #175  
To an extent it can be fast. But from the sound of it, not actually much quicker than other crafts depending on skill.
Old Posted 12-22-2016, 12:14 AM  
On in to the future
Macrame is pretty fast. You make a hideously long row, then sew them together at whatever lengths you want.

I can make pictures if it would be easier to follow. I've been doing this since I was seven.
Old Posted 12-22-2016, 12:23 AM