Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Developer
Default   #17  
Colleges let you test out of gen-ed classes that are covering the material you've already studied. I strongly recommend taking them up on that because otherwise it's a painful waste of time and money.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-15-2016, 12:31 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
As for high school... High school is a much different scenario.

One, it's publicly-funded, so you're not sinking money into it. It's a FREE way to improve your life.

Two, at least in the US, if you're under 18 you're not going to be able to enter into contracts on your own ANYWAY, so you're out of luck on getting a meaningful job.

Three, with the exception of high-end honors classes, the stuff taught in high school actually DOES make a difference in day-to-day life in the real world. (Honors classes are more useful for college prep, or to keep people who are naturally inquisitive from getting too painfully bored with high school.) And even those exceptions can prove useful sometimes.

Four, the teenage years are especially important in social development. Going through high school USUALLY results in people who are more capable of dealing with social situations, more capable of handling pressure, and in general more mature. Yes, there are exceptions, but if your worst problem is feeling like it's a waste of time you probably aren't one of those.

The irony of the situation is that teenagers don't yet have the life experience to put the high school experience into perspective. I've heard plenty of people regret college, but it's rare that I hear someone over 25 wish that they had dropped out of high school.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-15-2016, 12:42 AM Reply With Quote  
Neutral Good
Default   #19  
In response to the post above, a job is actually pretty nice when you don't have to worry about school imo.
My first job was phenomenal. Granted, I was getting paid 3 dollars above min. wage (so I was ecstatic.) it was still a wonderful experience. Definitely give that a go.

EDIT: Was looking at the wrong page. @ the post that mentioned getting a job.

Unfortunately I was one of those who should have been plopped into honors from the get-go. High school was just ridiculously boring to me and always has been. I started taking online classes and started to excel but then I got distracted and sunk pretty deep. Off-topic, but that's my personal opinion on high school. It obviously varies for many, and can be a wonderful experience for some.
Art Gallery
Vee | 18 | INFP-T 6w5 | Neutral Good

Last edited by Vee; 12-15-2016 at 12:57 AM.
Old Posted 12-15-2016, 12:54 AM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Admittedly, high school helped somewhat with social development, but I think that area is a big problem for me.

I don't really have a problem with high school--only that some classes I don't fully appreciate the point of them.

Old Posted 12-15-2016, 01:34 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #21  
The value of English and math classes are self-evident; it's important to be able to communicate well and to be able to reason about values and abstract concepts.

Science classes are useful to understand why things are the way they are, but even more valuable is the experience in relating academic things to real-world things -- learning how to apply critical thinking, statistics, methodology, etc. in a controlled environment.

Literature classes may seem pointless on the surface. The goal there is learning how to understand meanings beyond just the superficial. Taught properly, it's basically applied philosophy. Even taught improperly, it teaches how to synthesize information.

History is a difficult subject to teach well. A poor history teacher or a poor history curriculum will end up missing the point. Memorizing trivia about the past is pointless. Understanding the driving forces behind past events and how they led to the present state of the world, on the other hand, is extremely valuable. I will say that I would have a much worse understanding of modern politics if I hadn't taken history classes.

Old Posted 12-15-2016, 01:48 AM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Oh! That makes sense. I'll try to remember to think about those things when I feel down about taking a class. It's not a very nice feeling thinking what I'm doing isn't useful.

Old Posted 12-15-2016, 02:03 AM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
Default   #23  
As others have pointed out, getting your AA can be general and will put you ahead of many others in the work force by it alone. You would just take generic classes everyone has to take, unless you end up wanting to specialize in something. It allows you to move higher up in jobs, and stuff, where a GED or highschool diploma would limit you.

Also, a word of advice, go to a community college or something first. In my sociology class we learned about this, and in my own personal life I have experienced it, that jumping straight into a university fresh out of highschool can do more harm than good.
University is such a drastic change from highschool. You go from 30 people in a classroom, to 200, where professors don't bother to get to know your name and you are stuck trying to figure out what the hell is going on through TAs. Your professors are only there to do research, not to help you. They don't even have degrees in teaching, really, so most of them are really shitty at it. Community college is a lot cheaper, with smaller classrooms and professors that are actually there to teach, and have degrees in it. You also get a nice balance between highschool and college settings, to better prepare you for the university life two years later.

