Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Posty McPostsALot
Default Alice: Madness Returns   #1  

If any of you have played the original American Mcgee's Alice game, you must be jumping up with joy at this thread. That's right, there's a sequel.
It was released June 14th 2011. I had completely forgot about it's upcoming release until I saw it in a Future Shop.
Anyways. It is not only made for computers. It is also available on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 ( I think ).
The graphics look amazing, in the commercial and in the game. It's also even more twisted than the first one, from a quick look.
Here are some trailers:
1, and 2.

Opinions?
Do you like what they have done with the story of Alice in Wonderland? In my opinion, this is how Tim Burton's film should have been, sick and twisted.

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 07-20-2011, 07:29 PM Reply With Quote  
The Rose Prince
Oooo Alice Madness Returns
Great and beautiful game, specially if you are into art like I am.
The concept art and all the scenery and inventions/monsters and alice's dresses are amazingggg! I loved just looking out at the art from afar (they have an option where you can just look out at the world so I did that a lot)
The combat/gameplay is also really awesome :D
I loved being able to glide and upgrading my weapons like the vorpal blade and the hobby horse <3 however by the time I reached the last chapter (which is by far the longest) I had upgraded all my weapons to the max which was a little disappointing that there weren't more upgrades.
The story was alright. It didn't make too much sense until the very end, and the ending was very disappointing I am sorry to say. Also, having Alice talk in complete gibberish when the Chesire cat was trying to give her good advice didn't help either. I know she is trying to be insane but even in the london scenes nothing really made sense. Along with the memories collected. If you haven't played the first game you'd be out of the loop a lil bit

However overall it is a really amazing game specially if you are into dark and twisted stuff and have a soft spot for really great amazing art.
Also it was fun to see a dark twist on wonderland. The darkest one yet
You should totally get it and play it :> Got it when it first came out, played it three day straight and beat it. Now it is nightmare mode for me :D
Old Posted 07-20-2011, 10:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Default   #3  
I... Already made a thread for this... =(
Old Posted 07-20-2011, 11:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeDolly View Post
I... Already made a thread for this... =(

I didn't see your thread, I took a quick look and missed it. I'm sorry.

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 07-21-2011, 10:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by princeofrose View Post
Oooo Alice Madness Returns
Great and beautiful game, specially if you are into art like I am.
The concept art and all the scenery and inventions/monsters and alice's dresses are amazingggg! I loved just looking out at the art from afar (they have an option where you can just look out at the world so I did that a lot)
The combat/gameplay is also really awesome :D
I loved being able to glide and upgrading my weapons like the vorpal blade and the hobby horse <3 however by the time I reached the last chapter (which is by far the longest) I had upgraded all my weapons to the max which was a little disappointing that there weren't more upgrades.
The story was alright. It didn't make too much sense until the very end, and the ending was very disappointing I am sorry to say. Also, having Alice talk in complete gibberish when the Chesire cat was trying to give her good advice didn't help either. I know she is trying to be insane but even in the london scenes nothing really made sense. Along with the memories collected. If you haven't played the first game you'd be out of the loop a lil bit

However overall it is a really amazing game specially if you are into dark and twisted stuff and have a soft spot for really great amazing art.
Also it was fun to see a dark twist on wonderland. The darkest one yet
You should totally get it and play it :> Got it when it first came out, played it three day straight and beat it. Now it is nightmare mode for me :D

I looked at some trailers, video reviews, screencaps, those kind of things. The sceneries look amazing and beautiful... and so detailed. They have things that you would never think of putting. It makes me so giddy.

I have not played the first game, but have looked it up and have an understanding of it. However... is it that big of a problem? Let's say I pretty read what happens, would that make the second game make more sense to me? Or?... o Ao;;
I really want it. If anything... I'll go out and buy a second hand copy or brand new copy of the first game. It looks good as well.

AND YESSS. The dark and twisted side of Wonderland, I love it. That's how you think it should me, well... I do.

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 07-21-2011, 10:25 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
...The first game comes with the second game. On the PS3 version, at least.

The first game is darker, IMO. The second has beautiful graphics but is a bit more... childish, it seems. For example: First game when you die, you get earsplitting and agonizing screams. Second game when you die, Alice bursts into a cloud of butterflies.
Old Posted 07-22-2011, 05:16 AM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #7  

Oh, I could see how that could be less violent and more childish. Screams, then instead she bursts in to butterflies.
I guess the first game would also come with the second for the Xbox. - nod -
I'll have to look it up though.

