Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Mother Ship
Default Linux and External Hard Drive   #1  
Look! Another question!

Anyway, I have an external hard drive that I use with windows...I will be getting my laptop back eventually, but it had to have linux put on it, will it read the hard drive or reformat it?

I think it's in FAT32 format.
Old Posted 10-27-2013, 08:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
FAT32 is a good filesystem for compatibility. EVERYTHING can read it. You won't need to reformat it at all and you should have no problems with data loss risk.

On the other hand if it's NTFS it can read it but writing (last time I checked) is slow (and potentially risky, though not too bad).

Edit: I must be curious -- why did your laptop *have* to have Linux put on it?
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 10-27-2013, 09:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #3  
Hard drive crashed and I have no repair disc or anything so my friend had it at his house (so he could see what it was doing and all before determining it was the hard drive) and he put in an old ps3 hard drive. So it was free OS or nothing pretty much (because I don't want to deal with the not authentic windows thing...where they wipe your computer after awhile.)

Edit: And I think we should rename this forum to Coda answers questions XD
Last edited by Yokuutsu; 10-27-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old Posted 10-27-2013, 09:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I was a dedicated Linux user for years before I switched to Mac, so I can say that it's a perfectly good OS for day-to-day use. You'll be fine. :)
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 10-28-2013, 04:45 AM Reply With Quote