Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Developer
Default   #49  
Quote:
Originally Posted by littl3chocobo View Post
actually no. neanderthals were very far north and persons with african-decended genetics have 0 neanderthal dna in them, asian-decended genetics are also in the slim-to-none department

neanderthals were a different species of animal than humans(though not too much that we could not breed). in fact it is speculated that part of how they went to extinction so fast is that they bred into the human population and bred themselves out. to be fair though they were a dying species anyway XD their size and calorie needs were too excessive

well, i can do legit pixels so if you wanted i could give you flats, outlines, and basic shading if you want to smooth them out though they would look more like call of glory
Homo neandertalensis descended from Homo heidelbergensis which originated in Africa and migrated outward before changing enough to be considered a distinct species. Species aren't cleanly little well-defined things, it's a big messy gradient (which is why neanderthals could breed with humans) and saying "this is where this species turned into a different species" can't be done with any kind of precision.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-24-2015, 02:34 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
fair enough but you can at least see that by the time the two branches came back together there was enough distinction between the two that they could not be considered the same creature and that some actual genetic differences had occurred

ok, so i wrote out a long reply to your inability to admit that there is possibility for convergent evolution in humans as opposed to it just being throwback genetics from a common ancestor and how many hundreds of thousands of years of constant evolutionary change without cross-breeding does lend to different species but i feel that you will just continue in your direction and so would like to end it here; you can feel how you feel about things but assuredly you will never convince me that genetic divergence in species is not relevant when defining genetic liniage and a neanderthal is divergent enough from it's ancestors to be it's own species and that offspring between two species that display traits that are not present in one species or active in the other is a sign of convergence NOT atavism
Old Posted 11-25-2015, 02:59 AM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
Default   #51  
... And item requests thread become a genetics discussion thread.

What a twist. Is M. Night Shamalamadingdong behind this?

Old Posted 11-25-2015, 03:07 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
no because there are no TWISTS, just old men talk between (probably?) not old men X'''D
Old Posted 11-25-2015, 03:14 AM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Default   #53  
Umm...
Soooo...
How 'bout them items? ^^;;
Old Posted 11-25-2015, 03:18 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
i'd be stoked for a skirt or dress that came all the way down to the floor and did not have huge stupid sleeves XD
Old Posted 11-25-2015, 03:22 AM Reply With Quote  
Wayward Victorian Doll
Default   #55  
Yeah, the sleeves on some of the items tend to interfere with layering possibilities.
Old Posted 11-25-2015, 03:26 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Actually, you've totally misread me. I'm not arguing that point. The only thing I'm saying is that the kinky-hair gene originated in Africa. It's definitely NOT atavism.

Yes. It's possible that the kinky-hair gene arose from two separate de novo mutations. It doesn't seem likely, though -- kinky hair is evolutionarily advantageous in equatorial climates and disadvantageous in northern European climates, mostly to do with UV light absorption (kinky hair blocks more).

What seems more likely according to the research I've read is that it's actually STRAIGHT hair that happened twice. Homo erectus had straight hair, and developed the kinky hair mutation in sub-Saharan Africa. When part of that population migrated into Asia, that gene mutated into the thicker straight hair seen in east Asians compared to the thinner straight hair seen in Europeans.

It should be noted that the kinky-hair gene is dominant. That means a population of straight-haired individuals will not have kinky-haired offspring, but a population of kinky-haired individuals can carry either of the straight-hair genes. Given the relative advantages of the two hair types, kinky hair would have been bred out in favor of thin straight hair as humans spread northward, until the gene was reintroduced by hybridization with the other branch of hominids that spread previously into Europe via Asia.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-25-2015, 03:39 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
Default   #57  
Alright guys, let's keep this on topic please <3 there are other forums for deep discussions. I am getting nervous about wading through lengthy discussions when trying to find item requests so I am going to start putting them on the front post ouo

Old Posted 11-25-2015, 04:47 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
fair enough i will not use this thread to debate off-topic stuff X''D
Old Posted 11-25-2015, 04:50 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #59  
Ehe. ^^() Sorry. And here I am supposedly a mod. >.>;

Old Posted 11-25-2015, 04:50 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
It's ok *gives everyone pats*

^u^

Old Posted 11-25-2015, 04:51 AM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #61  
How about Hawaiian-style shirts and dresses for both genders? I know we have the flower shirt, but that doesn't "Look" Hawaiian to me.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 11-25-2015, 05:41 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
ooo~ non-gendered dresses ;3; those would be nice
Old Posted 11-25-2015, 05:45 AM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
Default   #63  
Quote:
Originally Posted by littl3chocobo View Post
ooo~ non-gendered dresses ;3; those would be nice
o.e What are non-gendered dresses?

I know of kilts, but dresses?

Old Posted 11-25-2015, 01:05 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
dresses that are not limited to female avatars and are not overly dependant on tits XD
Old Posted 11-25-2015, 01:19 PM Reply With Quote