Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

CHEEZBURGER?!
Default Cybernetics, the way forward?   #1  
This video is an interview with the leading researcher into cybernetics about his experiements.

Do you think that humans will agree to artificial evolution?
Would you want an implant like this?
If you got an implant imbedded into your nervous system what would you want ti to enable you to do?

I think this raises a lot of interesting ethical questions. :3
Old Posted 06-20-2011, 05:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
It's a tricky subject of course.. I think with the right direction it can be a big help. Look at pacemakers for instance, helping weak hearts beat correctly. But of course, when we start looking into ways to make people "more than human" then we see, say, wartime applications which I don't really agree with. Despite the fact that things made for war can certainly help on a peacetime level, making supersoldiers is not something that interests me at all...

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 06-20-2011, 09:36 PM Reply With Quote  
CHEEZBURGER?!
Default   #3  
Serra, I think that cybernetics would be a good thing for people who have lost a limb or have nerve damage. But I agree that trying to create a superior human being is going to have it's downsides... It'll probably be very expensive, for starters. So only the priviliged will get to use it.
Old Posted 06-20-2011, 09:45 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Yes Beff, just like every new medical treatment it would be expensive :x I'd like to believe that some people will just use it for good purposes like repairing nerve damage and replacing limbs, but I also know that some enterprising souls are going to try to find a use for "normal" people, and then on to offensive applications. Maybe I'm just a pessimist in this sense ><

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 06-20-2011, 09:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Be afraid.
Default   #5  
didnt you guys ever watch transformers!?!?

the cybernetics will become self-aware and kill us all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem View Post
It was Ashy's abs that brought us forth

Gallagher is my eternal nemesis
I have Fen's Boobs
Nexy's Wench
Old Posted 06-20-2011, 10:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Yeesh... The more I see of what technology is turning into, the more nervous I become about the possibility of the Singularity actually coming to fruition. As crazy as it might sound, allowing cybernetics into our bodies seems like a clear path toward technology developing a consciousness of its own.
Old Posted 06-21-2011, 04:41 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
Default   #7  
well at this point it is unavoidable, we found out how to use organic materials and look what we have done, the knowlede that a mechanical substitute is now on the horizen has pretty much desided that it will happen regardless of our, the laymen's, feelings on the matter
Old Posted 06-21-2011, 04:51 AM Reply With Quote  
CHEEZBURGER?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serra Britt View Post
Yes Beff, just like every new medical treatment it would be expensive :x I'd like to believe that some people will just use it for good purposes like repairing nerve damage and replacing limbs, but I also know that some enterprising souls are going to try to find a use for "normal" people, and then on to offensive applications. Maybe I'm just a pessimist in this sense ><
There are always gonna be people who use new technlogies to help themselves and hinder others... That's, unfortunately, the way of the world. :C Kinda makes you sad to be human.

Ashy, Or iRobot. Or any other film with robots in it. xD IT's a big fear apparently.

Cupcake, I only heard about Singularity used in this context recently. I always thoght it ad something to do with black holes. D: I think we are a long way off from a robot having the same capacity to carry out conscious actions as humans. But having a human controlling a robot is no better, really.

chocobo, Hopefully it will be a slow process and we won't see the anihillation of organic life!
Old Posted 06-21-2011, 09:44 AM Reply With Quote