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 07-22-2011, 11:22 PM Reply With Quote  
The Rose Prince
LOL CHILDISH? Yes dying is childish but have you seen the insane aslyum? The doll house? I mean you walk into a dolls vagina XD I think thats not childish lol
They have guts and blood all that stuff. The red Queen's level? That is about as gruesome as you can get.
They are just making Alice beautiful which I assume she could be beacuse it is her wonderland anyways. This game is definitely violent.

I didn't play the first one either (but I started now) And I understood the story but ONLY near the end. The ending was a big disappointment I must say. It was so disappointing that my friend said "Thats a disappointing ending" And I laughed at him going "Pft, thats not the ending! That would be a super lame ending there is more to the game"
*credits roll*
Me: "Oh....well then..."
Old Posted 07-22-2011, 11:52 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #9  

Awh, that's shitt. I hate horrible endings to good games. It's like watching a movie and it ends... but it shouldn't.
AND LOL, I better watch when I play it then. My mom might walk by, she doesn't really give a shit but she'll make her comments. But my dad is pretty old-fashioned and strict. I'll have to play it when he's out at work and pause when he walks by.. I guess it depends what I'm doing in the game.
Thankfully the Xbox is downstairs, so... yeah.

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 07-23-2011, 12:42 AM Reply With Quote  
Cheeky Monkey
I saw an ad for it and it looked like it would be good, but I'd like to play the first one. Anyone know where I can pick up a copy of the first one.

-Hiatus-
Leave a message.
Old Posted 07-29-2011, 07:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #11  

You could probably find it second hand in EB Games or Gamestop or whatever game stores you have that hold second hand games. If you have an Xbox you can download the original game for the Xbox 360. I believe so. I think I saw it... same for the PlayStation 3. You could probably purchase the original for the computer online even.

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 07-29-2011, 08:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Cupcake told me you can download the first one for free if you buy the second one for PS3.

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 07-29-2011, 09:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Default   #13  
Yeah, I mentioned that in this thread. I also mentioned that I already made an Alice thread. With the exact same title. <_< But apparently that doesn't matter.

The first game is probably going to be a bitch to find until the hype from the second dies down. I downloaded a copy online just to brush up for the release on the second, and felt no guilt about it, since I bought the first game brand-new when it first came out.

I SOMEWHAT like the second game so far, but I have to constantly stop and take mental breaks from it because I roll my eyes too hard at times. Seems that the creators are pandering to the Pirates and Ninjas fad on a couple of parts instead of staying true to the world of Wonderland, and that just makes me sad... Despite the old-school graphics of the first, the environment just seemed so much better to me.
Old Posted 07-29-2011, 11:13 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
So I got this game and I'm playing through the first one first cause I never got a chance to get it for a pc, and so far I'm loving it.
the controls are a little weird cause it was a PC game turned console... but...
The storyline makes up for it I think.
"It's in the stars.
It's been written in the scars on our hearts.

Your head is running wild again, my dear.
We still have everythin'.
We're not broken, just bent.
I'll fix it for us.
Our love's enough. "
Old Posted 07-30-2011, 01:18 AM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #15  
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeDolly View Post
Yeah, I mentioned that in this thread. I also mentioned that I already made an Alice thread. With the exact same title. <_< But apparently that doesn't matter.

The first game is probably going to be a bitch to find until the hype from the second dies down. I downloaded a copy online just to brush up for the release on the second, and felt no guilt about it, since I bought the first game brand-new when it first came out.

I SOMEWHAT like the second game so far, but I have to constantly stop and take mental breaks from it because I roll my eyes too hard at times. Seems that the creators are pandering to the Pirates and Ninjas fad on a couple of parts instead of staying true to the world of Wonderland, and that just makes me sad... Despite the old-school graphics of the first, the environment just seemed so much better to me.

If it's really that big of a problem then just get a mod to close this one. I didn't mean to upset you or offend you. I'm sorry that I didn't see your thread, I scrolled throughout this forum, saw no thread and I was eager to make one about the video game.

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 07-30-2011, 02:22 AM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizeria View Post
So I got this game and I'm playing through the first one first cause I never got a chance to get it for a pc, and so far I'm loving it.
the controls are a little weird cause it was a PC game turned console... but...
The storyline makes up for it I think.

I'm considering purchasing the game for the PS3 instead of the Xbox 360 because I do want to get a hold of the original game. Though, I'm pretty sure that you can do the same for the Xbox 360. I'll have to confirm it.

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 07-30-2011, 02:23 AM Reply With Quote