Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Mother Ship
Default   #17  
My name doesn't exist, male or female version.
Old Posted 05-16-2016, 11:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
What does your name mean? Maybe one of us can help you find something equivalent. That's what I had to do for "Coda" -- obviously it's not on the list anywhere but I found a name meaning "end" and that's certainly what a coda is in music.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 05-16-2016, 11:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
Default   #19  
Well I just found out my daughter's name would be Saerwen Tirananniel. And mine is Yáviel Manwathiel. Oh, and our family name would be Baramaethor. That's a bit like Baratheon, maybe we should try for the Iron Throne!
Last edited by Witchchylde; 05-17-2016 at 02:09 PM. Reason: added more information
Old Posted 05-17-2016, 02:03 PM Reply With Quote  
L.E.D Sheep
Mine is Erurainon because apparently Sean is simply the Irish variant of the name John. I had no idea!

Gaius isn't on the list and I couldn't find anything like it, but it means "to rejoice" and Joy is Alassiel, so I suppose it would be something like Alasson?
Old Posted 05-18-2016, 12:14 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
Default   #21  
My full name is not on the list so I looked up the name everyone actually calls me

Caladhiel
(Kah-lah-thee-ell)

it means light! I feel like that is really sweet <3

also my oc's name is caldazar and it sounds similar!

Old Posted 05-18-2016, 02:25 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Glitch, your sig is weirdly hypnotic.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 05-18-2016, 10:52 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
Default   #23  
Yes, Sakamoto-kun is 100% hypnotic and amazing <3

Old Posted 05-18-2016, 01:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Eh, I was just going by my actual name...which doesn't really have any kind of meaning XD

Except short for a boy's name pretty much >-<
Old Posted 05-18-2016, 02:24 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #25  
Well, what does the boy's name mean?

Old Posted 05-18-2016, 02:55 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
The boy's version is Robert. (Well, the non-shortened version)
Old Posted 05-20-2016, 09:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #27  
"Robert" means "fame" (rob) + "bright" (bert). Etymologically it could also be related to "glory."

"Roberta" is on the list as "Calminaiel." I'm a little dubious of the derivation, but it works if you're not trying to push your way into a die-hard Tolkien convention. (It says it means "bright distinction" but the structure of the word sounds more like "distinctive light".)

The other site lists "Alcarcalime" as the translation of "Roberta", breaking it down into "alcar" glory/brilliance and "calima" light and then inflecting it as a feminine name.

I'd go for "Alcare" if your name is derived from the "rob" part of "Robert". If it's derived from the "bert" part, there's a whole bunch of possible choices you could go for -- stuff derived from "light" (Calie, Calme, Calde, Calien, Calmea, Caldea) or "bright" (Calima, Calime, Calimie) would all be appropriate.

If you like the "glory" way of going about it, "Gloria" is "Aglariel" on one list and "Alcare" (pronounced "al-CAH-ray" if I'm not mistaken) on the other.

Old Posted 05-20-2016, 10:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Rainbows and stuff
Well my biological name is Chiret pronounced sure-et. In Hebrew it means graceful charity. But I still can't find anything.
~*~*~*~*~*~ ♥...If you will have me we shall be...♥~*~*~*~*~*~
~*~*~*~*~*~♥ ...Together forever and a day...♥ ~*~*~*~*~*~
Old Posted 05-22-2016, 08:27 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #29  
That's a little surprising given that "Charity" is a not-uncommon girls' name. But hitting up a dictionary, "Faile" or "Failie" would be the best feminine name I can find; it means "generosity".

EDIT: On the other hand, "Grace" is easily found as "Eruanna." If it matters to you, "eru" is similar to Hebrew "el" (both meaning "God"). I'm not 100% sure of a euphonic way to combine the two names, though... "Faileanna" perhaps would capture the full meaning of your name?

EDIT 2: Cross-checked another dictionary. "Eruanna" breaks down to "gift of God" so "Faileanna" would mean "gift of generosity" or possibly "generous gift" which is a pretty name in its own right but it rather significantly changes the meaning. "Manáfaile" or "Failalissë" are other options, meaning "generous grace (in the sense of a blessing)" and "sweetness (in the way that grace is sweet) of generosity" although I'm not 100% sure the latter is correctly inflected for a feminine name.

Old Posted 05-22-2016, 11:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
"Robert" means "fame" (rob) + "bright" (bert). Etymologically it could also be related to "glory."

"Roberta" is on the list as "Calminaiel." I'm a little dubious of the derivation, but it works if you're not trying to push your way into a die-hard Tolkien convention. (It says it means "bright distinction" but the structure of the word sounds more like "distinctive light".)

The other site lists "Alcarcalime" as the translation of "Roberta", breaking it down into "alcar" glory/brilliance and "calima" light and then inflecting it as a feminine name.

I'd go for "Alcare" if your name is derived from the "rob" part of "Robert". If it's derived from the "bert" part, there's a whole bunch of possible choices you could go for -- stuff derived from "light" (Calie, Calme, Calde, Calien, Calmea, Caldea) or "bright" (Calima, Calime, Calimie) would all be appropriate.

If you like the "glory" way of going about it, "Gloria" is "Aglariel" on one list and "Alcare" (pronounced "al-CAH-ray" if I'm not mistaken) on the other.
Less Bert more Rob XD

How does Elvish do a diminutive form? Is there information on this? XD (You know, like Bill instead of William XD)

Thanks for the answer :3
Old Posted 05-23-2016, 03:40 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #31  
*looks it up* Diminutives are -lle for feminine and -llo for masculine. So maybe "Alcarelle"? That's four syllables, by the way, "al-CAH-re-lle" if I'm not mistaken.

Old Posted 05-23-2016, 10:58 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Huh, that's interesting. The Elven forms of my given and chosen names (well, the closest one to it) are similar -- Váne(varyar), Váne being "beauty" or actually, "grace", and Varyar meaning "protector".
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 05-25-2016, 01:29 PM Reply With Quote  

Tags
elvish, for fun, names, tolkien, your name