I have spent my first two years at a community college, and just got my AA this past Fall semester. I do not regret it. I felt shame at first, but I know so many people who jumped straight to university and have dropped out completely or dropped out and are going to a community college, now. Thankfully, my college is actually #1 in the nation currently, so I am confident in my education. I'll be attending a university next fall, and I definitely feel a lot more prepared now than I did when I left highschool.

Like you, I barely know what I want to do. It took me two years of college to get somewhat of an idea. I am going into Psychology because I excel in the classes, and it is one of the only things that genuinly interests me. Once I get my degree, I will most likely go for School Psychology/Counseling, but even now I am still unsure. Just take it one step at a time. So many people switch their majors a million times, and it is okay to not know what you want to do right now.
Last edited by Pessimisticat; 12-15-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old Posted 12-15-2016, 03:31 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Ohh, I see. Community colleges are really helpful then!

I don't suppose there's a way to enroll in a community college outside of New York or in Canada..? I'm not sure about my emotional health remaining close to my family ^^;;.

Old Posted 12-15-2016, 05:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #25  
I've heard mixed stories regarding whether or not jumping straight from high school into college is good or not. The counterpoint is momentum. High school students are already used to going to classes and learning, and taking a break knocks you out of that groove -- summer vacation is already too long for optimum learning, and a whole year is just going to develop a lifestyle and habits that are just going to get screwed with again when you do go back to school.

Furthermore, high school students' brains are still in prime state for acquiring new skills. The older you are, the harder it is to incorporate new skills -- this isn't to say it's impossible, but it's much FASTER when you're younger, and you really want to have the fundamentals of your chosen career under your belt before you hit 25.

Something that doesn't help: The industry is set up around getting high school seniors into college, and most of the offers are set up around recruiting 17- and 18-year-old kids. Good luck getting a scholarship if you're not a high school student.

Of course, taking a break and being older when you go to school does HAVE some advantages. It may take more effort to actually accomplish it, but the additional maturity helps with maintaining the discipline to stick with the classes and homework, and not being so young also means you're not being targeted by a lot of the same traps that distract college students.

Old Posted 12-15-2016, 05:24 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Enrolling in a community college generally involves living in that community. All you've gotta do is... move. It's generally NOT a good idea to go to a community college out-of-state because of the tuition -- it can go up as high as 4x more expensive compared to being local.

Old Posted 12-15-2016, 05:25 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Default   #27  
Hmm, that's not good. I'm not really sure what I'll do :/. For now I'll focus on getting those SATs studied for then taken, I suppose. Unless taking the ACT is a better idea.

Old Posted 12-15-2016, 05:32 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pessimisticat View Post
...University is such a drastic change from highschool. You go from 30 people in a classroom, to 200, where professors don't bother to get to know your name and you are stuck trying to figure out what the hell is going on through TAs. Your professors are only there to do research, not to help you. They don't even have degrees in teaching, really, so most of them are really shitty at it. Community college is a lot cheaper, with smaller classrooms and professors that are actually there to teach, and have degrees in it. You also get a nice balance between highschool and college settings, to better prepare you for the university life two years later.
In defense of University, I did enjoy my time there very much. The teachers weren't unwilling to help, but logistics just made it difficult sometimes. This gets easier as you progress. Sure, the major courses that everyone has to take will have enrollments in the hundreds and be in massive lecture halls, but the further into your education you get, the more things become like they were in back in college. I took a number of classes in Nordic Studies, often with no more than 10 other people, and got to know the faculty quite well. My Swedish teacher would host a Christmas party each year that the whole class would go to, and most people knew about the Nordic Lit teachers fondness for Scandinavian metal.
Old Posted 12-15-2016, 06:23 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #29  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potironette View Post
Hmm, that's not good. I'm not really sure what I'll do :/. For now I'll focus on getting those SATs studied for then taken, I suppose. Unless taking the ACT is a better idea.
Some schools want the SAT, some schools want the ACT. The prep generally applies to both anyway. Given that the tests aren't THAT expensive I usually recommend doing both of them unless you already know that the schools you intend to apply to want one or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh View Post
In defense of University, I did enjoy my time there very much. The teachers weren't unwilling to help, but logistics just made it difficult sometimes. This gets easier as you progress. Sure, the major courses that everyone has to take will have enrollments in the hundreds and be in massive lecture halls, but the further into your education you get, the more things become like they were in back in college. I took a number of classes in Nordic Studies, often with no more than 10 other people, and got to know the faculty quite well. My Swedish teacher would host a Christmas party each year that the whole class would go to, and most people knew about the Nordic Lit teachers fondness for Scandinavian metal.
Seconded. Professors hold office hours for a reason, and even though they might be there to research, most of them are still basically good people with an honest desire to help people learn.

