Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Zombie Platypus
Question You're a.....   #1  
boy....girl? :confused:
Has anyone ever been in a situation where they just couldn't figure it out?

There was a car accident at my house and I couldn't figure out for 30 mins whether is was a male or female. I even saw the underwear and thought it was a male but finally figured it was a female.

I tend to be good at recognizing cross dressers as well and transsexuals coming from a country where it's common. Ah wells.

Also, anyone ever tried crossdressing?
Old Posted 01-02-2012, 01:40 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I've met a couple people like that. One girl I was sure what a boy. I never did say as much to her face but learned later. Apparently it was that way through all the school because I kept getting asked about her gender (my locker was two away from hers). Sad thought, because it made things hard for her.

There was another person at the same school. Didn't meet them but aside from being really tall s/he had no definable features either way. Masculine-esque eyes, feminine-esque chin, slender body, but no significant hips or shoulders, shoulder length black hair, and a name that could go either way.

Never tried cross-dressing, but I do own a few men's shirts since the women's shirts at the time were hardly inspiring clothing. I've seen cross dressers or trans around, but I can't say how accurate I am at spotting them since I won't know the ones I've missed. ;)
Old Posted 01-02-2012, 03:45 AM Reply With Quote  
gnometastic
Default   #3  
I've multiple friends that get mistaken for the opposite gender. Most are female that get mistaken male, but a couple male that get taken for women. Usually they're okay with the mistakes, though there's been a few rather hilarious(to me) mistakes when they would go to use public restrooms. One resulting in a girly scream of 'I'm a woman!!'

And I'll admit, in a couple of cases I didn't even think to GUESS that they were the other gender. I have a good friend that until I met her for the fourth time did I realize she was in fact female. But since she gets mildly perturbed when people INSIST she's a guy I don't often tell her when someone around makes the mistake.

As to crossdressing, I've done it a few times for costumes, but I really don't fool anyone as I'm well proportioned as a woman. No amount of compression can take it away.
I've gone to look for myself, if I should return before I get back keep me here.

beautiful art by littl3chocobo
Old Posted 01-03-2012, 03:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Lurker of Lurkiness
Heh, I am proud to be neither =P And their's nothing wrong with not being able to tell. Some people (*cough*) don't want others to try to gender them. It makes them feel like in order for you to be happy they have to confine to one or the other =/

As for cross-dressing, ... well I can't really 'cross' if I'm in the middle to begin with ^^; But I have worn both men's clothes and women's clothes. I just wish I could pass better as androgynous. I look too much like my assigned-at-birth gender that people don't even question my gender =/ ... But I want them to, I just can't make them >0<
As fabulous and pretty as they are, Ulti's avatars are always male~

Please use "he"/"him" or "they"/"them" pronouns when referring to me please <3

User since 9-22-10

I love it when people use my Sinopa emotes~ <3
~
Old Posted 01-03-2012, 03:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Default   #5  
I get mistaken for a boy if people look at me from afar.. it's when they come close at talk to me do they realize that i'm a girl.

I never had a problem with telling a male from female.. even with the really pretty asian types that others have trouble with =w=

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 01-03-2012, 04:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
I get mistaken for being female with some frequency, and I'm really not sure why. I suppose long hair + a plethora of leather and steel "jewelry" must somehow equal female... It's usually servers at restaurants, typically when I'm out with my mother we'll get a "hello, ladies" or something to that effect. Only half of them seem to realize their mistake... which prompts even more embarrassment in the form of flustered apologies and in some cases very-much-unwanted rustling of hair. >_<

It doesn't really bother me, though my mother tends to make fun of me when it happens. Oh, well. Not cutting my hair. :p

Do foundation, black nail polish, and colored contacts count as cross-dressing? I have an on-going argument with my father over whether such things are gender-neutral or not.
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 01-03-2012, 05:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Don't Poke The Tiger!
Default   #7  
I've never had issues with people trying to figure out my gender...though age is a completely different thing. >_>; Everyone things I'm like so much younger than I really am. D:!

I'm blunt and direct.
I like to lurk and observe.
Old Posted 01-03-2012, 05:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Hah. Hahahaha. /shot

I've actually gotten a "Thank you, sir" at the museum after I did a demo, haha...That was in the winter when I was wearing a baggy longsleeve under my polo. And then my bf's dad thought I was a boy. And several years ago (I'm short, remember) the waiter at TK Noodles told me that, hey, little boys like fishball soup.

You all should know by now that I care NOTHING for gender conformity crap and gender roles. And I'll blow up if anyone says there's no difference between sex and gender...

Suze, your hair is full of fluffy cuddle-able-ness. Don't cut it >__< And tell your dad they don't.

