Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

A*DIC*TED
Default   #2913  
I definitely don't mean to make my sisters sound like awful people but they have lives and kids and just... don't make time for mom or me socially. I wish they would visit because mom was saying she feels like she has no family left besides me earlier yesterday. She is so socially isolated that I worry about how that effects her. I want to see about getting her to more crochet/craft groups locally and see if she can make more friends with similar interests as her. Like for me I get my social time chatting online. Mom is borderline computer illiterate so while she is on FB an in crochet groups there it's hard for her to make online friends. So once again we hit the isolated side of her social life. Besides the hoarding that is my number one concern for her.

I'll definitely take your suggestions into thought but I dunno what I can really do to try and get my sisters more active in mom's life.

IN OTHER NEWS

Mom and I spent the last 2 hours discussing ways to redo the furniture in the house after watching a video on youtube. Basically it was a tour of a crafter youtuber's house and she used her dining and living rooms as her craft room, and had a bedroom serve as her tv/living room. Our house is basically one big living room, three bedrooms a bath room and kitchen. Mom got super inspired and wants to do something similar. I'm all for it because it would help force mom to go through stuff in the house and hopefully clear some space up. We also discussed rearranging her bedroom and de-cluttering it a bit too. Right now my fat butt can barely get into her room the way it is cuz the door hits stuff and won't open wide. AAAANY way it's been an interesting night.
ಠ_ಠ
Old Posted 09-14-2018, 06:50 AM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Hey, that's great news! Sounds as if both of you would benefit from such a change, and the house might turn into an awesome hobby cave with a bit of work.
Old Posted 09-14-2018, 09:12 AM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #2915  
Also mom is gonna try calling therapists today about her hoarding too. The place she went to before didn't have anyone who could do hoarding so I went and googled private non-clinical therapists who take our insurance and found two that were local and promising. Sadly we live in an area that is hugely under staffed for mental health and even regular health care providers.

And today I should be ordering myself a cricut, so that will be fun.
ಠ_ಠ
Old Posted 09-14-2018, 03:44 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Ooh, cricut is awesome. Wish you lots of fun there! ^^
Old Posted 09-14-2018, 04:41 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #2917  
-heavy breathing- Ordered my cricut. Now to wait until friggen Tuesday. o no
ಠ_ಠ
Old Posted 09-14-2018, 06:36 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
working on dollstuff...
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 09-14-2018, 11:59 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #2919  
I took the sorting quiz! 8D

"You Are 33% Gryffindor, 29% Slytherin, 20% Hufflepuff, and 18% Ravenclaw!
Like Harry Potter himself, your allegiances definitely lie with Gryffindor, but Slytherin may be a better fit for you than you’d originally think. Your passion for adventure, excitement, and new experiences means that Gryffindor is the perfect place for you. You are fiercely loyal to your closest friends – sometimes even to a fault – and the recklessness and optimism that comes with being a Gryffindor combined with the ambition of Slytherin will ensure that you go far in life.

Your slight compatibility with Hufflepuff house suggests a deep love and appreciation for those close to you, which you may keep hidden for fear of being hurt."

Welp, glad I'm mostly Gryffindor and Slytherin! Though out of the two I would definitely want to join Slytherin.

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 09-15-2018, 08:48 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
I always feel like Slytherin was a really misrepresented/villainized house.
Old Posted 09-15-2018, 09:20 AM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Default   #2921  
That probably came from some characters being total stereotypes. Granted, I stopped reading after the first few books, but Draco for example always came across to me like your typical run-of-the-mill haughty snob bully. Are there even canon Slytherins with personality? (Not neccessarily in a "people I want to be friends with" way, but "well-rounded and understandable in their actions")
Old Posted 09-15-2018, 03:04 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
The real main issue with the stereotyping of the houses is that with the larger quantity of major main characters plus minor main characters, there was already so much going on that it was hard to add in any secondary characters of substance, so it was easier to just make someone fit the generic house stereotype, since their brief cameo appearance, in either book or movie, was not very likely to be memorable anyway.
Old Posted 09-15-2018, 04:02 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #2923  
Mom and I did some cleaning in the spare room today, luckily threw a lot of stuff away and but some in the garage instead of putting it all in the garage.

Mom is super fired up to arrange out house like this:

The rooms with drawn in furniture are the ones we'd be rearranging the blank ones are gonna stay essentially the same.

Edit: Link to lager image

Edit2: I also didn't add the house's windows on accident now that I look at it. x nx
ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Damies; 09-15-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old Posted 09-15-2018, 05:26 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Most likely, yes. Then again it would've been awesome if J.K.Rowling put as much attention to the details of character creation as she did to world building. I enjoyed the overall atmosphere of Hogwarts and the wizarding world, but never could really get into the plot or characters *shrug* tastes in books differ, I guess.
Old Posted 09-15-2018, 05:34 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #2925  
I feel the a bit in opposite way actually. While not every character was that great, I was more impressed by them than I was by her world. Mainly because even though she used real world settings but with a magical twist, it felt too disconnected/isolated almost. Like all the stuff with Voldemort just seemed to have zero impact on the global wizarding world (and yes, while it has been mentioned outside of the books that the world as a whole was impacted by Voldemort's rise and fall sitiation, it wad never really shown in the series at all). And, as I have seen others mention, with so many witches and wizards from muggle families, why was there no influence from the non-maj world? No parents sending their kids with ballpoint pens and notebooks because parchment and quills are outdated and stupid? No muggle refrences that went over the pure-blood's heads? The world in general was okay, but I felt like there were a lot of things that could have been done better/fleshed out more about it. Outside of most aspects of the school itself, the world created just felt kind of half-assed to me.
Old Posted 09-15-2018, 05:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
*nods* you do have a point there with the ball pens.
Old Posted 09-15-2018, 08:25 PM Reply With Quote  
The Magic Number
Default   #2927  
I'd love to read a book though where some mythical creatures/beings have actual influence on world events. As in "World War II actually started as a vampire family squabble" or "wizards took over the alcohol market and mixed experimental potions with booze. Thus prohibition became necessary to protect the muggles".
Death's mule librarian. The difficult we do immediately. The impossible takes a little while longer.
Old Posted 09-15-2018, 09:08 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Yeah, stuff like that would be neat.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 09-16-2018, 02:11 AM Reply With Quote