Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Hakuna matata
Default Magic the Gathering? Anyone?   #1  
So, a friend of mine introduced me to Magic last year and I have been playing ever since...unfortunately hardly anyone else plays and we only really know each other in school and card games are a no no. In any case I started this thread for anyone out there who plays the game as well and wants to talk cards, decks, strategy, or just flame the newest Planeswalker for being too OP.
Evil Overlord List- #7

When I've captured my adversary and he says, "Look, before you kill me, will you at least tell me what this is all about?" I'll say, "No." and shoot him. No, on second thought I'll shoot him then say "No."

The Wraith Knight

Old Posted 05-03-2011, 08:06 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I used to play quite a bit though not anymore. I'm getting out the game and am getting rid of the bulk of my cards though I'm still keeping my decks and am collecting the odd card now and then, I'm not buying anything new though.

I was introduced by a school friend when Ice Age first came out which was around 1994? Not sure. I've been on an off the game since but didn't start really playing with other people until the Mirroden block came out. I had the same problem with not knowing anyone else who played the game. Eventually I moved to a new town and found a game store that held weekly Friday Night Magic games. (FNM it's usually called). You might try searching stores and such in your area to see if any are hosting FNM nights as well.

I've seen the new planeswalker guys but I don't have any and haven't really bothered to look for them. That's Jace in your sig, isn't it?

Even though I don't actively play anymore I still collect some things. I have a collection of Sphinxes that I'm trying to finish. Goliath Sphinx is one I'm missing but I've never bothered to get teh deck he comes with. I'd rather have the proper card than a promo one from a deck pack. I'm also trying to get the entire set of Cold Snap simply because I have a soft spot for it. It was the third, unreleased part of Ice Age block.

What sort of colours do you like to play? My favourite it usually green or blue but I have decks that are white/green, black/red, blue/red, and formerly one black/blue though I took that one appart. I was trying to build one that is all blue and another that was green/red/blue but could never get my hands on the cards I wanted.
Old Posted 05-03-2011, 06:54 PM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
Default   #3  
I only ever play monochrome, more reliable to me...but yeah it's Jace in my sig, the only FNM is 45 minutes away...but when I can drive on my own that would certainly be worth it. I play a White Angel, Black Vampire, and Blue Mind-Breaker
Evil Overlord List- #7

When I've captured my adversary and he says, "Look, before you kill me, will you at least tell me what this is all about?" I'll say, "No." and shoot him. No, on second thought I'll shoot him then say "No."

The Wraith Knight

Old Posted 05-03-2011, 08:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
I used to play it a lot but the last time I moved something happened and they all vanished somehow :/ I do have a program I can use to play it online, basically just a representation of the cards. I think it was called "Apprentice"
Old Posted 05-03-2011, 09:36 PM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
Default   #5  
that sucks. hardcore.
Evil Overlord List- #7

The Wraith Knight

Old Posted 05-03-2011, 09:51 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I know there's Magic Online but I'm too fond of paper cards to play. I've was going to make a vampire deck and did pick up some add-ins but tossed the idea. I wanted to make a blue/black deck based around Szadek, but never managed that either. If you aren't familiar, he's a vampire from Ravnica that deals damage by way of card discard from the opponents library. His power doubles each time that happens. He's a royal pain to get into play but once he's there he does major damage.

My other decks are white/green life gain, Black/red rat deck, and red/blue 90% block constructed deck for ColdSnap (the other 10% is for the 2x Steam Vents I put in because they were too good to pass up).
Old Posted 05-03-2011, 10:26 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Default   #7  
I had so many decks, it was a hobby of mine to pick a wierd theme and make a deck around it. Sometimes it worked...and sometimes it didn't. I didn't really have a color preference, I just used whatever the crazy idea called for xD
If not for the fact I could be selling those Magic cards right now to earn me some money the fact they got lost doesn't hurt me so much, I ended up not having anyone to play with anymore so they just sat in the closet in boxes and binders not being used.
Old Posted 05-04-2011, 02:11 AM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
My black is built around Sorin Markov and his final ability, which is to control your opponent's next turn. Basically I get enough of my vampire crew on the field and then I drain away all your life until I can use his ability to make you eviscerate yourself
Evil Overlord List- #7

The Wraith Knight

Old Posted 05-04-2011, 11:27 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #9  
I asked around about picking up a couple of planeswalker cards for my collection, but for the most part they were more than I wanted to pay or trade for. I bought a playset of Kalitas, Bloodchief though, because I like Todd Lockwood's art.

I actually did attempt to make a deck entirely of cards with Richard Kane Fergusen artwork, but never did get my hands on enough of then, and the couple my friend had, he wouldn't trade me! rawr! (Except for cards I wasn't willing to part with. Go figure. I'm sure he thought the same thing).
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 05-06-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old Posted 05-06-2011, 10:08 PM Reply With Quote  
Dazed
I play with a few friends now and again. I've been trying to update my mean spec sliver deck, but unfortunately time and money are lacking. A friend of mine has like 6 or 7 decks based off the new planeswalkers and I can honestly say I've never hated cards more since phage was first played on me.

I think I started playing magic about 2001. I was aware of the cards since the early nineties but never got into the game myself. Being that it was long before my generation I grew up playing Pokemon and yugioh cards instead. Once I started playing Magic, and realized the diversity of it I decided to play a little more hard core. I used to have an MTG online thing that you could update the firmware with the card packs, and even add your own cards, which allowed for quite a range of online diverse games, but you really have to trust the people you play or they could just cheat and walk over you.

Speaking of Magic, does anyone know a website I can use to quickly cross reference cards? I'm thinking if I get some money put aside I want to start up my old red gobo deck again but I traded/sold most of my old cards.
Old Posted 05-10-2011, 06:17 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Default   #11  
http://www.magic-league.com/download/apprentice.php I'm almost certain this is the program you're thinking of Calendros. I remember using it to play with friends a while back.
And I dunno about "quck" cross referencing, but this is the site I used to use to keep up with rule changes and the like: http://www.crystalkeep.com/magic/
Old Posted 05-10-2011, 07:51 PM Reply With Quote  
Dazed
Apprentice is it. That's what I used to use. The lack of multiple parties playing though kind of restricted the use of it.

Someone I know had mentioned a website that you can just enter something about the card, be it colour, type, whatever it is you had for it and it would pull up related cards. I'll have to ask around what it is. When I find it I'll post it so you guys can see too.
Old Posted 05-11-2011, 07:49 AM Reply With Quote  
Celestial Princess
Default   #13  
Magic the Gathering is the best. I personally love Mono-black life drain!
I amGREED, Fall before me!
Old Posted 05-17-2011, 05:56 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
My rats are dear to me. I love them :D
Old Posted 05-17-2011, 11:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Celestial Princess
Default   #15  
Kamigawa rats? Or other?
I amGREED, Fall before me!
Old Posted 05-18-2011, 09:27 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
My rat deck is mostly kamigawa rats since Marrow-Gnawer is dandy along with Nezumi Gravedigger, but I also run Pestilence Rats from Ice age and have some plague rats in the side deck. Unfortunately I only managed to get 2 or 3 relentless rats ever.
Old Posted 05-18-2011, 10:42 PM Reply With Quote