EDIT: Oh right, and I don't care if people call me "he". I actually find it really amusing. So by all means...go ahead :)

EDIT EDIT: Since I just remembered...my voice goes up an octave when I'm nervous or around teachers, people I don't know well, etc. Usually it's low. Really low.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: GAH. Felt I need to clarify this. For all intents and purposes, my forum-self is a guy. MMO-wise, maybe not so much, but forum-self, yes. -grumbles-
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Last edited by Espy; 01-03-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old Posted 01-03-2012, 05:55 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #9  
Want me to send your dad the notes I made on my Men's costmetic's project? ;). There are brands and such specifically geared towards men. :D

No hair cutting! Well, maybe if it's getting fried on the bottom, then trimming needed (look who's talking...).

Never been mistaken for a boy, but my age posed some issues too. First I was older than people thought, then older than people thought, then both, now I seem to be in the mid range where people are getting it right.

If I had wider shoulders I could possibly wear men's clothes in a passable fashion. My female attributes are't exactly drastic, body wise. I'd probably still end up looking like a woman in men's clothing though.
Old Posted 01-03-2012, 08:17 PM Reply With Quote  
Person, what Person?
I'm female. And most people in real life get that right as I am rather well endowed.
Only as a child was I ever mistaken for a boy at my features as I hated the feminine idea, and constantly wore what is considered 'boy wear'

I think I have a good idea at gender in real life (internet not so much) but I also had many male classmates who enjoyed crossdressing and where quite good at it, so I had to be able to pick out some slight difference in actions to avoid enbarrassing myself.

I have cross-dressed though most of that was while I could. Menaing younger years only, though even now I occasionly break out my male voice and a custom created thing.(I dunno what it is but it makes my figure more masculine and adds a bit to the stomache area to hide what can't be compressed)
Puppy to Asami
Gallagher is Nursy~
Broken Muse is my girlfriend
And Ducky is awesome!

Quote:
That is the general nature of things! An equality, a mutal need!

What? To kill and be killed? To love and to feed? That is what you support! There is no equality between the pet and the master.
-Elizabeth & Jason (From The Thirteenth Season)
Last edited by DarkForbidden-Love; 01-03-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old Posted 01-03-2012, 08:28 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #11  
My mom used to buy my sister and I boys wear all the time, given that she used to think the girls wear was uncreative so often, especially when it was all pink and lace. It hardly mattered when we were 10. ;).

I guess I didn't have much of an idea of gender roles really, since my mom never cared, and two of my sisters were serous tomboys. We had tonka trucks and plastic bows and arrows to play with alongside my little ponies and such. I liked my toy horses while my sister liked her rubber snakes and bugs. Stuff being non-girly never really came up.
Old Posted 01-03-2012, 08:36 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
I am Female, and it is hard to mistake it but a friend of mine from elementary school is now transgender. He is still completing the process, but since middle school people have thought he was male. I remember being in our gym locker room and he walked in and the subsitute teacher freaked out. He had to pull up his shirt to show that yes he did have breasts (he wears a compression bra for his A/B cups so it is really hard to tell).
Old Posted 01-03-2012, 08:45 PM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
Default   #13  
There is a person that works at a K-mart here who looks that they could be either, and they have a name that could work either way. They have a 5 o'clock shadow, breasts, and somewhat feminine appearance. The breasts could be due to the fact that they are rather overweight, but it doesn't change the fact that I have no idea what gender they are.
Call me Ath!

Old Posted 01-07-2012, 11:30 AM Reply With Quote  
Poconut Overlord
I've seen a couple people in passing, and a few times fellow coworkers. But the turn-over is so high that I really only get to see them in passing.

Not to be rude to those who choose not to conform to gender or anything...but it bothers me when I don't know what pronoun to use when talking or referring to a person. Just like I got a friend named Brendan/Brandon/Brennan idk. He WON'T tell me. Annoys the shit out of me that I may not be saying his name right. It may not matter to him but it does matter to me I say the correct name... u_u

Again I didn't mean to be offensive by saying the above. I don't care how a person feels about their gender. I just want to know which on they would prefer I call them. Giving me a "I don't care" creates an emotional dilemma for me I haven't learned to get over. Wish I could. For now at least I don't know any in person.
Old Posted 01-07-2012, 03:27 PM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
Default   #15  
Yeah, I know that feeling Juju. I don't want to refer to someone as 'they' constantly because I don't know how else to refer to them. I don't think many would be offended by what you've said. I don't see it as rude or anything, I see it as making a point that may help to open someones eyes on the site as to how uncomfortable something like that can be.
Call me Ath!

Old Posted 01-07-2012, 06:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Mr. Halloween
To be honest, This is no way to offend. I have the same problem... but there is an easier way to tell... if you look at their body types. Women tend to have wider hips... than girly men, which is usualy what I go off by.

(On the internet ... I get mistaken for a girl by the name Honey/Hoenybun >.>)
On phone at points sorry for any spelling born grammar mistakes.
Old Posted 01-07-2012, 07:07 PM Reply With Quote