Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Forward Thinker
Default A first look: New Avatar Editor   #1  
As I believe most everybody's already aware, I've been working on a shiny new editor for the site.

And today, I wish to tell you:

It's nearly done!

It's close enough to being done, in fact, that I'm going to make it publicly available as of now.

Before I get to the link, though, I want to make sure you're well aware: This editor is not finished. There is a considerable amount of styling that still needs refining, and there are several missing features.

The features not present are:
  • Removing Items from the layers tab. (You must click them in the list under the avatar)
  • Hiding portions of the body base
  • Most of the item category tabs are empty, because we have not gone through and tagged items with the relevant information yet: Only the things under the provisionally-titled "All" category will work, and they are by acquisition method. Well, those and the "Body" tab.
  • Item Search: Type in the name, see the item.
  • Tutorials: Before I declare this finished, it will walk new users (or returning ones who want the tutorial) through the various features and actions.

Okay, got it?

Have a look!

v v v v v v
> The New Avatar Editor <
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

So why, you ask, would you care about some new editor? It's the same avatar, right?

Well, it is. But there are a few improvements here, providing a couple new options for display, making it so that item poses aren't put in a tiny box you have to squint at, having the editor be reasonably sized in a mobile window and...

Closets.

Oh yes. That totally works.

At the present preview state, I am not offering the option to expand your closet beyond 4 slots, but that will be an option in the near future.

Also, the icons in the closet are terrible. So...sorry 'bout that.

In the Closet, there are 4 things you can do with an outfit:
  • Add to Avatar - Takes the outfit and puts all its items on top of what you have there. So, you can save a face style you like, and plop that onto any new avatar
  • Replace Avatar - Removes your current avatar settings, and replaces them with the outfit. This includes base & facing.
  • Put Avatar Here - Save what's on your avatar in this slot.
  • Delete - Clears out the slot.

You can also name the outfit by clicking its name and typing. Push enter to save the name.

The old avatar editor will remain active and the default link until this one has a few more important bits, and the major known issues are all resolved.

Known Issues:
  • Items that do not have appropriately gendered poses (there are few) end up with a blank popup
  • Loading isn't very graceful--you'll occasionally see text that doesn't apply while things load up
  • Closet images don't refresh properly on iOS Safari
  • Dragging to resort layering on mobile is...rather broken. (It works, but the browsers try to scroll as you drag. Awkward.)
  • Layer buttons for move up/down & remove are missing from Layers tab.

Tell me what you think, and if you run into any weird problems!
Old Posted 02-07-2017, 10:23 AM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
I'm really liking the item stacks. =) Even the common items where you have to buy the different colors are stacked =o nice!

I can't way to have the finished editor! Keep up the good work ^-^

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 02-07-2017, 11:24 AM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
Default   #3  
Yes, thank you for the stacks! T-T

Old Posted 02-07-2017, 11:28 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
nooooooooo T^T i have work to do today and can't diddle with the new avi creator!
Old Posted 02-07-2017, 01:29 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Default   #5  
*Just accidentally deleted outfit* Yeah this is going to need a tutorial
Old Posted 02-07-2017, 02:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
I feel like the screen isn't loading properly on my phone? Whether due to not being finished or just my phone, I'm unsure...
Dragging to re-sort layering actually seems to work exceedingly well on my phone.
The only things I'm noticing that coukd be problematic is that not all items remove when I try to remove them...(Slip Dress isn't) and it looks like I should have more tabs to the right, but I can't scroll over. (Will try to screenshot and upload pic later when I have a wifi connection.)

So after typing all this, I went back and refreshed the page and all the save, delete, etc buttons loaded properly. But it still looks like I should be able to scroll right a bit in the item tabs even though I can't and now the item layering doesn't work. I can drag and drop stuff, but the item always just drops to the bottom of the list.
Last edited by Kaderin Triste; 02-07-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old Posted 02-07-2017, 02:36 PM Reply With Quote  
Heavenly Angel
Default   #7  
I was looking for a closet, when I had my angelic avatar...T.T
Old Posted 02-07-2017, 02:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Once the technical details are ironed out, I'll be helping Toho with polishing up the interface. We've both got ideas, and mobile web UIs are what I do for a living.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-07-2017, 03:34 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Default   #9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
I was looking for a closet, when I had my angelic avatar...T.T
Save your current and them remake your angelic???
Old Posted 02-07-2017, 03:59 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
The old avatar thingy freezes when I try to change layers. Actually, it doesn't freeze, stuff just disappears or gets stuck in place and nothing changes.

The new one when I press "revert" moves something in the back layer originally 2nd to last up top.

(This is on a pc)

Why are there "face in/out" and "face left/right"? Why not just one click thing each :o?

Lol xD. The the "OMG" tab is funny.

Last edited by Potironette; 02-07-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old Posted 02-07-2017, 04:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Default   #11  
Revert changes your Avatar to your last saved (AKA what is shown on screen) Version. Save what you are working on and then try the Revert to see if it does that again.
Old Posted 02-07-2017, 04:30 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Still does it, unfortunately D:

^turns into that
EDIT: Now the original avatar creator does it too. Is my avatar's face really not layered the way I think it's layered :o?

(The being able to click on a new pose before deleting is really useful!)

Last edited by Potironette; 02-07-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old Posted 02-07-2017, 04:37 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Default   #13  
Okay, so it seems I messed up the configuration of the old editor some without realizing it. I'll have that corrected in a bit.

"OMG" is actually "OMG EVERYTHING," but that's too big, so the second word is hidden. :P

face in/out/left/right is that way because you'll notice the direction avatars face varies by post. "in" and "out" is to keep the flipping, "left" and "right" is "always the same." Also affects how the avatar is displayed in the header.

Bonus bug in the shops relating to facing if you use it, btw.

I'll check on the revert settings, I'll get that fixed.

Once the old editor's config problem is corrected (soon), you can use its revert if you're worried.
Old Posted 02-07-2017, 04:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Nope it is appearing that way on your Profile page.

Toho found the issue on the old one and is working on fixing it.
Old Posted 02-07-2017, 04:43 PM Reply With Quote  
petite fantaisiste
Default   #15  
Quote:
face in/out/left/right is that way because you'll notice the direction avatars face varies by post. "in" and "out" is to keep the flipping, "left" and "right" is "always the same." Also affects how the avatar is displayed in the header.

Bonus bug in the shops relating to facing if you use it, btw.
Err, keep the flipping means..the facing in the posts would change? What do you mean by same and and not same..?

I wish I could see that bug xD

Last edited by Potironette; 02-07-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old Posted 02-07-2017, 04:55 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
"face in" is what avatars normally do.

"face out" is the reverse (look away from your post).

"face left" is...face left.

"face right" is the opposite.
Old Posted 02-07-2017, 05:12 PM Reply With Quote