Old Posted 12-15-2016, 08:21 PM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
I haven't really had time to read through the responses, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Graduation for you is a long way off so just give it some more time and don't jump to conclusions. I have screwed up so much so quickly because I jumped to conclusions on what I was going to do after high school. College has more benefits then cons after you graduate. The first one being that literally every livable job you're going to want is going to ask how far you went with your education. Very rarely will you find and employer that won't ask that and take it into consideration when making their decision.

Second I know college seems dumb right now, but there are so many choices and opportunities to think about as well. College has many options and I suggest starting at a CC if you don't want to jump straight into a university. University will save you time though trust me on that one. Wasted 4 years at a CC just trying to transfer. I made so many valuable connections though at my CC that has lead to further successes in my life so it wasn't all bad.

No matter what you choose to do in college it will pay off in the future. The important thing to remember is that no matter where you end up in life just keep working hard. That is one thing my professor said to me once when I was ready to drop out. He told me "where ever you are in life is where you are supposed to be, you just have to keep working hard." So no matter what your choice is always keep pushing and worker hard and strive for more every day. Never get comfortable I think is what I've taken away from my college experience.

So yeah I know that's super convoluted, but I just want to say no matter you choose just work very hard.
Questing

[ ] Head of Adam
[ ] Ripped Bod
Old Posted 12-15-2016, 08:44 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Default   #31  
I'll try my best to keep this all in mind, thanks everyone!

Sometimes, I don't know what working hard means. Right now, working hard would probably mean juggling to starting studying for SATs/ACT, doing schoolwork, and community service.

Extracurricular things and others...I don't really understand how to work myself into those.

Old Posted 12-15-2016, 08:55 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizu View Post
College has more benefits then cons after you graduate. The first one being that literally every livable job you're going to want is going to ask how far you went with your education. Very rarely will you find and employer that won't ask that and take it into consideration when making their decision.
Speaking as someone who HAS a degree and graduated from college over a decade ago and who has experience interviewing candidates: This statement isn't necessarily true anymore.

The job market has become saturated by people who got a degree BECAUSE people said employers do this. It's no longer the surefire competitive advantage that it used to be. Four years of practical job experience means more than a degree. Once you've got job experience, your degree stops mattering. It certainly didn't get me my last three jobs.

Quote:
No matter what you choose to do in college it will pay off in the future.
The price of tuition has been going up faster than salaries have been going up. Between the money you would save by not going to college, the money you would earn by working a full-time job during that time, and the career advancement you gain from having four more years of job experience, the "better" job you get from having a degree might not pay enough more over your lifetime to make up the difference.

Quote:
The important thing to remember is that no matter where you end up in life just keep working hard.
THIS is true. This IS part of the most important thing. Even more important, though, is that you should be working hard on something that you want to do.

Working hard doesn't have to mean working hard in college. You should explore your interests, learn what you like to do, and then find out what you need to pursue in order to make that dream come true. If you need to learn the things that a university education will teach you to do that, then by all means, go to college! If a vocational school will give you the job skills you need, do that! If a boot camp will give you the skills you need, do that! If a certification in a field will set you apart from other applicants, go pursue one!

And no matter what you do, teach yourself -- above and beyond whatever education you choose to pursue.

Old Posted 12-15-2016, 09:06 PM Reply With Quote